Options

Comments

• tcava
    tcava Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondering that's all!
  • barbie_markey
    Options
    I am a bit confused about the BA Executive Club & Air Miles, are they the same scheme?
    I have joined the BA Executive Club and am classed as Blue, apparently get a better chance of bagging an upgrade as a silver member.

Can I exchange my tesco points for air miles and can air miles be trasferred to Executive Club points or are they already the same thing?

Confused from Somerset!
  • archersluck
    Options
    Can you get money off flights if you don't have the right number of miles? Say 20% off a flight to Oz if you had 2000 instead of 10000 airmiles. If so I'll think I'll go with airmiles, but probably won't otherwise, thanks

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
  • digiland_2
    Options
    Go to Airmiles website and have a look. Put in a destination and then you get a choice of an all airmiles free flight and 2 different part airmiles, part cash prices.
  • curlylox
    curlylox Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

No Airmiles and BA miles are not the same thing. They are 2 completely separate reward schemes. You can convert Tesco points into either. I find Airmiles are better for domestic or european flights and BA miles are better for longhaul. You cannot convert BA miles into Airmiles or vice-versa. I hope that this all makes sense.

I am a bit confused about the BA Executive Club & Air Miles, are they the same scheme?
    I have joined the BA Executive Club and am classed as Blue, apparently get a better chance of bagging an upgrade as a silver member.

Can I exchange my tesco points for air miles and can air miles be trasferred to Executive Club points or are they already the same thing?

Confused from Somerset!
    :)I used to have a life............................... before MSE!!
  • bigjim1314
    Options
    Is there any way you can transfer these in to air miles ?
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    bigjim1314 wrote: »
    Is there any way you can transfer these in to air miles ?

I don't think so, I am sure that Airmiles only deal with Tesco in terms of Supermarkets, although via their website you can shop online and earn more airmiles.
  • m00head
    m00head Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I've been doing some number crunching to try and work out which combination of loyalty cards & shops maximise the number of Airmiles you can get in one transaction.

Naturally, the retailers have made it quite complicated to compare the different schemes, but here is my attempt at comparing a couple of high street variants. So, for example:

At Tesco

The best one to use at Tesco is the Lloyds TSB Airmiles Duo American Express along with a standard Tesco Clubcard which is worth 1 mile for every £10 spent on the AMEX, plus 1 mile for every £4.17 spent via the Clubcard (60 Airmiles per £250 spend in Tesco).

At Shell
    Using the Tesco Clubcard Credit Card at Shell along with a Shell Drivers Club loyalty card would be worth 1 mile per £16.67 spent on the credit card (£4 spent = 1 point, so 60 Airmiles per £1000 spent outside Tesco), plus 1 mile for every 20 litres of fuel via the Shell Drivers Club (not the default reward BTW).

The maths: £4 spent = 1 bonus credit card point.
    Spend £100 outside Tesco, you get 25 bonus clubcard points.
    25 points (£0.25 in vouchers) = 6 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 6 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £16.67 spent.

Also, with Shell Drivers Club it increases to 1 Airmile for every 10 litres of fuel if you buy over 200 litres in a single month. However, using this particular combination would remove the option of 3% cashback if you use a Shell Mastercard from Citi at Shell petrol stations.

Other combinations for comparison:

At Tesco
    Using the Tesco Clubcard Credit Card (the older the better) would be worth
    1 Airmile for every £3.33 spent.

The maths: £4 spent = 4 Clubcard points + 1 bonus credit card point.
    Spend £100 in Tesco, you get 100 clubcard points + 25 bonus points = 125 points.
    125 points (£2.50 in vouchers) = 30 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 30 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £3.33 spent.

At Shell
    Using the Lloyds TSB Airmiles Duo American Express at Shell along with the Shell Drivers Club loyalty card would be worth 1 Airmile for every £10 spent on the AMEX, plus 1 Airmile for every 20 litres of fuel via the Shell Drivers Club.

See what I mean when I said it was complicated...
    Anyway, I hope my maths is right! If not, let me know.
  • digiland_2
    Options
    m00head wrote: »
    I've been doing some number crunching to try and work out which combination of loyalty cards & shops maximise the number of Airmiles you can get in one transaction.

Naturally, the retailers have made it quite complicated to compare the different schemes, but here is my attempt at comparing a couple of high street variants. So, for example:

At Tesco
    The best one to use at Tesco is the Tesco Clubcard Credit Card (the older the better) to get up to
    1 Airmile for every £1.67 spent.

The maths: £4 spent = 4 Clubcard points + 6 bonus credit card points.
    Spend £100 in Tesco, you get 100 clubcard points + 150 bonus points = 250 points.
    250 points (£2.50 in vouchers) = 60 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 60 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £1.67 spent.

At Shell
    Using the Tesco Clubcard Credit Card at Shell along with a Shell Drivers Club loyalty card would be worth 1 mile per £8.34 spent on the credit card (£4 spent = 2 points, so 60 Airmiles per £500 spent outside Tesco), plus 1 mile for every 20 litres of fuel via the Shell Drivers Club (not the default reward BTW).

This increases to 1 Airmile for every 10 litres of fuel if you buy over 200 litres in a single month. However, using this particular combination would remove the option of 3% cashback if you use a Shell Mastercard from Citi at Shell petrol stations.

Other combinations for comparison:

At Tesco
    Using the Lloyds TSB Airmiles Duo American Express at Tesco along with a standard Tesco Clubcard would be worth 1 mile for every £10 spent on the AMEX, plus 1 mile for every £4.17 spent via the Clubcard (60 Airmiles per £250 spend in Tesco).

At Shell
    Using the Lloyds TSB Airmiles Duo American Express at Shell along with the Shell Drivers Club loyalty card would be worth 1 Airmile for every £10 spent on the AMEX, plus 1 Airmile for every 20 litres of fuel via the Shell Drivers Club.

See what I mean when I said it was complicated...
    Anyway, I hope my maths is right! If not, let me know.

Thanks for your post. I think you will find that you get just one pound for every 4 points at Tesco with the Clubcard Credit card in addition to the points you get on your ordinary clubcard.
    The maths: £4 spent = 4 Clubcard points + 1 bonus credit card points.
    Spend £100 in Tesco, you get 100 clubcard points + 25 bonus points = 125 points.
    250 points (£1.25 in vouchers) = 30 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 30 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £3.33 spent.
    You mention the older the better, is the 6 bonus points for £4 a feature of the older cards? Just wanted to make sure people considering this card know the current scheme.

I personally use my Lloyds Amex card to buy everything I can and when Amex is not accepted I use my Tesco Clubcard Credit Card.
  • oilit
    oilit Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options

Confused from Somerset!

airmiles is actually owned by ba, but the air miles scheme and the ba miles are two completely differet things - when ba originally moved from air miles to ba mles you had a one of chance to switch - now you get what you earn.

upgrades are by no means guaranteed with silver. you have the best chance with gold - but ba is one of the tightest airlines for this.

if you sign up for ba amex, you get ba miles, plus a free companion ticket after you have spent a certain amount in a year. so if you then buy one ticket regardless of class, you get another in same class free - and it works if you bought the first ticket with ba miles !

To confuse things further, natwest offer travel miles - which they introduced after loosing the airmiles scheme to lloyds. but the travelmiles can be used with low cost airlines as well - apprently - not used them yet though !

hth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport