Standard Life Shares

Options

Comments

• VickyM_2
    VickyM_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone else see the huge irony in all this? I've only got shares because I had an endowment with them; I claimed my endowment was mis-sold because I have an adverse attitude to risk and didn't want to be dependent on the stock market, and got compensated on that basis, and I'm sure a lot of other people are in exactly the same situation.

And now we're all dithering about whether to sell or keep shares that we didn't want in the first place!
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote:
    Unless you are opting to sell on flotation, I think it's mad to use the SL share account. If you do so, you can ONLY sell through SL's arrangement with Computershare, and the rates are extortionate - 0.5% for online deals, with a £15 minimum but NO maximum.

As an earlier post said, opt for the share certificate and then "dematerialise" the shares with a cheap online share dealing firm e.g. TD Waterhouse or whatever, then sell them when it's suitable for you at a FIXED amount of c.£15.

I sent my form off today asking for a certificate. I don't want an account that they are going to charge me to close if I want someone else to sell them for me in the future.
  • gort_2
    gort_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    If Standard Life are a takeover target in the future ,will that affect the shares in a positive way?, and if that's the case is it worth holding on to them for a while.
    "Gort...Klaatu barada nikto"
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Thing is............yes it could be positive if there was a takeover but nothing in this life is guaranteed and Im afraid after Standard Life retracting their "PROMISES" I for one don't have a lot of faith in them anymore.

I hope Im proved wrong for the millions of people that have huge shortfalls in their mortgages but Im not holding my breath.

My next step after the Feb statements is to find out who are the genuine companies that buy endowments unless of course.......the statements are back on track.......oh and pigs might fly!!!
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband has a pension with Standard Life since 1998. He is a member of his company pension plan and he has not been sent an offer of shares from Satndard Life so its is looking like his boss is getting all the shares for all the members???? How can this be fair? Does anybody know if there is anything we can do?
  • sandymac_3
    Options
    Apologies for being stupid but I assume I shouldn't sell my endowment until the shares have gone through?

Won't be keeping either shares or endowment - had enough of Standard Life! Gonna put it into bricks and mortar instead...
  • Chrismaths
    Chrismaths Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    mae, your husband has a company pension scheme, the pension trustees own the standard life pension plan, therefore the company pension scheme will get the shares. That is entirely fair. The shares will not go to his 'boss', but into the pension scheme to enhance the value of the scheme.

sandymac, good luck with bricks and mortar - I wouldn't touch BTL with a 10 foot disinfected barge pole personally...
    I'm an Investment Manager. Any comments I make on this board should be not be construed as advice, and are for general information purposes only.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whats BTL?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • paula.paula13
    Options
    Mmm... I have also received my share letter today = 334 shares. I got a share allocation when Halifax floated years ago and have often regretted not selling them immediately as the value of them dropped sharply after the initial buzz. Now I need to decide on the Standard Life ones. My instinct says to sign the form saying I want to sell them - what do the rest of you think?
  • Chrismaths
    Chrismaths Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    Buy-To-Let. Buying a house to rent out.
    I'm an Investment Manager. Any comments I make on this board should be not be construed as advice, and are for general information purposes only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure