Parcel Service (Not RM!!) Scam Warning

Options
conqueror_uk
conqueror_uk Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 10 December 2009 at 7:26PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this - feel free to move to the right place. I just received this email and not sure if it is genuine or not.

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655

Comments

• PolishBigSpender
    Options
    What nonsense - you cannot be billed 315 pounds for listening to a phone call! Also, if it was a real scam - the number would be disconnected rather swiftly.

Engage brain before posting, please! If you're not certain about something being genuine or not - it usually isn't!
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • sweetstudent
    Options
    Can you please advise me on how this is a Royal Mail scam, as your post is implying that the Royal Mail are scamming,,,,,
    :beer:In My 'Permanant' Pre-Masters Gap Year :beer:
    'Married' Apple Fan and Proud
    With 16 Conversions
    I am not affiliated with any company except the one for whom I work!
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it that time of year again already?

Hope I don't wake up in a bath of ice after the office Christmas party with a kidney missing as well.....

Oooops, got to go, the police have just phoned to tell me that they have traced the scary nuisance calls I have been getting to my own bedroom...

TTFN
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this - feel free to move to the right place. I just received this email and not sure if it is genuine or not.

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655

There are loads of variations on this one, it's a hoax. People fall for it all the time

But why is it a post office scam?
  • mummypig_3
    Options
    What nonsense - you cannot be billed 315 pounds for listening to a phone call! Also, if it was a real scam - the number would be disconnected rather swiftly.

Engage brain before posting, please! If you're not certain about something being genuine or not - it usually isn't!

Think that is unnecessarily harsh and rude.
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Well it's partly true. The e-mail itself is just junk, but some of the information contained within it is true enough. There are rouge parcel delivery companies out there that operate like this. Only they don't actually have any parcels to deliver. It featured on Watchdog a number of months ago. But just ignore the e-mail.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's gone up from £15 to £315 in just four years! That's inflation for you. :rotfl:
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    It's gone up from £15 to £315 in just four years! That's inflation for you. :rotfl:

I'm assuming this message has already featured on here before?:p I'm just too lazy to look.;)
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,279 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm assuming this message has already featured on here before?:p I'm just too lazy to look.;)

About once a week on average, but the cost of the phone call is usually less than that.

It was busted as a hoax about 6 years ago and although there is an element of truth in it, as there is a parcel scam, the fact that people clog up internet trafiic by sending this to everyone they know rather means the real message gets lost.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MarsdenCuckoo
    Options
    Don't understand why the OP is being villified for trying to raise awareness of a scam (of any sort). If some of the details are a tad off, does it really matter? Main thing is that this sort of deception has been highlighted and, hopefully, will act as a reminder and save some poor soul from being scammed.

Season of goodwill and all that; be nice!

Thanks OP; I had seen this on the TV a while ago but I think your timely reminder is well worth posting.
    Make the most of everything in life (especially Avon ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure