King size mattress, questions again, please help!

Options

Comments

• stingwray73
    Options
    Hi,

I realise this thread hasn't has a post since Feb 2011, but I am rather hoping that you still watch it Tim as I am looking for some of your valuable advise.

I am looking to buy a King size matress, and like some other people who's post I have read, love doing research before buying but get extremely frustrated when I cann't seem to find an answer.

So hopefully from all your posts that i have read, you may be the man !!

I have seen a Somnus Majestic mattress in Barker and Stonehouse. I cannot find it listed on the somnus website, but it appears to closely match the spec of their viceroy, so I am assuming rebranding, woudl I be correct do you know?

Following on from that, I am also struggling to find any sites on the web with which to compare prices on Somnus mattresses.

So I gues what I am hoping you can help with is ... Are Somnus any good? (from what I have ready, you appear to rate them) ....Does Somnus Majestic = Somnus Viceroy? Sre Somnus Majestic/Viceroy a good mattress? And Is £400 a good price for Somnus Majestic/Viceroy.

Really appreciate your help if you can.

Thanks
  • stingwray73
    Options
    Hi Tim,

I just posted to an old post you had been involved in, hopingto get some advice from you, I then realised I could post you a quick message, so thought I would. If you wouldn't mind taking a look, it's in the thread King size mattress, questions again, please help!

Thanks

• Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 May 2011 at 11:37AM
    Options
    Hello,

Tim is no longer a member of MSE forum, but I know a thing or two about mattresses.

Firstly I think Somnus mattress are NOT allowed to be sold on the internet, bricks and mortar stores only. Which is why you can't find a price comparison or many reviews.

I actual don't know of the brand first hand, but all that I have read in trade magazines and other people in the trade is that they are a half decent brand.

Maybe the model that you are looking at is an older model that Barker and Stonehouse still have.

I would say that £400 for a king size mattress from Somnus is a fair price considering they are a more top end product.

Hope that helps a little.
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • stingwray73
    Options
    Hi Pinky,

Thank you very much for your advice and help and sorry for the delay in replying (and the spelling mistakes!).

Unfortunately the Somnus we were being offered, which was ex-display had been sold by the time we went back to the salesman :-(... So unfortunately we are back to square one.

This means that my original question becomes much broader. So I am unsure if you are allowed to help too much?

The mattress we are looking to purchase is for our bed (i.e. not guest), so we obviously want to make a decent purchase. Having read lots of the messages on this site, I was surprised that the price of a decent mattress may be less than I was expecting. We really would like to know what budget we should be looking at, and what brands are the best. Can you help please ??

Thanks
  • Pinkypants
    Options
    There are so many differant makes out there it really is a mine field, but from my experience I'lll give a list of good un's and ones to avoid!

Avoid if possible.

Any thing with less then 1000 pocket springs.

Sleepeezee, Silentnight group including Rest Assured, Airsprung, Ikea!

The more top end companies are Relyon, Vi Sprung, Harrison, Hypos etc... think £1000 plus for 5ft mattress.

Good brands are Healthbeds, Kaymed, King Coil, Restus, and a company called Dreamworks.

When you try out the mattresses in store also lift them up and test the weight, generally the heavier the mattress the better quality it will be.

Go for a pocket sprung mattress with 1000 springs or more, just bear in mind that a 2000 spring count mattress will not be twice as good as a 1000 spring count. The spring count is always done on a 5ft mattress, you can only fit about 1600 springs in that space. So they put springs on top of each other or a spring inside a spring.

Good luck in your search.

Either that or just buy a waterbed! :)
  • creamcravat
    creamcravat Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 September 2011 at 8:22PM
    Options
    Hi
    anyone had problems with somnus mattress and in particular Dorton therma care. Had mine 3 months before cover developed holes along edge and inner pulled away. Has been a problem apparently and Somnus have now put a new cover on this particular mattress. They have offered a replacement with this new cover however when I went to look at in the shop the same problem was on the new cover shop sample. Would be really interested in anyone's views as I went for what I expected to be a higher end mattress which would last.
  • eeeeeee
    eeeeeee Posts: 459 Forumite
    Options
    clean is all i can say it needs too be clean and unused
    NSD = 3/31 spent = £97.88/31 groceries = £26/31 fuel =2/31
    various debts = /£14366.89:eek:secured loan = /£13887.21 full settlement figuremortgage = /£64,342.45
    ime not debt free ,but ime trying JANUARY BIG FINANCIAL FREEZE (JBFF)no35
    proud owner of a british bullog puppies due end of jan2013
  • tenson
    tenson Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 December 2012 at 12:13PM
    Options
    when comparing bed or mattress prices on line to the shop price you must ensure you are getting the same product, as 9 times out of 10 your not . some on line beds and mattresses are made different to there bricks and mortor ranges , they may be in the same cover , they may have the same lables , but i know a few manufactures who do pull the odd layer of filling out , who do put in less springs and also do cut down on the overall quality knowing that you shouldnt have been able to compare...believe me this does happen.
    Salus are moving in the right direction with there product as is king koil , moving away from the online markets helps in a multitude of different ways ,
    helps maintain exclusivity
    keeps prices so retailers dont have to compete too much , this then in turn filters back to the manufactures who can maintain there high level of quality and workmanship without the need to produce cheaper models , cheaper models only de-value a brand and in turn gives it a bad name when things go wrong ie silentnight and sealy beds. these were good bed companies back in the 80,s and early ninetys but in recent times products fail with regular occurance , this is down to people wanting cheaper and cheaper products , you buy cheap in the bed market it wont be long till your buying again .
    for the survival of the high street and its retailers they have to now debrand products to stop the growing trend of people checking out internet comparisons . own lables and bed models named to shops own branding will be more the norm this coming year , shop keepers must be customer savvy and stop the "try then walk" mentality thats going round. people need retailers on the street , cause the day they have all gone youll all be sorry , you wont be able to try anything ,youll be buying a bed blind , which is rather like buying a pair of shoes , if you havent tried it you have no idea how it feels .
    good retailers will also do you free delivery , take the bed upstairs , unwrap it , take away any rubbish and the old bed if required , and god forbid anything goes wrong you just bob in the store and anybody worth his salt will put things right ...no emails , no waiting , no faceless people , ...go visit your little independant retailer ,
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Wow. I don't know where to start disagreeing with you. (At least I think I do. I don't speak whatever language you just typed in)

First of all for something you can't take away with you from the store (unless you have a large vehicle) it doesn't make a difference making a quick phone call/email vs going to the shop. It will be resolved in the same amount of time. But you save on petrol and time if you stay home.
    Delivery service isn't better just because its an individual store. Sometimes it's worse (hard to be flexible if you live far away for example)

Also, you say it's better of everyone has exclusive mattresses because... The retailers can charge more because the is less competition. Well. You've come to the wrong forum xD
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Pinkypants
    Options
    A quick phone call?? have you tired ringing some of the call centres? They can take an age to answer the phone and then read from a script!

emails can go unanswered for days....

Yes, it's better that the stores make a profit and sell a decent product, as the high street is disappearing enough. Online is killing decent products because everyone wants to be the cheapest, therefore the quality of the products is being debased.

Although I'd admit this is meant to be a money saving forum.

Merry Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family