mybuilder.com - any good?

Options

Comments

• M_Browm
    M_Browm Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Although I am sure there are many good trades people on mybuilder.com.. I have had a lousy experience! I had previously been ripped off by a gardener, so thought I would use the site so as to get a good and ethical tradesman. Ha! I hired a guy called Joseph, of JG Maintenance, to do some gardening for me. I asked him to come last friday after 10am. I waited all day and he never arrived. I called him several times, he never answered. I contacted the site and spoke to a guy called Mark. He called me and said he would try and get hold of Joseph, and he would email me back because he had a meeting to go to. I waited for his email, in which he told me that he could not get hold of Joseph either, but that he would try again on monday and he would call me back. Well, it is wednesday evening and I have heard nothing back from Mark, but the following is my feedback to them and Joseph's 'reply'.

I am utterly shocked and disappointed with the service I have received from this member, and from site management. I arranged with Joseph to come on last friday to cut my grass. I asked him to be at my house after 10am, which he agreed to. At 11am, when he had still not arrived, I thought he would still be here by around 11.30. I ended up waiting all day and he never arrived. I tried calling him several times, and he did not answer his phone. He did not call me at all. When I emailed my complaint to the site, Mark called me back, but said he was going into a meeting, so he would try calling Joseph, and then email me. Mark emailed me back telling me he had not managed to contact Joseph, but that he would try again on monday. This was all very inconvenient for me, and I was surprised that Mark was not going to call me back on saturday! Anyway.. it is tuesday night and I have not heard ANYTHING, by email or call, from either Joseph or Mark. Disgusting and totally unprofessional. Will never use the site again.

JG MAINTENANCE's reply:

i do apologize for any inconvenience caused my clutch packed in on the van and i never got any phone call or i would of answered it , like i said sorry if any inconvenience has been caused
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mmm. Spam reported.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mrben wrote: »
    as a tradesmen there is only one site I would reccomend and that is "buy with confidence" (can't post the link as i'm a new user sorry)
    this is a site that is run by trading standards and all tradesmen are thoroughly checked.
    My company had the last 7 clients details taken as references. 3 of which were followed up to check how happy the clients were with the work carried out and the quality of the work.
    The company accounts were also checked over to make sure everything was legitimate, and every employee had to be crb checked
    Spam message.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • I just read the very same comment of this person " buy with confidence".....wow that is spam. You don't need any website to make it safe. If the company provides the VAT number and or you can check on the company house website. Trading standards is not responsible for self employed people right? CRB does not make a builder a better one or does it? Membership to websites means nothing and what matters is workmanship, customer reviews, VAT number, Company house, CIS number etc. If the company operates 100% on bank transfer payments like ours does then all is checked by accountants as a payment therefore VAT due. Also, sign a contract binding both client and contractor. We only do business with a signed contract and Quotes are signed too. This protects both parties and there is no arguments at all. In fact if you are a customer, pay in stages and NO deposit. We only invoice once stages are complete: usually in 3 to 5 stages and customers are very happy indeed.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    @Greenlife. There are plenty of professionals on here but they do not have their business name as their user name. If you want to contribute, and I am sure your knowledge and experience will be valued, you need to lose the free advert every time you post.
  • aylesby
    aylesby Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Found a joiner through them who has done well with three jobs. Their selection process is good. I found few local tradesmen were interested in my jobs. If you can upload a picture it will help.
  • @teneighty, you have wasted a message here. Rather why don't you concentrate on the substance of my message. Perhaps you can share how your company deals with their clients and how can clients feel safe, i.e. the company is registered for Tax an VAT purposes and adhere to Rules and Regulations .
    Enlightened us please and stop making personal attacks on members(please refrain from replying without any substance on your message). Have a great day. Ed
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    spam reported, its tiresome
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • saveallmymoney
    Options
    I commented earlier on this thread that i didn't have a great record with tradesman regardless of where i found them, a quick update that I just used mybuilder last week to find someone to build a concrete shed base in my garden.

The guy was excellent, turned up when he said and did a great job - so much easier than ringing round.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2016 at 6:21PM
    Options
    @teneighty, you have wasted a message here. Rather why don't you concentrate on the substance of my message. Perhaps you can share how your company deals with their clients and how can clients feel safe, i.e. the company is registered for Tax an VAT purposes and adhere to Rules and Regulations .
    Enlightened us please and stop making personal attacks on members(please refrain from replying without any substance on your message). Have a great day. Ed

That was not a personal attack. The poster had a valid point. Posting as a Company without permission from MSE is against forum rules. And you are all for "adhering to the "rules and regulations", arent you?
    Read the section on verified companies in the forum rules:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs?_ga=1.263971468.1487081225.1434838937

short answer, as already politely indicated by teneighty, do not use posts and company username in this forum as a proxy form of advertising for your business, however wonderful it may be.

Oh and by the way, don't reply to me unless you have any substance to your message......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure