Boost Your Airmiles Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just taken advantage of the double miles promo and converted my Tesco points to airmiles. The miles have just been credited to my Airmiles account, but I got a lot more miles than I was expecting! In the description field on my recent transactions it says "52224636 TESCO MILES AWARD AT 80 MILE RATE" and it has indeed converted my points at a rate of 80 miles per £2.50 in points, (£238.50 in points = 7632 miles).
    I'm obviously not complaining about this, but I'm just wondering why, and more importantly whether I will still get my double miles on top of this - any idea anyone?
    Hi, I also get the 80 mile rate - around 5-6 years ago Airmiles did a promotion that allowed first time coverters (from tesco vouchers) to get the 80 mile rate. It seems Airmiles are still honouring this as I recently coverted vouchers and also still get this rate!

I think maybe clarabombshell has answered ernie-money's question :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    I changed £406 in Tesco vouchers a week ago, having never (to my knowledge) converted Tesco vouchers to Airmiles before, and presuming I would get the double miles.

Now I'm panicking that I might have been automatically opted-in to something I wasn't aware of years ago and won't get the double miles! :eek:

I hope that it all works out OK for you as unfortunately Air Miles/The Mileage Company's Chief Executive (Andrew Swaffield) seems to usually be as lacking in the milk of human kindness over unreasonable Terms and Conditions imposed by their scheme as Michael O'Leary is and also normally tends to hide behind terse two paragraphs long correspondence from his legal director, Natalia Sykes.:mad:
  • kavics17
    kavics17 Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    I converted my tesco vouchers exactly 27 days ago into airmiles and have been checking my airmiles account ever since. Just now they credited the double airmiles so tonight I'm booking a flight for my brother's wedding! YEAH!
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    I changed £406 in Tesco vouchers a week ago

Jackie,

Have I missed something but isn't that between £30,000 and £40,000 worth of Tesco shopping at the standard rate and/or with some acrrued at the more recent double rate within a two year period? So that seems to be at least £300 of shopping at Tesco per week.:eek:

Or have you somehow managed to target all these special one off Tesco promotions where a much larger number of Clubcard points per pound spent are issued? Or have you found a reliable way to stop Tesco from wiping out your Clubcard vouchers once they are more than two years old?
  • meinnit
    meinnit Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jackie,

Have I missed something but isn't that between £30,000 and £40,000 worth of Tesco shopping at the standard rate and/or with some acrrued at the more recent double rate within a two year period? So that seems to be at least £300 of shopping at Tesco per week.:eek:

Or have you somehow managed to target all these special one off Tesco promotions where a much larger number of Clubcard points per pound spent are issued? Or have you found a reliable way to stop Tesco from wiping out your Clubcard vouchers once they are more than two years old?

I just exchanged approx £350 the other day. Had about £100 saved up from from previous years but most of it was gained from the promos in the last quarter :)
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    meinnit wrote: »
    I just exchanged approx £350 the other day. Had about £100 saved up from from previous years but most of it was gained from the promos in the last quarter :)

Can you give me some examples of the promotions in question as I seem to be unaware of them?

Also wouldn't it be worth using some of the Air Miles for things like Eurotunnel car crossings of the channel or theme park admissions etc at the four times redemption rate rather than all at the only two times promotional Air Miles conversion rate?
  • meinnit
    Options
    Can you give me some examples of the promotions in question as I seem to be unaware of them?

Also wouldn't it be worth using some of the Air Miles for things like Eurotunnel car crossings of the channel or theme park admissions etc at the four times redemption rate rather than all at the only two times promotional Air Miles conversion rate?
    Bonus points on mobile phones and CDs/DVDs etc.

A lot of my points also come from petrol and food spent on Clubcard Plus
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    meinnit wrote: »
    Bonus points on mobile phones and CDs/DVDs etc.

Wouldn't you have got a better deal earning cashback using https://www.topcashback.co.uk or https://www.quidco.co.uk instead? Usually you can only either get Air Miles or get paid cashback but not both. I have an Egg Money Mastercard that pays 1% cashback so again using my Lloyds Duo Amex card with no cashback represents an additional financial cost in terms of acquiring the miles and giving up the cashback. And the Lloyds Duo Mastercard isn't even really worth considering at only one mile for every £50 with those companies who do not take Amex.
    A lot of my points also come from petrol and food spent on Clubcard Plus

You must drive a very large number of miles per year then?
  • meinnit
    Options
    Wouldn't you have got a better deal earning cashback using www.topcashback.co.uk or www.quidco.co.uk instead? Usually you can only either get Air Miles or get paid cashback but not both. I have an Egg Money Mastercard that pays 1% cashback so again using my Lloyds Duo Amex card with no cashback represents an additional financial cost in terms of acquiring the miles and giving up the cashback. And the Lloyds Duo Mastercard isn't even really worth considering at only one mile for every £50 with those companies who do not take Amex.

You must drive a very large number of miles per year then?

Not sure I understand the link between Quidco/TCB and Airmiles.

I didn't really fancy converting my vouchers into anything else so even if it is a poorer rate of conversion I'm still happy with double miles :) I wouldn't have considered converting at the single mile rate however.

I do have a long commute so do drive a fair bit and do my main shopping at Tesco.

Most of my points were earned through bonus points on phones, DVDs and CDs. All else through usual spend on petrol and shopping.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wouldn't you have got a better deal earning cashback using www.topcashback.co.uk or www.quidco.co.uk instead? Usually you can only either get Air Miles or get paid cashback but not both.

I think he means offers such as "buy Leona CD and get 250 points"

But that would still have to be loads of CDs...

I still cannot see how it is building up unless you buy real load of it and then sell it on Ebay or something. I must be missing something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure