PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

Options

Comments

• sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't know if the stain is too bad, but have you tried bicarbonate of soda? This will be a much gentler way of removing the stain, and shouldn't do any damage to the wool. Remember not to use hot water when cleaning it though, as this will set the stain!
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,586 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used stardrops on a very stubborn stain on my wool carpet, didn't dilute it just put some neat on a damp cloth and scrubbed it in. The stain came out and no damage at all to the carpet (beige coloured).
  • tigs78
    tigs78 Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    If the worst comes to the worst and stardrops can't shift it - hire a Rug Doctor. I think Morrisons rent them out for £25 including all the detergents. If you havn't got a Morrisons near you then Homebase also rent them but they are slighty more expensive at around £30 including detergent.

We recently moved out of a rented house with cream carpets throughout. The Rug Doctor got rid of inground rust stain (had to go over that one a few times), cat poo and wee stains (she went through a bout of diaorrhea and never managed to get the stains completely out before the Rug Doctor).

I think you'll be surprised that when you move all your furniture at how dirty the rest of the carpets will look so you will probably need to clean the whole lot anyway, so £25 to do the whole house is not bad. We always took our shoes off when in the house but were still horrified at the colour of the water that came out of the Rug Doctor.
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_n, that's what the landlord's planning to do and prob use our rental deposit to pay for some of it! wishful thinking, the whole flat's beige'd.

Stardrops diluted hasn't worked. Nor has Vanish. I will try SDs undiluted when this round dries. And I will try Bicarb. The stain has just got a little bit fainter so I'll keep at it. (then again, could just be a gloomy day)
    Tigs, don't dare say what it will look like when we move our meagre possessions. You'll have me at the ginger nuts again (somerfield 25p a packet and very nice too and horrendously bad for the middle aged spread)
    If all else fails will try to find Rug Doctor as servicemaster want to do the whole thing professionally. Rug Doctor sounds like a toupee firm doesn't it?
    LL wears one already so he'd probably notice that :)
  • yummynanny
    yummynanny Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Fairy Household soap may the laundry soap you're thinking of. Fabulous on stains on clothes and lasts forever. For those of you who can't find it, Sainsburys stock it but you may have to ask. Won't be much help with your carpet though.

OH and I run a cleaning company and swear by Vanish Powershot. It's not too expensive and definitely worth a go. Use a brush if you can and rinse off with a cloth. Failing that, we use a Rug Doctor which is very effective. If you are looking to rent one, make sure you choose the one with the least hours' use on it. Just use their shampoo and don't waste money on their branded stain removers. Keep going over the carpet, not just once. Good luck and if no joy at all make sure you tell the letting agents/landlord all you have done so they don't waste your money on a cleaning company (much as we love the work) before resorting to replacing the carpet anyway.
  • yummynanny
    yummynanny Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry

Just read again your previous post and note you have tried Vanish. Powershot is better than the standard Vanish so if you haven't tried that, it's worth a go.

Good luck
  • pinkpauline34
    Options
    My beige carpet has only been down for a year and it could really do with a clean. I already have stardrops but haven't used it yet - can I use it to clean my carpet? If so, what quantity should I use (hot or cold water) and should I use a scrubbing brush?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Stardrops can be used neat but most of the time you dilute it. I have mine in an old spray container and dilute it. 1" and top up with cold water.
    Always test on an area that doesn't show first to check its colourfast. Never scrub or use hot water.
    If you are looking to do the whole carpet would you not be better off borrowing a steam cleaner or vax?
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would hire a carpet cleaner,if you use a product like 1001 they actually make your carpet dirty quicker,they leave a sticky residue in the carpet that attracts dirt,when you come to use a carpet machine the waste tank fills with foam and you will need a defoamer to cut through the foam.You might find the same thing happens with stardrops which i think is soap based.Our local dry cleaners hire a carpet machine for £10.00 for half a day,we usually manage to clean all our carpets in that time.
  • tigertiger_3
    Options
    Why not try the Rug Doctor....available at DIY stores to hire ( about £15 per day), Ive used this in the past and recommend it.
    £900 towards next holiday...ta very much Mr T x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport