Parcel Service (Not RM!!) Scam Warning

Options

Comments

• pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2009 at 9:14AM
    Options
    If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.
    Obviously you don't understand the whole internet thing. Hoaxes are sent via email all the time and this blatantly is one; they spread via the gullible and I'm afraid you've been stitched up like a kipper, e.g. you have been easy to trick into passing on this hoax email. Scams (e.g. Nigerian scams, lottery scams, impersonating website scams, and many more scams) are also sent via email. Due to the naivety you have displayed, your a prime target for these, so you should be extra careful of these to avoid being taken in again. As you felt the need to warn us it's only fair we warn you...

Regards :D
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    Don't understand why the OP is being villified for trying to raise awareness of a scam (of any sort). If some of the details are a tad off, does it really matter? Main thing is that this sort of deception has been highlighted and, hopefully, will act as a reminder and save some poor soul from being scammed.

Season of goodwill and all that; be nice!

I don't think it's nice to pass on an obvious hoax.

They key rule of thumb is, thatn if you receive an email warning of a scam, do not pass it on until you have checked it out. This is basic good manners.

Never assume that the person who sent you such an email would not be taken in.

Emails that warn you of a scam or pitfall and ask you to pass it on are in all but a small number of cases, hoaxes. This is not an obscure fact and it is not unreasonable for people to get exasperated or impatient when preseted with an obvious hoax.

There are numerous sites you can check these things out on, but the easiest way is to type into Google or Yahoo a key phrase from the email with the word "hoax".

Yes it is better to be safe than sorry. The safest thing when sent an email warning is not to pass it on unless you are 111% sure it is genuine.

It is not rude to object to people not taking care when passing on warnings, indeed it is rude of you to sugest there is anything wrong with it.
  • biscit
    Options
    mummypig wrote: »
    Think that is unnecessarily harsh and rude.

Actually no, it isn't.

It was a slightly humourous leg pull.
  • as0ta
    as0ta Posts: 111 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2009 at 12:22PM
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    Corrected your post for you.
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/ask-an-expert/article.html?in_article_id=455751&in_page_id=513

Googled the number and this came up. No wonder it seemed like deja vu.:rolleyes:

Article.
    This is Money
    18 October 2008

I have just received an email warning about a telephone scam. Apparently, a card is posted through your door from a bogus company claiming to have been unable to deliver a package. There is a phone number (0906 6611911) to call for more information, but anyone who rings it will immediately be charged £15.

£315?
  • biscit
    Options
    I also got this.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/pds-phone-scam.html

Pretty much all the top searches are anti-hoax sites.
  • conqueror_uk
    Options
    Hi Thanks for the positive responses Someone sent me the email it looked fake and was not trying to make out RM were scamming - apologies if it seems that way. will change the heading.

For the negative posts baa humbug to you all this is meant to be a warning thread - some warnings will be true and some hoaxs unless you ask how will people know. At least I didnt clog up the email boxes by forwarding to 50 people!!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this - feel free to move to the right place. I just received this email and not sure if it is genuine or not.

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655
    Hi Thanks for the positive responses Someone sent me the email it looked fake and was not trying to make out RM were scamming - apologies if it seems that way. will change the heading.

For the negative posts baa humbug to you all this is meant to be a warning thread - some warnings will be true and some hoaxs unless you ask how will people know. At least I didnt clog up the email boxes by forwarding to 50 people!!

you didnt ask,you told people to circulate this hoax around
    thus perpetuating the same sheep mentality that keeps these odious emails/posts going
  • m_13
    m_13 Posts: 990 Forumite
    Options
    Printed in my local newspaper two weeks ago as 'news'. Obviously short of column inches or some lazy journalist didn't bother checking it out. Now a neighbour has photocopied the article and stuck it all over the communal mailboxes no doubt terrifying my elderly neighbours who never actually receive parcels because the caretaker gets them all!
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

But how far are you going with these warnings? I could just as well post a warning on here about being careful when crossing the road, in case you get run-over. It's true, but irrelevant for this forum.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Although you have changed the heading, you haven't gone far enough. It should read. "This is a warning about a hoax email which you shouldn't pass on to anyone"
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure