New Thrifty Gifty - Organised for Christmas and all ocassions 2010- Santas Challenges

edited 17 September 2010 at 9:42PM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
6.2K replies 405.6K views

Replies

• Rachelet - thanks for the recipe - now posted on the Jan Grocery Challenge

Went to [EMAIL="Mat@lans"][email protected][/EMAIL] today - there wasn't much but I got a teddy for £3.75 was £14.99 and a mans t-shirt for £3 was £6 so thats another couple of pressies part done - loving this thread - makes me really conscious about what I'm spending and for who. Just before Xmas I ordered some books for DS and got some Dr Who books free and today Mum gave me another Dr Who book so thats tomorrows Birthday present sorted for DS friend - total cost = nothing

Off to update siggy mow

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • mum2onemum2one Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    junior_j wrote: »
    :jHello Ladies!

First of all let me wish you all a happy and healthy new year!!!:beer:

Me - well i am only 17 so will be staying in and enjoying a drink , can't be bothered will all this trying to get in a pub underage just to end up drinking some cheap cider on the streets lol. (Bit old before my time i think!)

Instead today I have cleaned my room ( have loads left to do ) and looked through my bags of presents for next Xmas!

So far I have

Nan- A lovely purple scarf pound in pound land ( looks like it could cost a whole bunch more and i always give her a small/cheap thing with her proper present so she has more then 1 thing to open lol) That is already wrapped and tagged for next Xmas.

My friends 9 year old has for next Xmas High school musical lip gloss's on key ring reduced to 79p (forgot to give them to her this Xmas .. whoops.)

And now my mind has gone completely blank LOL

I have all my wrapping paper , tags and cards (brought in the sales of course) And 2 merry Xmas teddy bears. (reduced to 50p and are lovely and cute perfect stocking fillers)

I have also devised my first folder (this is for bank/identification/solicertors( i was in accident in a taxi 1st of Dec)

and certificates and test results (as i go college and training and full time work so i always end up needed to show different tutors/boss's different things to prove i have done them ect.

The next folder will be for my spending , i need to learn to save better and stop impulse buying. I have refused to sign up to any catalogs, loans , over drafts anything for when i turn 18. I have my debit account and i am happy with that (with no over draft i may add) I have seen family/friends get into debt and there is no way i am doing that. I dont pay rent at home( as am only on 95 a week apprentice wage) so do not have to worry about moving out so will spend the next year-two years saving for my first flat (Which i hope to privately rent locally also i need to save for driving lessons , although my provisional has already been paid for!

The last folder will be Xmas/Birthdays/Nights out/Special occasions and leisure money. i will also keep travel reciepts and once a month i plan to go through them and see if there is a cheaper way to live my life lol. I may sound like a bit of a geek but my philosophy is in 10 years time , i will live in a nice house , with a nice car, with nice clothes and financially stable bank account ...maybe im dreaming but that is the ultimate plan! x

With ambitions like that and the brains being organised, your be in that house xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
    16.3K Posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone wants the spreadsheet that is set up the monthly expenses (ties in with early Jan 1st - organised money bit) pm me and i will forward it on, may be a bit easier to work than than copying and pasteing.

HAPPY NEW YEAR XX
    16.3K Posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A flying hi, and a Happy New Year, was thinking about New Years resolutions and as always
    Grow nails
    Lose Weight

but this year added in.....
    Better time mgt
    Better money management
    not to complain.......

But alas the last hasn't quite worked ......

New Year Eve - Have a massive bust up with a retailer that the title completes.... Hayleys....

just of it brought dad a Sat Nav in Nov £130 - for his xmas prezzie, set it up to use 2 come to Devon...

The sat nav was is a foreign language and dispite it having 10 books of different languages none of them matched....

The helpline didn't want to know - told me to take it back to store, but I do realise there be busy as its New yrs eve... doubt I'd be able to park close... when I told the bloke I was disabled (in the context that I'm on crutches and can't walk,) his comments were basically - ur disabled are you sure you haven't done anything to it....... you might not realise being disabled -

Then rang the store, not there problem blah blah blah, that the car park was almost full, when I explained that I was on crutches (the here we go again...) while park away and do what you can.....and your disabled (yes - as well as me mentioning it, I think they had been in touch with head office) they didn't believe me about the language - and again was I sure my disability hadn't affected my judgement....

HAD STEAM COMING OUT EVERYWHERE- NEXT STEP - RANG TRADING STANDARDS (ANSWERING MACHINE), RANG MY LOCAL PAPER - can they take up the story, YES, can we meet the photographer outside the store - YES - in 10 mins time (oh christ - yes) - theres me trying to lean over the bonnet of the car whilst looking miserable.....

The store got the Sat Nav changed - they had to ring up the manufacturer, then to top it, IT DOES N'T WORK - we're on the M5 at Worcester, the Sat Nav had us in Hereford........rerang the store - they don't want the Sat NAv - want me to use another store......

PART 2 - TUESDAY.......tbc

Had a disagreement in the Travelodge - the harry rasdmens didn't want to accept the AA discount 20% off the meals, the girl told me we'd be giving discount to every tom,!!!!!! and harry....... she stormed off in a huff to phone her mgr who wouldn't want to be disturbed......why not ring up head office - no to much trouble - came back - had to apologise we were right.... so I suggested that she might like to review the tom, !!!!!! and harry, as I'm female...xx
  • mum2one wrote: »
    A flying hi, and a Happy New Year, was thinking about New Years resolutions and as always
    Grow nails
    Lose Weight

but this year added in.....
    Better time mgt
    Better money management
    not to complain.......

But alas the last hasn't quite worked ......

New Year Eve - Have a massive bust up with a retailer that the title completes.... Hayleys....

just of it brought dad a Sat Nav in Nov £130 - for his xmas prezzie, set it up to use 2 come to Devon...

The sat nav was is a foreign language and dispite it having 10 books of different languages none of them matched....

The helpline didn't want to know - told me to take it back to store, but I do realise there be busy as its New yrs eve... doubt I'd be able to park close... when I told the bloke I was disabled (in the context that I'm on crutches and can't walk,) his comments were basically - ur disabled are you sure you haven't done anything to it....... you might not realise being disabled -

Then rang the store, not there problem blah blah blah, that the car park was almost full, when I explained that I was on crutches (the here we go again...) while park away and do what you can.....and your disabled (yes - as well as me mentioning it, I think they had been in touch with head office) they didn't believe me about the language - and again was I sure my disability hadn't affected my judgement....

HAD STEAM COMING OUT EVERYWHERE- NEXT STEP - RANG TRADING STANDARDS (ANSWERING MACHINE), RANG MY LOCAL PAPER - can they take up the story, YES, can we meet the photographer outside the store - YES - in 10 mins time (oh christ - yes) - theres me trying to lean over the bonnet of the car whilst looking miserable.....

The store got the Sat Nav changed - they had to ring up the manufacturer, then to top it, IT DOES N'T WORK - we're on the M5 at Worcester, the Sat Nav had us in Hereford........rerang the store - they don't want the Sat NAv - want me to use another store......

PART 2 - TUESDAY.......tbc

Had a disagreement in the Travelodge - the harry rasdmens didn't want to accept the AA discount 20% off the meals, the girl told me we'd be giving discount to every tom,!!!!!! and harry....... she stormed off in a huff to phone her mgr who wouldn't want to be disturbed......why not ring up head office - no to much trouble - came back - had to apologise we were right.... so I suggested that she might like to review the tom, !!!!!! and harry, as I'm female...xx

lmao! you sound like you have a very eventful life! you have made my evening! :rotfl:
  • sylphravensylphraven Forumite
    700 Posts
    ✭✭
    Mum2one, if I ever have a problem with service etc I'm sending you a PM to take up the case, I love how you argue it out (I wouldnt have the guts). How DARE they suggest your disability may inpair your judgement, how prejudice is that .... I think thats plenty of rope for them to hang themselves!!
    You cant take a step forward with both feet on the ground
  • Winter_JasmineWinter_Jasmine Forumite
    893 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi mum2one - well done on getting the results - cheeky b%$"@*&s!!!

Went into town today and bought my cards and wrap for next Christmas - Birthdays had all their wrap down to 49p a roll and M&S to 50p a roll and got pack of 24 cards (really nice with 3d bits on) for 99p from Card Warehouse. I'm going to make all special cards but don't think I'd be able to manage the whole lot.

I've just been given a glut of lemons and am hoping to make limoncello with them to give as presents - does anyone know where I can get cheap clear glass bottles from (I was thinking 250ml size)? I've been looking at hombrew sites but got a bit lost!

Thanks all xx
    "Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now"

MFW: Mortgage Cleared!!! 14 1/2 years early :D
  • Hi everyone... Happy New Year...

I had such an eventful day - which is a total comparison to my usual boring life lol... Well got sick of not seeing anything but hills and sheep for the past 2 weeks and decided to take the trek of 70+ miles to Town. It took 3 hours to do a usual 1 and a half hour trip as cars were sliding everywhere, and there was an accident - no one hurt thankfully. Then on the way home, we couldn't get up one of the steep hills, had to get out and try and push, thankfully our neighbours were on there way home with a 4x4 and towed us over the hill and we managed to crawl home... another 3 hours.... crazy stuff this snow malarky... I think the novelty has well and truely worn off now...

anyways....

When I finally got to town went round the shops, the usuall, next, m&s, debenhams, and was rather disappointed......I did however, pick up a set of those boxes which are in the argos sale, they look beautiful, very happy with them, and i'm glad i picked up a set for mum, she was delighted...as well as the tea towels for £1.49.... i'm going to try and have a think of what to do with these for my mum's christmas.

My biggest bargains of today came from good old tesco... went in there just to get a sandwich, and ended up coming out with some rather good bargains.

The items included
    tea cup with biscuits, tea bag, and a teabag holder you know the thing you put your used teabag into?? 93p reduced from £5

2 x cappuccino *spelling?* cups with a small grater, stuff to make the drink, and some chocs 93p reduced from £5

2 x jam carousel's with 3 mini pots of jam 93p reduced from £5

2 x pestle and mortar with salt and pepper inside 93p reduced from £5

1 x hot chocolate set with 2 quite big cups, greens and black cocoa (a small tub full) and some G&B chocs for £2.50 reduced from £10

1 x box set with 2 x special oils...??? vinegars... i'm sure balsamic vinegar was in there, tubs of salt and pepper, little tubs of different herbs like parsley, basil etc... for the grand total of £2.25 reduced from £12

4 x 50 pack of christmas cards for 13p, reduced from 50p

4 x rolls of wrapping paper 2 x 6m 2 x 10m for 25p each - reduced from £1 each

2 x packs of silver bows 24p reduced from 97p

There was a few other things, that I wish i'd taken my purse with me, there was a little basil oil dipping set for only 93p, and a little hot water bottle set with cocoa and chocs and whisk for £1.87...some hot chocolate mugs and some coffee mugs....To be honest I wish I could have afforded them all, they were such great bargains...usually I miss out on these kinda things, but I got stuck in lol..

These things all have best before dates, which run out during 2010, but I have birthdays and mothers day early in the year and these would be perfect... but even though I could still open up the cups and replace the chocolates/biscuits etc to suit the receiver. I was so excited at actually getting some things so early on I had to share it with someone, even got the hubby in on the game, and HE CHOSE THE WRAPPING PAPER!!!

Sorry for long post...

hope you are all having a lovely night

emmy xxx
    2008 Wins: 2 x VIP tickets to Ministry Of Sound, Umbrella, Tea Towel, £50 Tesco Gift Card, Amplifier (worth over £1,100 alone).

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You" (Dr Seuss)
  • junior_jjunior_j Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mary-op wrote: »
    Hello all :j

Junior -good to see someone so young being so organised...............like the idea of the ID folder.......is that a small folder or A4 size ? I could do with something along a small ID line...........I don't drive and first thing I'm always asked for is a driving license :mad:

Hiya i Have a A4 folder and in the section marked ID i have my nhs card , a bank statement and will put in a copy of my national insurance number (As keep card safe in drawer lol) passport and a bill. That way if i know i have to bring x amount of id for some thing i bring the amount required plus one to make sure i am covered! as am fed up rushing about the house trying to find ID lol.
    98jdougl wrote: »
    well Christmas tree is down - was just getting a bit much with the cat attacking it and since both me and oh were off yesterday seemed as good a time s any to do it - room looks so bare now though :(

We have 2 cats (Adult who dont seem interested with the tree) 2 kittens who are 6 months who spend the entire Xmas in the tree with the baubles on the floor and 1 kitten who is 11 weeks old and he was not to interested lol. Then on the 27th mum asked if i could have a tidy up whilst she went the docs and i tidied hoovered the kittens decided they did not like hte tree decs batted them to the floor so i gave up took the friggen thing down lol

Brought this luxury soap thing in asdas looks lovely reduced to a pound , could go in a hamper or be a stocking present lol I have just learnt to buy on ebay and ladies i am addicted! x
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
  • I've just wrapped and gift bagged my friends birthday presents, using wrapping paper and a giftbag i already had! Also picked up a war magazine, the good shiny tick type half price at 2.50 in WHsmith for my grandads birthday hamper :)

mom2one I didn't have much time to expand last night, I think the way you handled all those events was great! I don't know anyone who would have the guts to respond the way you did, you are my idol! :beer: Especially with the whole newspaper thing. I also hate restraunts/theme parks ect who try to tell me i cannot use my discount when i know I can, for example in Superdrug they said i could only use my NUS card on purchases over £10, when a week before I was told I could use it whenever! I did not leave without my discount! I say forget the new years resolution of no complaining, they cannot use your disability against you and you deserve the same service that anyone else gets!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals