🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Free NHS smoking quit pack... Order online

Options

Comments

• BohemianCoast
    Options
    I don't smoke but the current kit contains a Tangle -- a £3 value. My son has Asperger and Tangles are recommended for fidgetty kids with Asperger. I like them too. So I have ordered one; refusing to say how much I smoke rather than telling them I don't (though that was an option). I won't lie to get a freebie.
    Make £2023 in 2023: (all decluttering), current total £2860 me, £330 for friends & family, £468 charity donations.
  • Pechow
    Pechow Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Ordering one for my Mum, she'll be angry at me but it's worth a shot, and she is the one who keeps saying she'd like to quit... :)
  • lmp0507
    lmp0507 Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    My local town centre has a stop smoking shop, last year when I attempted (and unfortunately failed) to quit, they were great,
    Went in did a nicotine test to see how much was in my system,
    Talked me through the various products they offered for free (gum, patches, inhalors etc)
    Prescribed me with a FREE prescription,
    asked if I would like phone support and then called at least once a week to see how I was doing and if I needed anymore help.
    They were absolutely great to be honest.
  • CyberLouis
    Options
    Any way that allows smokers to quit smoking is good. But when it comes to pharmaceutical medications it is certainly worth paying attention to drug interactions such as violence and homicidal leanings, both as a patient and as a concerned parent, family member or friend. Note that according to a 2010 study published in the journal PLoS One5, half of the top 10 drugs linked with violent behavior including suicide, are antidepressants. Varenicline (Chantix) happens to be a resurrected antidepressant now used to help smokers quit smoking. It was found to be the number one violence-inducing drug on the list. So be warned that this anti-smoking medication is 18 times more likely to be linked with violence when compared to other drugs. Surely it would be better for your loved one to continue smoking than to die from suicide or murdering a friend and ending up in jail because of Chantix. To quit and stay quit, smokers need to know their “triggers” so they can be overcome. Once “triggers” have been determined and resolved using a Management Plan, smokers generally remain smoke-free for life. I have spent 31 years as a Chinese Medicine Practitioner (at ANTRAC Acupuncture Clinic) studying addiction and helping smokers to be free from addiction. I have determined 13 triggers that keep smokers addicted. I am not sure about the cost of cigarettes in Great Britain, but in Australia smoking 20 cigarettes per day costs $4,500 per year, or $45,000 in 10 years. Quitting smoking sure is a great way to save a LOT of money.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a thought - whatever money off vouchers they send you with the "kit".....

Those products are still much cheaper on prescription from your GP, then you only pay the prescription charge...
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,960 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    New Stoptober link http://www.smokefree.nhs.uk/stoptober/?&gclid=CKaA_7HWqrICFdJvfAodvEQArA

Order your free Stoptober pack to get tools and tips on how to prepare for Stoptober, a 28 day calendar to track your progress, and a stress toy to help keep your hands busy!

Register for our new app to help you monitor your progress and stay on track during Stoptober. You can use it online or on your smartphone

We're right alongside you every step of the way during Stoptober with lots of free support to help you through the 28 days. You can order a free pack, sign up for the online and smartphone app or register for motivational text support.
    So don't let October become just like any other month – join Stoptober today!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sheep-ali
    Options
    When I click on the join now part of the stoptober web page, I get a warning about security & advised to close the page :(
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I also get the warning site so I get out quick.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,960 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I registered as I figured that the nhs website should be ok, I did get the warning but just ignored it as my kit came a couple of years ago when I ordered it.

I did use a different email address though that I only use for freebies.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • unoriginal_uk
    Options
    4 weeks smoke free today thanks in part to Stoptober but also my own will power. A big tip - don't pay any attention to them trying to feed you with patches/gum etc - all this does is keep the nicotine in your system and therefore keeps you craving the cigarettes! I did it cold turkey (after ten years on 20 a day) and the past 48-72 hours were hard with my body craving the nicotine but after that was pretty easy - unbelievably easy actually!
    Official DFW Nerd 1390 MFW 0/1800

Competitions won so far: A years free pizza/Eden project trip & hotel stay/Baby gift set/Baby voucher/Baby bottle/Books/Pedometer/Soup and Mug/Dotcom gift bundle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport