Standard Life Shares

Options

Comments

• Save&Spend
    Save&Spend Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Decided to buy some more shares and opted for certificate.
    Investing in shares is a game of probability, there is more upside than downside in this instance.
  • pro_bono
    pro_bono Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have decided to hold shares at the moment, in the form of a share certificate. No real reson why,.. other than I did this with the other windfalls and have not really suffered finanically. Depending on the financial pages I may get rid straight away if the price starts going south though.
    :beer: Pro Bono Publico :beer:
  • DocProc
    DocProc Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a reminder to anyone reading this thread and sending a cheque off to SL.

DO NOT USE A STAPLE
    TO AFFIX YOUR CHEQUE TO THE FORM

MAKE SURE YOU DO USE A PIN AS THEY INSTRUCT

Many, many people have had their application forms thrown out for even a lesser mistake than this.

PS. Clever Wifey has just stopped herself from sending off the 'colour photocopy' of the application form, instead of the 'original'. :-)
  • cheggers
    cheggers Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Dam I ticked the box for the SL share account, how much are they going to charge me to sell my shares?

Say I was selling £1,000 worth of SL share, what would the SL share account chagre me?
  • cautious_bob
    Options
    'STEP 5 - If you do NOT want to hold yr shares in the SL Share Ac and would prefer to rcv. a share cert instead please tick this box'

So if I understand you right, then you have got what you want?
    Hope this helps

Bob
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cheggers wrote:
    Dam I ticked the box for the SL share account, how much are they going to charge me to sell my shares?

Say I was selling £1,000 worth of SL share, what would the SL share account chagre me?
    0.5% if you do the transaction online, with no maximum and £15 minimum. So that would cost you £15.

The SL share account is only particularly bad value once you sell enough shares to go over their minimum charge - which would be £3,000 worth. Because then other institutions will sell virtually any amount for their own fixed charge, whilst the SL account will keep on creaming off 0.5%.

If you are lucky enough to have got lots of free shares, or have opted to buy lots more, so they are worth £10,000 (say) the SL share account would cost you £50 to sell them whereas you could do it for c.£10-£15 elsewhere.

Anyway - chill - if they get taken over by someone it won't (necessarily) cost anything to sell up!
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rchddap1 wrote:
    Have finally decided to sell my shares immediately. I am pregnant at the moment and am working on my little savings stash. I'm only authorised to 203 shares, but the money would be useful to put towards bean. £500 now could be very useful to us in the next 6 to 12 months.

Shame, because otherwise I would have kept the shares.

TBH, i think everyone who has opt to sell straight away are making a misstake, as they will be sold by SL at the lowest price to satisfy the big insitutionalm investors £2.20 my guess, best to wait a few weeks to catch the rise.
    Personaly i am holding onto mine as i think there could be a takeover. SL are a small company in the global field.
  • jpvic
    jpvic Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to start the takeover rumour in August :) and I will want my staple back!

Doppelter Pfosten danke
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh heck I get the feeling I think they will sell low first off like plumb1 says. Even though I'd like the money I do think they will go a bit higher later on.

I was going to just sell but I'm thinking to save and wait for a while now but not sure which is best, certificate or share account? Does it cost anything to have a share account or certificate? I'm not experienced with shares. Do you gain any interest while keeping these shares? I got 485. Not sure if to sell them and put them in a high interest account instead if they sell at £2.20 that works out at £1067 do I lose anything off that amount too?

My grandaughter says she will post it for me this evening so I have to make a decision very soon. I really want them in the post ready to go on Monday morning

Anyone have any advice for me please?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    I understand what you're saying plumb. And under normal circumstances I would hold onto them. But I do only have 200 shares. For it to really make a big difference to me the share price would have to sky rocket.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure