For the love of God - DO NOT BUY ASDA SMART PRICE FROZEN MINCE

Options
12346»

Comments

• mandragora_2
    Options
    ses6jwg wrote: »
    When cooked it smells like you are burning human flesh - I am not squeamish in the slightest I have eaten chicken hearts whilst in France, But the smell of this mince cooking actually made me gag.

Apparently human flesh smells like pork roasting (don't ask!) and the tatsiest bit is the upper arm - so rather nicer than your cheapo mince - though presumably even less ethical.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    its not ridiculous at all

There is always someone who has a mate who knows someone who works in a factory that makes branded and unbranded goods to the same recipe:rolleyes:

In the USA so much branded and own-brand stuff is made in the same factory that some own-brand products even have to print a disclaimer on them - "This product was not manufactured in the same factory that produces xxxxxxx" (sorry can't remember the exact wording).

When I go shopping in the States I generally know that if this statement is not printed on the packaging it will be exactly the same stuff as the branded product. Wish they did that here :rolleyes:
  • kitschkitty
    kitschkitty Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I once picked up that value mince (can't remember why) and I agree it stinks like dog food - I gave it to my mum for her dog. I noticed many of the supermarkets cheapest value mince is a beef & pork mix - I can't stand pork and beef mixed in mince or meatballs.

I had gone off minced beef over the last few months as I'd been finding the stuff from Asda, didn't have much flavour or a great texture, but I recently picked up some Tesco's value (chilled) minced beef (had a cc points voucher so thought I'd try it), and it is full of fat, and needs a lot of draining off, but the mice has an excellent flavour and texture - hardly any gristle, just like more expensive mince. Indeed I find it tastes better than a lot of more expensive mince I've tried.

Though you chuck out a lot of fat, the price still works out very well compared to more expensive mince too.

:)
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • sheep-ali
    Options
    My local butcher told me that some scotch pies are made with minced beef heart.:eek:
    So glad I am veggie:D
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So this thread is about buying the cheapest nastiest food from the cheapest nastiest supermarket and then complaining when it tastes cheap and nasty, some people have no common sense and way too much spare time
  • fishingcinema
    Options
    I am right there with you op.

I quite often buy smart price products, and thought i would give this a try it was foul to cook and even worse to eat.

If i had a dog i would not even feed it with this mince.

As another poster mentioned some stuff is made in the same factory then re-packaged. I found out the other day that hula hoops also make/package tesco's salted hoops. I brought a multi pask of hula hoops got them home, opened them up and there was a large pack of tesco's hoops inside lol.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kaya wrote: »
    So this thread is about buying the cheapest nastiest food from the cheapest nastiest supermarket and then complaining when it tastes cheap and nasty, some people have no common sense and way too much spare time

Oh I apologise whole heartedly your Lordship.

For we are not worthy of thine presence and from now on shall all endeavour to shop for the finest cutlets at Waitrose.
  • cjb02
    cjb02 Posts: 608 Forumite
    Options
    kaya wrote: »

What utter non sense. I dont think Asda would be happy at being called the cheapest nastiest supermarket and could even amount to libel. I cannot understand why you think so either based on one product, may be you should try shopping there and broadening your experiences.

Never forget it is good to talk or even type and share experiences, the good and the bad and definitely not a waste of spare time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure