Standard Life Shares

Options

Comments

• ReportInvestor
    ReportInvestor Posts: 3,646 Forumite
    Options
    Presentations to the City have received mixed receptions.

But the Scotsman's "Standard Life Share-o-meter" is at an all time high.

Monday's press comment
  • agentzoonie
    agentzoonie Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, RI, you're right, we came to that conclusion in our further discussions. Concluded in the end to keep the shares but opt for a share certificate, and treat the shares as exactly what they are - a windfall.
    Thanks for your comment.
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found this late as ususal.:o
    I only have 263 shares from SL and I would prefer to sell and get the cash now as I can't really see any bebefit to me of holding on to them.
    I'd really appreciate advice on the 'best sell' method very simply put.
    I have gone through some of all related threads and like a few more people i'm still confused.
    TThese legal financial things scare me to death so thanks to anyone who's kind enough to help:beer:
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• ReportInvestor
    Options
    Hi nm,

Complete the green form - Step 2 - with just your signature and date and hope that first class post gets it to Computershare in Bristol by 10.00am on Wednesday.

That should do the trick in most cases.

It will cost you £10 (deducted from the share sale, so nothing for you to do).

You should get a cheque for the proceeds sent to you on or before 17 July 2006.

This will unfortunately mean that you don't get any benefit should Standard Life shares go to a premium in the first week of dealings, but it does take the hassle out of the process for novices & it's as cheap a sale as you can get. Also it protects you if a market crash happens in the first few days of dealings.
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks very much RI, I think that's what I'll do then.

I doubt very much I would cope witht the hassle of wheeling and dealing but I'll be gutted if I could hav e waited and maybe doubled my money or more even:eek: :D
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• ReportInvestor
    Options
    The Telegraph

With less than 24 hours left, is Standard going to be "priced to go"?

"......The flotation price has already been cut once and is now expected to be set at the bottom of the 210p-270p a share price range. Some analysts are saying Standard Life will be "priced to go" at close to the lower end of the £4.8bn-£5.5bn range so it enjoys a strong debut as a quoted company, despite the turbulence in the stock market.........."

RI - This speculation, if correct, might signal bad news for immediate sellers, but potentially good news for those who have applied for extra shares.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Amidst all the swirl can we be sure that the shares are priced by a 'fair' mechansism? Are there any links to accounts of how the share price for the offer is actually determined?

Thanks M
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • ReportInvestor
    Options
    "Swirl" is a good description of the pricing process as well, M.

It really will all come out in the wash, depending on institutional demand, member/customer demand and member share sales already notified.

No-one really knows. And the City will do its best to get the initial price as low as possible.

All three papers commenting on Tuesday have hit an cautiously optimistic note
  • ReportInvestor
    Options
    Now that it's too late for this to be construed as advice/ encouragement, I can say what I've done.

I've invested extra on the basis that in current market conditions, amid investor uncertainty, the City will have been able to lower the price of the initial offer and so I believe that the initial price minus 5% may represent good value.

But I could easily be wrong as no-one knows who's buying and who's selling and in what quantities :o
  • ReportInvestor
    Options
    Milarky wrote:
    Amidst all the swirl can we be sure that the shares are priced by a 'fair' mechansism? Are there any links to accounts of how the share price for the offer is actually determined?

Thanks M
    The Investors' Association went to the Standard Life EGM/AGM in Edinburgh to make exactly this point on behalf of 2.4 million members.

We specifically said that if the price next Monday was way ahead of the IPO price paid to investors who sold, and City institutions who bought, then we would be returning to next year's AGM to ask why and how?

Investors' Association and Fred Woollard issue windfall warning to the Standard Life board

Standard Life's Chairman, Brian Stewart, publicly gave us his commitment at that meeting to maximise value for members.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure