PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

Options

Comments

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am going to give cleaning my hall carpet a go with the legendary star drops.

Any toptips? Brush, sponge, machine?
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Newtonlot
    Newtonlot Posts: 191 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oooh. I'll be watching this thread with interest.
    I just logged on to see if I could find any old posts on how to clean my carpet.

We have got a few tea stains, coke spills and I think a curry mark. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact we don't drink tea. All our guests must have holes in their lips.
    Our carpet is a stupid pale cream colour. Anyone any idea how I go about getting rid of these marks or making them less noticable.

Have tried to talk DH into getting a new carpet but was told I could if I cancelled the family holiday and I don't want to do that.

Cheers
    Newtonlot on an MSE mission
  • Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I use a sponge and the foam in the bucket rather than the water (IYKWIM) This stops the carpet from getting saturated in water and drys much quicker. On the really mucky bits I scrub it with a small brush, I then rub it with an old towel which brings the pile back up and gets rid of any residue foam. My front room carpet is beige and comes up a treat. Beware though, its very hard work, took me over an hour to do mine over the weekend. Allow yourself plenty of time and don't let anyone walk on it till its dry.
    Rebel No 22
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I cleaned all mine last weekend using my Vax machine with warm water and a generous squirt of Stardrops and they came up really well. For extra stubborn stains, I squirted them with a mix of stardrops and water using a squeezy bottle, then rubbed with a microfibre cloth. I have a cat, who likes to walk across the roof, which has anti-climb paint on it, before she comes indoors, and a disabled child who is doubly incontinent, plus another messy child and husband, so my carpets get done a lot, and are always a challenge, but the Stardrops did work a treat. If you have a vax machine, its worth running it over the sofa and chairs too with the stardrops mixture while you have it out, as its amazing what a new lease of life it can give them for almost no effort.
  • code-a-holic
    code-a-holic Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a few rooms to do then hiring a rug doctor is worthwhile. I did so recently from morrisons for £25. We were considering getting new carpets but tried this first. They came up like new and made the sofa look grubby so we have bought a new sofa instead!
  • garret1
    garret1 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    I used rug doctor too and it worked a treat. Very heavy and hard on the back though.
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    hi all :wave:

hoping you OS guys can help me out :)

i have a cream carpet which inevitably gets grubby. ive heard you can clean them with bicarb, but cant find anything about it on the 'mega-indexed thread'

can anyone help?

many thanks
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    I have a very light cream carpet :eek: (stupid really with 2 doggies), however I use a weak solution of hot water and colour care persil gets the stains out no problem. I got this tip from a carpet cleaner. My carpet has now been down over a year and he looks as good as new. I have a VAX carpet washer too which I use once/twice a year - you'd be amazed how much unseen dirt comes out.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never heard of using bicarb but I can vouch for Stardrops working wonders on my cream carpets.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • floridadreamin
    Options
    Thanks moggins. I too have a cream carpet and my DS walked in with his freshly polished black school shoes and I can't get the stain out of the carpet. Stardrops on my shopping list for Friday!!!
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport