Parcel Service (Not RM!!) Scam Warning

Options

Comments

• lightsoff
    Options
    There has been incidences round here in the news in a totally different aspect of people knocking on doors and leaving a parcel at the end of the drive, confused occupant goes to pick it up and in the mean time the theives have snook into your house.

I think alot of nasty things happen at xmas, when people get desparate. Even if this original post is a hoax, it just makes you more aware of looking after yourself and your home and family.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP explain how RM are scamming people
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    old old old news rehashed by journos every single year
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    old old old news rehashed by journos every single year

At least this one didn't start off with 'my brother in law who is a policeman' sent me this...

It has always been my experience that those who should know better are the first ones to fall for these spam mails. In fact when I worked in a particular branch of the NHS the system was so clogged up with this rubbish doing the rounds it became a disciplinary offence to forward any of these on via an NHS email account.

I'm sorry I don't usually get so angry on here but my darling mother in law (now deceased) was given a print out of one of these nasty hoaxes by her policeman neighbour, it was the one about the BT engineers really being crooks and listening in through home phones to hear if someone went out so they could break in, that she was terrified in her own home for days. Too frightened even to phone us as she was told if she phoned out or tried to get help they would hear and come and break in to stop her reporting them.

I also agree with some of the other posters, could someone please elaborate how this is a Royal mail scam :confused:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • as0ta
    as0ta Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this - feel free to move to the right place. I just received this email and not sure if it is genuine or not.

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655

This also happened last year. Thank you for telling us.
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    as0ta wrote: »
    This also [STRIKE]happened[/STRIKE] didn't happen last year. Thank you for telling us.
    Corrected your post for you.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Here we go again:-

POSTAL SCAM CHAIN EMAIL – PHONEPAYPLUS’ STATEMENT

PhonepayPlus, the phone-paid services regulator, is aware that a chain e-mail about an alleged postal scam is being circulated on the internet. The email refers to the Royal Mail, Trading Standards and ICSTIS (PhonepayPlus' former name).

PhonepayPlus appreciates that recipients of the email may want to find out more information about the alleged scam and has therefore issued the following statement:

The chain email refers to a service (operating on 0906 6611911) that was shut down by PhonepayPlus (then ICSTIS) in December 2005.

PhonepayPlus subsequently fined the company that was operating the service, Studio Telecom (based in Belize), £10,000.

The service is NO LONGER running and has NOT been running since December 2005.

You do NOT need to contact PhonepayPlus, or the Royal Mail, about this service as it was stopped almost four years ago.

If you receive a copy of the email warning you about the alleged scam, please do NOT forward it to others. Instead, please forward this statement from PhonepayPlus.

If you receive a delivery card through your letterbox which you do not believe is genuine and which asks you to dial a premium rate number, you can contact PhonepayPlus on 0800 500 212 (Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm) for further guidance.

Please go to http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/FAQ.aspx for useful information about how to recognise phone-paid services and understand what they cost, and some simple tips to help you enjoy using services with confidence.

For more detailed information about PhonepayPlus’ work, please visit https://www.phonepayplus.org.uk.
    There is also no current warnings about this particular scam on either the Trading Standards website or the Royal Mail website.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a good piece of advice from the Hoax-Slayer website:-

A real problem with emailed warning such as this is that they often continue to circulate for months or even years after the described threat has disappeared. They also tend to mutate as they travel, further diffusing the truth and relevance of the information they contain.

Before forwarding scam warnings, recipients should always check that the warning is genuine and current. False or outdated warning emails such as this one do nothing more than add to the clutter in our already junk-ridden inboxes and spread misinformation.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    This is a good piece of advice from the Hoax-Slayer website:-

A real problem with emailed warning such as this is that they often continue to circulate for months or even years after the described threat has disappeared. They also tend to mutate as they travel, further diffusing the truth and relevance of the information they contain.

Before forwarding scam warnings, recipients should always check that the warning is genuine and current. False or outdated warning emails such as this one do nothing more than add to the clutter in our already junk-ridden inboxes and spread misinformation.

Good advice indeed. It takes less than a minute to do a check on these hoaxes before posting them everywhere, and I think it is a minute well spent.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't understand why the OP is being villified for trying to raise awareness of a scam (of any sort). If some of the details are a tad off, does it really matter? Main thing is that this sort of deception has been highlighted and, hopefully, will act as a reminder and save some poor soul from being scammed.

Season of goodwill and all that; be nice!

Thanks OP; I had seen this on the TV a while ago but I think your timely reminder is well worth posting.

you do realise there is no scam or deception? nobody will get this phone call, so there is nothing to remind people about.

it's a hoax to alarm and worry people, which this one, and many other different ones do very well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure