Boost Your Airmiles Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I changed some clubcard vouchers online on Sunday, the Airmiles have shown in my account today "at 60 mile rate".
    Both Airmile and Tesco websites still show the conversion as being 60 miles per £2.50 of vouchers.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beware though that Air Miles no longer lets you do One Way flights from say Vienna to London. You have to book a return flight starting from the UK.

Thanks, I found that out on the same day when I looke whether there even is availability. Well, will have to spend them on myself:D

Someone said somewhere that I have to use up my miles exchanged from Tesco vouchers within 18mths, is this true?

I know I have to keep the account active, but do I have to use any miles by any certain time from gaining them?

Could you please confirm this (you seem very knowledgeable on the subject of Airmiles:D)
  • lullybubs
    lullybubs Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Any,

There is nothing in the T & C's to say that you have to use your miles exchanged from Tesco vouchers within 18 months.

The idea of having an airmiles account is that you add to your airmiles account either via Tesco clubcard vouchers or collect airmiles through another source such as Shell or making purchases via eshop on the airmiles website and using retailers such as John Lewis, Ebay and many more . There is a full list of the retailers included in eshop on the Airmiles website.

I think you may be confusing the 18 months with :
    'Our terms and conditions have changed to say, if you've not had any Airmiles added to your account for 24 consecutive months, all Airmiles you've collected will expire.'

As long as you add airmiles to your account at least every 24 months you will not lose them.
    As I've said before imho Airmiles are a fantastic loyalty reward scheme. Free flights and all taxes paid. You just need to be flexible.
  • NonGeographicalMan
    NonGeographicalMan Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2010 at 11:40AM
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    Thanks, I found that out on the same day when I looke whether there even is availability. Well, will have to spend them on myself:D

Someone said somewhere that I have to use up my miles exchanged from Tesco vouchers within 18mths, is this true?

I don't believe there is any such time limit for using Air Miles converted from Tesco Clubcard vouchers. They are just normal Air Miles on your account once they have been converted across to it.

You may perhaps be confusing things with the requirement to use the 1500 Air Miles vouchers that Lloyds gives new Air Miles credit card customers by a certain fixed deadline (within 9 months or some such thing).

So the only requirement at the moment is to collect at least one new Air Mile every year to stop a fee for redemption of Air Miles being imposed and at least one mile every two years to stop your Air Miles account and the miles collected on it being cancelled.
  • Any
    Options
    Yes Nongeographicalman, I think I it might have been the Lloyds points that I've mistaken it with - I was going to apply for that one as well to ge more points, good job I know about the restriction now!!

Now the Airmiles special offers email - so far everything I've got was flying from London (I am mainly interested in pakcage holidays). As that is the case, I suppose that if I find holiday I am interested in and will want to fly from Manchester, I will have to book the holiday from London (because those are the seats for Airmiles customers) and then separately book flights Manchester-London?

So it will really be extra 1500 miles for 2 people? Or have you ever seen offers for people wanting to fly from Manchester?
  • NonGeographicalMan
    NonGeographicalMan Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2010 at 12:14PM
    Options
    So it will really be extra 1500 miles for 2 people? Or have you ever seen offers for people wanting to fly from Manchester?

I live in the South East so I'm not really best placed to comment on airports in the other regions.

I didn't think they charged any more to fly to say New York or Sydney from Manchester with BA on a direct flight.

Certainly if they don't have a direct flight with BA from your local airport to where you want to go then it will cost you extra miles for a connecting flight on another airline to London or Manchester etc to get the BA flight.
  • Any
    Options
    I live in the South East so I'm not really best placed to comment on airports in the other regions.

Oh I see. I think I will have to always have connecting flight as well then, because they charge you extra 500 miles per person if you fly from other then London airport anywhere
    ie zone 2 - 1500 miles from London, but 2000 miles from Manchester.

Or I will have to wait whether they will ever have special offer for package holiday from Manchester..
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    Oh I see. I think I will have to always have connecting flight as well then, because they charge you extra 500 miles per person if you fly from other then London airport anywhere
    ie zone 2 - 1500 miles from London, but 2000 miles from Manchester.

At www.airmiles.co.uk/spend?whereCanIGoWith=750 they say in the small print at the bottom:-
    Where regional departures are selected the price shown is for direct flights. If direct flights aren’t available we can arrange non-direct flights for an extra 500 miles per internal connecting flight. You can read more or start your flight search.
    But if I do a search from Manchester to Paris in May they only show miles flights with FlyBe and Air France for 1250 miles and not 750 miles. But surely Manchester is a main airport and not a regional airport. And surely BA have flights from Manchester to Paris? And the FlyBe flight is a direct flight and not involving a connecting flight from a Regional airport such as Bristol or Newcastle.

If you take the airports listed at the top out of alphabetical order in their Departing From list in their Flights lookup then you would expect London City, London Heathrow, London Gatwick, London Luton, London Stansted, Belfast Intl, Belfast City, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester to all be main Air Miles airports where you can fly directly to some other airports on a direct flight for the quoted rate to other airports in the same Zone. But their thinking seems confused as clearly BA don't operate out of London Luton and London Stansted. So why are they in the main dropdown list of airports? Is it because Airmiles still has direct flights with partner airlines like FlyBe etc from those airports for the base zone price to a destination from that airport. But then why is a direct flight from Manchester to Paris with FlyBe 1250 miles and not 750 miles as you would expect.

It seems to me that Air Miles has a lot of explaining to do about how many miles are required to travel to places from airports other than London Heathrow and London Gatwick as you definitely can get direct flights to places for the quoted Zonal rate from those two airports but possibly not from any others? I don't see how that can possibly be allowed when BA operate out of Manchester and it is nearly as important an airport as Gatwick.
  • Any
    Options
    I think they definitely add 500 miles to every flight from Manchester, because the flight I was looking at was Manchester-Prague, with Czech Airlines (brilliant airline) which is definitely direct flight and it was coming up at 2000 miles even though it is zone 2 (ie should be 1500 miles).

Yes, I would expect Manchester airport to be one of the main airports too:(
  • Any
    Options
    I would also like to point out that that devalues Tesco - Airmiles conversion quite drasticaly for anyone living outside of London.

Because in that case you need 2000 miles for flight to Zone 2, which makes it £84 worth of Tesco vouchers.

This flight to Prague I was for example looking at comes to about £180 with Czech Airlines, so you are virtualy just doubling your Tesco vouchers.

And I just booked flights with BMI Baby Manchester - Prague for £92, on bank holiday weekend.

(Though Czech Airlines is MUCH superior airline and unlike with BMI you get food, beer and full baggage with the ticket and brilliant service- unless they went down hill since joining with BA).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure