Boost Your Airmiles Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• stuart.pinfold
    Options
    moneyskip wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can use these 1500 Airmiles for experiences, wine etc. as usual or only for 'free flights' offer?
    I imagine only the flights, as you have to book a night's hotel too. No harm in ringing to ask them though - they are very helpful, in my experience, on the phone.

Suspect the answer will be no, though - I enquiried about using them on the Eurostar with a hotel booking and the answer was 'non monsieur'.
  • cundall
    cundall Posts: 859 Forumite
    Options
    I recently received the Lloyds Airmile Duo credit card. I applied for this online, direct with Lloyds as I've banked with them for years. I've never collected airmiles before and thought this would be a good way to start.

It wasn't until I went to set up my account on the Airmiles website (to get my 50 bonus points) that I saw if I'd applied for the card via Airmiles I would've received a voucher for 1500 miles! I'm really disappointed at not knowing this in advance, and of course there was no mention of it on the bank's website. Do I just accept I've lost out or do you think there's anything to be gained by contacting Lloyds?

I have already made a complaint about this and i am waiting for a reply back... but i was told in store i would get my 1500 airmiles...
  • rogertb
    rogertb Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi chaps, possibly a dumb question but there seems to be a lot of knowledge here, my wife and I have 3,000 airmiles and 2 lloyds vouchers (1,500 each) ie 6,000 miles. I want to make this as painless as psiible, can I just phone airmiles and talk to them like any other travel agent and buy a trip away with hotels ie will they discuss my options and help me get the best deal or do the airmiles sale people have an hidden agenda (cynic that I am) - also is this the best way of getting rid of them ? Many thanks for your time Roger
  • stuart.pinfold
    Options
    rogertb wrote: »
    ...my wife and I have 3,000 airmiles and 2 lloyds vouchers (1,500 each) ie 6,000 miles. I want to make this as painless as psiible, can I just phone airmiles and talk to them like any other travel agent and buy a trip away with hotels ie will they discuss my options and help me get the best deal or do the airmiles sale people have an hidden agenda (cynic that I am) - also is this the best way of getting rid of them?
    Hi Roger,

As I said in a post 2 above, Airmiles were very helpful on the three occasions (with three different agents) I have rang them. In fact I have never booked anything online - always over the phone, even though I've always known what I wanted before I call.

Bear in mind that as you have two of the 1,500 vouchers, you will have to book two nights in a hotel. When my partner and I did this, we booked two London hotels, one the night before and one the night after our flights. This was partly because we don't live in London and didn't want to be getting to Heathrow early/getting back home late, but mainly because the Airmiles hotels in our destination (Stockholm) were very expensive when compared to the London ones, particularly in the Paddington area (handy for the Heathrow Express).

There is no real 'best deal' to be had out of Airmiles - if you know where you want to fly to, and assuming you're buying your flights completely with Airmiles, then what else can be saved? The only extra money you'll have to pay is for the hotels that must be booked when redeeming the voucher. Have a look at airmiles.co.uk and go through as though you're making a mock booking, and look at the hotels. Choose the one you want to stay at (noting its 'cash price', that's how much Airmiles will charge you) and quote the name over the telephone when you call.

If you're not completely paying for your flights in Airmiles (i.e. the flights to your destination cost more than 6,000 Airmiles, then you will, obviously, be charged the extra. Again, this amount can be checked on airmiles.co.uk by making a mock booking. The website, and presumably the call centre's screens, offer four prices: Complete Airmiles, Complete cash, or two 'mixed' amounts in between (i.e. 5,000 Airmiles + £100). I guess this isn't negotiable, although the call centre's system might be flexible enough to allow you to use every single Airmile to bring the price down (i.e., following on from my previous example, 5,075 Airmiles + £95).

The best way to get rid of them? Well, except flights you can only spend them on Days Out (i.e. a trip on the London Eye) or things like Theatre Breaks - check the 'Spend Miles' section on airmiles.co.uk for the full list. I suspect, though, that the best way - and, indeed, the reason for you starting to collect them in the first place - is to spend them on flights and/or hotels.
  • rogertb
    rogertb Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jeez Stuart what an excellent response, thank you, it's really helped me get my head around it, we are far from well off but things like airmiles (and, indeed, tescos 'points') are a kind of excuse to be a little extravagant ie " ... just lets blow it on something frivolous ... I'll get stuck in. Regards Roger
  • Nickij
    Nickij Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I have just signed up for the shell drivers card? But they didn;t ask for my airmiles account? so how do the points get transfer to my airmiles account?

Also if my husband gets a shell card can we add the points from his card to my airmiles account.

Also Where is a better to collect miles for petrol? through shell or through tesco using clubcard?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nickij wrote: »
    I have just signed up for the shell drivers card? But they didn;t ask for my airmiles account? so how do the points get transfer to my airmiles account?

Also if my husband gets a shell card can we add the points from his card to my airmiles account.

Also Where is a better to collect miles for petrol? through shell or through tesco using clubcard?

I am not 100% but maybe through your name and address? When I logged onto Tesco Clubcard and changed those to airmiles, it also just asked me to confirm my correct address, it did not ask for a airmiles account number or any further details - hope this helps but maybe others on this forum know for sure
  • blackmidnight
    Options
    Nickij wrote: »

When I signed up they registered a completely new airmiles account for me! Obviously not what I wanted so I emailed them. They said they'd merged the accounts but I haven't had any points added from the shell drivers card yet so I'm not sure whether or not they ever did it. Stupidly when I assumed they'd done it I deleted the email with the 'new' airmiles account number in so I don't know what I could do about tit now!
    2008: £783.12 - 2009: £6,401.15 - 2010: £4,230.61 - 2011: £8720 - 2012: £2,041.89
    2013: £134.96
  • cundall
    cundall Posts: 859 Forumite
    Options
    When I signed up they registered a completely new airmiles account for me! Obviously not what I wanted so I emailed them. They said they'd merged the accounts but I haven't had any points added from the shell drivers card yet so I'm not sure whether or not they ever did it. Stupidly when I assumed they'd done it I deleted the email with the 'new' airmiles account number in so I don't know what I could do about tit now!

It should be ok... I have sent them a quick just on this very topic.
  • buzz101
    buzz101 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have a 1500 voucher on my account that runs out at the end of the month i dont think i am going to be able to use it due to work commitments can i transfer this to someone else if so is there any one out there that needs it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure