The use it or lose it challenge - please join in

Comments

• svb53 wrote: »
    close call Jewellery fan!! I had to go into a town centre for work today, and all I saw were sale posters screaming at me. Particularly the La Senza ones! Luckily I resisited. How my attitude has changed though in such a short time. Up until my LBM on xmas eve, I would've thought nothing at paying £4 0r £5 on lunch at work, or magazines and chocoalte. Today I seriously begrudged paying 40p for the car park.
    To everyone who has joined today, welcome aboard, great to see so many of you.
    I'm having a night curled up on the sofa, finishing off one of those books that has gathered dust for over a year. One down, several hundred to go!

SVB X

Its gets me like that now, I think every time i spend. My town centre parking is £1.10 per hour :eek::eek::eek:, I try to whizz round now. In the past ive just strolled around and spent about £4-5 on parking. Ive just worked out that parking every week for a year and sometimes more than once a week. Is half my mycredit card bill :eek::eek::eek:. I can get a return bus ticket, right from my door for £3-80 and it has no time limit, it lasts al day.

Bl;);)x
    Thankyou to all who have the good heart to help me.
    Current weight 14-0 lossed 10lb Looking to save £s and shed lbs
    Christmas 2010 £14 (£2 coins) Savings £12 Emergency Fund £10. Even if you are the right track, you will get ran over if you stand still

• makeup
    makeup Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    OK, I really need to join this list.

I've been half-heartedly doing this but I do need to get down to it properly. I've two big ambitions for the year, both of which require cold hard cash - here are my list of things that I need to use or lose:

Toiletries (I was devastated not to find any of those big Soap & Glory hatboxes that were on sale for £20 in Boots just before Xmas but really I was lucky cos have a massive stash of smellies already :eek:)
    Books
    DVD's
    Herbal tea bags ( a bizarrely healthy vice of mine)
    Cooking ingredients

I'm the same as bloojeans, need to check the fridge / freezer before going shopping and working out if really need to go or can manage without

I actually started last night by doing the first application of my Boots No 7 Gycolic Peel that I bought earlier in the year on some kind of glitch for a bargain price.

This challenge may actually make me look younger :rotfl::T
    I've got my own flat :j:j

Now I have to pay the bills :eek:

And feed my interiors addiction ;)
  • makeup wrote: »
    OK, I really need to join this list.

I've been half-heartedly doing this but I do need to get down to it properly. I've two big ambitions for the year, both of which require cold hard cash - here are my list of things that I need to use or lose:

Toiletries (I was devastated not to find any of those big Soap & Glory hatboxes that were on sale for £20 in Boots just before Xmas but really I was lucky cos have a massive stash of smellies already :eek:)
    Books
    DVD's
    Herbal tea bags ( a bizarrely healthy vice of mine)
    Cooking ingredients

I'm the same as bloojeans, need to check the fridge / freezer before going shopping and working out if really need to go or can manage without

I actually started last night by doing the first application of my Boots No 7 Gycolic Peel that I bought earlier in the year on some kind of glitch for a bargain price.

This challenge may actually make me look younger :rotfl::T

Welcome! :beer:

Just wanted to say that your signature really made me smile. I'm due to exchange and complete on my first flat hopefully next week and that in mind has stopped me spending so much :D

Although rather than saying "i need a new top/jeans/shoes etc", im now saying "i need a microwave, fridge, freezer, mirror etc etc!" :rotfl::rotfl:
    Saving my pennies for my wedding on 10th August 2013! :D :j
    First date 28/01/2010 :) Engaged 25/08/2011 :D Getting married 10/08/2013 :j
  • Hi All,

We moved about two years ago and carted loads of what can only be described as junk with us and that was after a major sort out! How can you fit that much stuff into a one bed flat?!? :rotfl:

Anyway, our new house has involved major renovations so lots of our stuff just ended up sitting in boxes. Eventually I got so fed up of having to move boxes all the time that I decided to have a proper get rid of everything day, even some of my shoes! :eek: It sounds a bit stupid but when the stuff had gone I felt lighter and boy was it easier to keep the place tidy!

Anyway, now whenever I go to buy something new I think over what I already have (which is easier now I have less!).

My parents are major horders and whenever I visit their piles of stuff acts as an extra reminder!

Now where is that shiny halo icon?
    Trying hard to remember... "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." David Coperfield
    [STRIKE]C/C £800[/STRIKE] paid off February! :T
    And onto the next...
  • sibles
    sibles Posts: 234 Forumite
    We are having a sort out over the next couple of days and my plan is to put all the unread books onto one bookshelf so they are all together.

Then smellies wise I'm going to work through, and the only thing I'll have to buy is shampoo.

I'm also going to join the less than £100 spent on clothes for the year challenge!
    Clicking, searching and surveying my way to a life of debt freedom!
    Debt Free 27th Nov 2012
    Weight Loss so far: [STRIKE]12lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]13lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]15lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]16lb[/STRIKE] 17lb
  • svb53
    svb53 Posts: 214 Forumite
    well, i've made a start and have listed some clothes on ebay tonight. Found plenty more, they just need a good iron before I can photograph them. Hubby and I both have the day off tomorrow, so we are having a sort out, ebaying a load of bits, charity bagging some, and burning old paperwork on a bonfire etc.
    Hopefully ebay will do well, because I've just remembered I have my MOT at the end of this month, just before I get paid again. Ebay and Amazon it is then!
    LBM 27/12/14.
    January Ebay and Amazon aim: £500. £22/£500 January weight loss aim 10lb. 0/10.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge £22/£500 by 7th April.
    Nsd January aim 20. PAD starting 29/12/14 £2
  • I have got some dvds and computer games sitting here listed on Musicmagpie.....going to get the cds from the loft and list some of those too. I only listen to a few and have loads so sure I can make a buck there........have received the packaging from mazuma obile to sell them my unworking phone that was dropped down the loo - only £6 but better off my debts than cluttering up the house. I have also sold some busts that I had for jewellery displays and have some other stuff to list but will do that tomorrow maybe.
  • makeup
    makeup Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    Welcome! :beer:

Just wanted to say that your signature really made me smile. I'm due to exchange and complete on my first flat hopefully next week and that in mind has stopped me spending so much :D

Although rather than saying "i need a new top/jeans/shoes etc", im now saying "i need a microwave, fridge, freezer, mirror etc etc!" :rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks jewelleryfan - and congratulations! How exciting :j:beer:

I know what you mean though, I nearly about a place last year and realised how much stuff I would need to buy just to have the essentials :eek:

Still will be lovely to move and know that I'm only moving with stuff I really need or love and not a load of old junk which would be how it is at the moment .....
    I've got my own flat :j:j

Now I have to pay the bills :eek:

And feed my interiors addiction ;)
  • A good and bad day for me today. My ironing board snapped mid-iron. I was determined that I wouldn't be buying another and carried on with one of those mini occasional-use ones from ikea. Chuffed as was determined to get buy without having to spend any money. Also, whilst cleaning out tumble drier found an earring that I lost about 2 years ago. How sad am I, I had kept the other one as they were my favourite pair in the hope that one day it might reappear, and it did!

Also, 2 neices invited themselves round for tea and a sleepover. Had just baked bread so we all had scrambled egg on toast, with enough eggs left over for the essential pancake breakfast they will require in the morning. Have hardly any food left in the house with which to make meals with but am determined to see it through until I absolutely have to go the supermarket. Need milk but will send kids in morning so I won't be tempted to get other things too. All that's left in freezer is pack of burgers, some oven chips (one meal) pack of mince, 2 packets of salmon portions and about 10lbs of frozen blackcurrants from garden.

am planning on turning the blackcurrants into jam as have some stuff in cupboard but will require about 3 bags of sugar to do this, am also planning on making some sort of pasta bake /bolognaise thingy as have some baby bels that I could chuck in, not too sure what to do with the salmon (have rice and pasta and 3 potatoes left but no onions or anything like that. Any ideas?

Also, found 39 pence in tumble drier so feel rich!
  • Count me in.

When I moved 5 years ago I put loads of boxes Turns out there must have been a couple just with toileties (I don't even buy that many just seem to accumulate). The bathroom & bedroom is now starting to get full as are book shelves, DVD cabinet, magazine folders, craft cupboards, etc. :eek:

Time to use it or lose it!
    Making small changes everyday....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family