PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

Options

Comments

• Iriahm
    Iriahm Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I'm currently getting flat ready to sell and don't have the cash to replace the carpets. Really need some tips on how to spruce up livingroom carpet that has some stains on it and seems to attract dirt like a magnet! Stains can't be hidden as they are in doorway and infront of tv!

i'd heard that chemdry have a product you can buy yourself but can't find it. I do have access to a steam cleaner that a friend is going to lend me if that helps.

grateful for any help as i'm getting desperate!

many thanks Ixxx
    Lightbulb moment: July 2006

Total debt: £39,678.01 July 2006 :eek: Total Debt: £19k March 2007

Proud to be DFW Nerd 123 :cool:
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a look at the cleaning threads in the mega index. There are a few which might be helpful on post 3.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A similar product to Chemdry (but vastly superior IMO) is Host cleaning sponges. You shake these out of the bag over the carpet, brush in with a stiff brush to break up the sponges and release the cleaning product, leave (with your carpet I'd suggest overnight), and vacuum up. These guys sell the complete kit if you can get into their shop: http://www.machinesthatclean.com/stain_removal_guide.htm; otherwise, these sell the smaller size (use the drop-down menu) for 22 quid online: http://www.cleansmartsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Dry_carpet_cleaning_sponges.html
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    AARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!

I decided to have kim and aggie moment yesterday after watching them on wednesday night.

They did a mix of salt and bicarb of soda, sprinkled on the carpet, left for 10 minutes and then hoovered off.
    The salt helps shift some stains and the bicarb is supposed to remove the odours.

Well lets just say i have a light coloureed carpet in my living room, a potty triaing 2 year odl adn a small jack russell (btw i live in a flat) so needless to say after i did this the smell wasnt to great adn MY GOD it stank.

just wondering if anyone can help or suggest a good stain remover preferably non chemical but if so be it, (my mother in law is going to come and shampoo it soon for me but some of the stains i dont think will shift - bf is a car/bike freak so oil etc), a decent air freshener that will work well and does anyone know if i do this again with the salt and soda if it will actualyl get rid of the odour becasue it smells of like ammonia and i need rid of it - not sure i can take it much more??

:confused:
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Try opening the windows for a while until someone posts an answer for you...good luck :)
    :)
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi sammy kaye
    A solution of Stardrops will get most stuff off of carpets. If not the other alternative is some white spirit. Use that neat & it is brilliant. The smell disappears quite quickly, although probably a good idea to have the little one inspecting while you're actually using it!
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I have similar problems with my carpets. I haven't completely cracked it, but as far as stain removal goes stardrops or biological washing powder does the job. For big jobs I put them in carpet shampooer, and stubborn stains get rubbed with the same solution on a microfibre cloth while the carpet is still damp from the shampooing. That has always removd everything. The smells are trickier, although using the Anthea tip of putting a cotton wool ball with a few drops of essential oil in the hoover bag (or in my case cylinder of bagless vaccuum) works for about 24 hours or so. The smell will get much better after you shampoo, provided you make sure you get the carpets dry as quickly as you can. HTH.
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :wave:

I have a rather thick pile carpet rug, which DS decorated last week with poo! :rolleyes:

In my haste to clean it up, (Warm water, Stardrops, tiny bit of Zoflora), I think I overwet the carpet, and it now STINKS!!!

I have borrowed a Vax, and used it with a stardrops/fabric softener solution, but it hasnt made a jot of difference. Today I took the rug and hung it over the line, but it still smells just as bad as ever :(

Can anyone help!!

TIA

tg x
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I personally wouldn`t have used the Stardrops in the Vax machine but would use a carpet cleaner and the special solution(forgotten name) to stop it causing suds......? defoamer.

My guess would either to redo it and then hang over airer to dry it out completely unless we get some dry weather over the w/e or to have it done professionally to restore it to its former glory. i wonder whether you `think` you still smell the original smell or whether it is just wet carpet? HTH
  • iwanttosave_2
    Options
    Sprinkle down some biological washing power, get a damp rag and rub it all in, then hoover when it is dry, it should shift the smell :)
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business