🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

mybuilder.com - any good?

Options

Comments

• noodle_doodle
    Options
    I didn't know mybuilder had changed the charging system so tradespeople get billed for even showing interest in a job. Probably explains why my recent posted small jobs have had very poor responses, whereas years ago (pre-2012) I'd get a fair few responses for them (stuff like replace dimmer switch etc)

I've also had the problem of shortlisting people, telling them they've got the job, and then them not turning up at agreed times. If they've had to pay mybuilder 'cos I've shortlisted them you'd think at least they'd turn up for the job to make the money back?
  • Landor22
    Options
    I found a builder on the my builder website. He dissappeared mid job while having most of the money (foolish of me I know but that's not the point).

He had very good feedback on the website but also quite a few jobs awaiting feedback. Since he walked off our job, Ive been contacted by another 6 people who have all paid substantial money before never hearing from him again. Some from as long ago and 18 months ag, sone as recently as a few weeks ago. They all found him via the my builder.com website.

When I asked, the people who lost money last year said they didn't put negative feedback on the website because they didn't want to jeopodise any potential legal action in the future by doing so.

An obvious flaw to the recommendation based website. If people don't feel they can't freely provide negative feedback. Only one relivant negative feedback and I would have moved on to the next tradesman.

Ive contacted mybuider.com with my concerns. At this point Im still awaiting a reply.

YOUVE BEEN WARNED.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 December 2018 at 7:33PM
    Options
    I'm using mybuilder sourced workers at the moment and have used it in the past. Nothing as bad as fraud but both current jobs from two different members are beset with unnecessary delays - I won't go into details (all nothing to do with me and down to them) - though I expect them to complete by next week (finally!) .
    I would also be wary of members who have quite a few old jobs where feedback has not been added. Even if there is no legal threat, after a bad or disappointing experience , I think a lot of people hesitate to post negative feedback publicly (the member has a final public reply/last word on the site it seems)and they just want to move on.

But in 25 years, I have rarely had work done on my house without some reservations about the people doing it. Even with "word of mouth" recommendations. One, having completed the first job without incident, turned quite nasty, mid job , for no reason on the second job.
    Years ago I commissioned builders on the "Fair Trades" vetting and registration scheme. A google tells me it still exists. They stole my expensive camcorder while working on the house. The police were informed. They denied it and I never got it back!
  • Oliver71
    Options
    Like in everything there's pros and cons...I've personally build a returning client database almost entirely from this site + word by mouth. It is not only fair and honest for the client but also and at the contrary of many other websites fair for the traders. That's true it is not easy for traders to be selected among unfair competitors, or having to deal with dreamers clients expecting few quotes for free and then falling off their chair once they got the figures...Any renovation or building projects are a service and not a manufactured product, that's not easy to understand to everybody nowadays if you can buy anything from a click on your mobile. I am also perfectly aware that those sites are an open door to easterners, but in every trades they are the good the bad and the ugly, and when it's mater to compete with British standards...no worries unless you're unlucky. I have worked with Brits, employed few, and also recovered jobs after them, and I can certify that "Cowboy" is english ! and they moan so much ! the good have no fear...(James O'brien show on LBC 22 January 2019)
    Just check the feedbacks and reviews left by previous clients. Depending on your project take time to compare with the one who have the most...
  • Phil7420
    Options
    My experience has been horrific and I’ve literally been defrauded out of over £9k.DO NOT USE. THEY DO NOT SCREEN TRADESMAN IN ANY PROFFESIONAL WAY. Please see the response from Peter Wellock the Customer Service Manager on what they do and do not check. It’s a national disgrace.

1. Tradespeople are required to verify their ID in order to use MyBuilder. We accept a passport or UK photocard driving license as forms of valid photo ID.
    2. We do not carry out to work checks on registered tradespeople
    3. We evaluate a tradesperson’s skills and experience.
    4. We do not verify the text-based content on a tradesperson’s public profile (they can say anything with no recourse. In what other type of employment allows this?. The chap I used stated had a CRB along with other qualifications which they don’t even check)

These below points are directly asking about employment status on another email asking to confirm overseas workers.

1. For the purpose of verifying ID, MyBuilder accepts valid passports issued by member states of the European Union and of the other countries participating in PRADO
    2. MyBuilder does not carry out visa or right to work checks
    3. MyBuilder examines ID documents for signs of fraud by examining the photo only this was confirmed by another member of staff.

So basically you do not know who is entering your home.I have got the CCJ but because of all the false information held this man has just just disappearedI now have to take legal action against MyBuilder directly as also confirmed by P Wellock.

The ASA are involved and my local MP with the prospect on raising these concerns at a national level to protect consumers. Marcos Ezzo, Mussana Izo or Murthana Izo would never been allowed in to my home had it not been for MyBuilder, even contacting the CEO directly via LinkedIn didn’t even warrant a response. Luckily he was asked to leave to before the damage became irreparable and I sought a reputable biulder by the good old trusted method of word of mouth. There is no need for this type of business whatsoever. Hopefully after a good old fight I will get some from of justice eventually?
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2019 at 11:29PM
    Options
    I don't see your point to be honest, as far as i'm aware MyBuilder have never claimed to be anything other than a platform that facilitates tradespeople finding customers & vice versa. It's still up to you as a customer to do your own research, ask for references etc. and make a judgement on who you want to carry out work in your house, just like if you found someone in the Yellow Pages or anywhere else.

You failed to vet the person you hired properly for the quality of their work, so are now seeking to blame MyBuilder who did nothing other than facilitate the exchange between yourself and the tradesperson. I would say you have no case whatsoever. Would you be worrying about CRB checks and legal status if they had done a good job? Your clutching at straws.

I have used MyBuilder on occasions and have found a few good local tradesmen I would not otherwise have found. Plenty of good honest tradespeople on there who don't deserve to be tarred with the same brush as the bad ones. I think it's a useful platform.
  • Phil7420
    Phil7420 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 2 March 2019 at 4:02AM
    Options
    I think I’ve made my point perfectly clear. I expect If someone claims to be something and the provider clearly states a rigours screening process, which is not the case at all they have failed.

How do you know I never completed my due dillegence on the builder in question? How can recourse be made when the information screened is fictitious?

You sir have been lucky enough to have a reasonable experience and I have not. There is no justification for service I’ve recieved on all levels and when you follow the law still nothing. Those straws you claim I’m grasping I am clinging too and are not related to the CRB exactly it’s an example of their lack of process to vet what people claim. MyBuilder are clearly a back door for all sorts of dubious characters and they are the ones tarring reputable tradesman and have a obligation to ensure that their recommended tradesman are at least legitimate . It was at this point they asked to leave my home once this was discovered. This would be the case regardless of the standard of work.

There advertising strategy in no way represents the reality and I’m sure if they advertised the lack of checks in place no one would touch them with a barge pole. When the case has reached it conclusion I’ll post an up date.
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2019 at 11:48PM
    Options
    I must admit the "Carefully selected tradesmen" section on this page (https://www.mybuilder.com/how-it-works) is somewhat misleading & their mystery "high standards" may lead people into a false sense of security. They are on rocky ground here and should really state what their criteria is, which seems to be just ID verification and a certain level of past experience.

That said, tradespeople on the website are hardly reliant on peoples blind faith in MyBuilder to win jobs & there are very extensive guides on the site with advice as to how to pick your tradesperson. People ultimately choose who to invite to quote based on their positive feedback left from past customers, which in many ways is the same as being recommended someone through word of mouth.

It's unfortunate you have had a bad experience, however if I was in your shoes I certainly wouldn't be taking it out on MyBuilder. Hiring tradesmen is a bit of a gamble any way you do it. From what I can gather based on what you have said, you have done everything you could to avoid a bad experience; I assume these people had positive feedback to their name on MyBuilder, you then had them round at your house for a quote and were impressed, asked for and checked out references, then they made a meal of your particular job. It's bad luck & could have happened by any other means of finding a tradesmen. Mark it down as a bad experience and move on.
  • davelees215
    davelees215 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Used it to get a builder for my extension after getting fed up of everyone recommended to me not turning up. They were absolutely brilliant but then I used it again to get someone to replace a door frame and he was a total cowboy who left a mess, said he'd come back but ignored my calls for 3 weeks. He then sent me threatening messages after I gave him a negative review.
    I'm just glad it was a good builder for the 15k job and a bad one for the £100 job and not the other way round.
  • Sanne
    Sanne Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve used three tradesmen from my builder - a handyman (who was ok for most things but screwed up one a bit, guess that can always happen - nothing dramatic though and he came back for free to sort it), a roofer (he did a good job) and a guy putting down laminate flooring for me as had to be done on a particular day (he was very good).

Of the three roofers we contacted through the site one was a no-no, one didn’t bother to quote and the third was a fair price (I’d like to add not dirt cheap, going market rate) and seemed honest about options and what needs doing.

One laminate guy was horrendously expensive (I had quotes from others who couldn’t do it on the particular day so knew the going market rate), one had awful reviews and the third is the guy we went for, he seemed to come from too far away but has family here so fair enough...

I can’t complain, at least most bother to send quotes and turn up, more than a lot of the (particularly) roofers I have contacted before using the site, however, I must admit I always use it as second choice if all else fails.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport