Free solar power system. Is it a scam?

edited 22 February 2013 at 4:30PM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
1.3K replies 329K views

Replies

• noncom_2noncom_2 Forumite
    212 Posts
    Actually no, most energy companies are taking the view at the moment that Export Meters are too costly to be worth fitting, and are therefore offering "deemed export" - basically they just assume that you will use half of what is generated and export half, so they will pay you 41.3p per unit on everything you generate plus 3p per unit on half of that amount.

That said, they will still be rather unhappy if they find at the end of a billing period that your meter reading is lower than it started.
  • edited 2 August 2010 at 5:18PM
    John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    edited 2 August 2010 at 5:18PM
    noncom wrote: »
    Actually no, most energy companies are taking the view at the moment that Export Meters are too costly to be worth fitting, and are therefore offering "deemed export" - basically they just assume that you will use half of what is generated and export half, so they will pay you 41.3p per unit on everything you generate plus 3p per unit on half of that amount.

That said, they will still be rather unhappy if they find at the end of a billing period that your meter reading is lower than it started.

.......and when they 'phone up to complain, just put them on hold and ask them to press half a dozen telephone keys at random and play them a bit of music.:rotfl:

Eventually tell them that it is a 25 year contract and if they can get the cheque to you by the end of the week you will agree to take your business elsewhere?:T

BTW EDF is trying to get involved in the installation of PV panels: 0800 0511905 (I have no idea if they are any good or competitive on price.)
  • who takes responsibilty for maintenance and for how long ? who takes care of insurance ie vandalism,acts of god etc.
  • quoiaquoia Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Anyone on here had the system from A Shade Greener installed (or pending or surveyed) in Derby ?
    I know DERBYshire is available as an area within range but I think Derby itself might be borderline.

Where is a representive from the company when you want / need one, especially when there was one answering queries like this. Can we have Sarah back PLEASE ?

Do you think they use Google Maps to work out the "1 hour range" ?

If I use the directions facility and put my postcode in as one location and TANKERSLEY as the other (it's 0.8 of a mile from junction 36 of the M1) it comes up with 2 possibilities.

M1 down to junction 25 and then into Derby via the A52 or only down as far as junction 28 and use the A38 instead.

It calculates the distance via the A38 as 51.3 miles and a "travel time" of exactly "1 hour 0 mins"

It is actually further using the A52 at 54.6 miles but has a reduced time at just 58 minutes.

Hope this means I am within range because my roof is pointing just where it needs to and I'm sure it is plenty big enough.

So any Derby success ?
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • edited 3 August 2010 at 4:45PM
    seejayessseejayess Forumite
    7 Posts
    edited 3 August 2010 at 4:45PM
    who takes responsibilty for maintenance and for how long ? who takes care of insurance ie vandalism,acts of god etc.
    It's very simple solarquestions - just read it all on the ASG site ;)
  • edited 4 August 2010 at 12:57AM
    PoosmatePoosmate Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    edited 4 August 2010 at 12:57AM
    Bumping this up so others can read it in view of the new discussion thread that's been opened on the Utilities Board!
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • OptimistOptimist Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Poosmate wrote: »
    Bumping this up so others can read it in view of the new discussion thread that's been opened on the Utilities Board!

Which is Here
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Mcfi5dhcMcfi5dhc Forumite
    323 Posts
    noncom wrote: »

Won't export meters be redundant when we all have to have smart meters? And therefore won't people gain less free electricity from ASG systems?
  • edited 4 August 2010 at 11:55AM
    PsyonPsyon Forumite
    4 Posts
    edited 4 August 2010 at 11:55AM
    Sorry, new to the forums.

Not sure if someone has mentioned this already. Sorry if they have.

So it's estimated that the govt. will give £800 per year (est. on a 3kw system).

so.. here's my math:

£0.413p / kwh (less than 4kw retro fit).
    ISIS installs 3kw system.

£0.413p x 3 = £1.239 (earning per hour from Govt. FIT scheme).
    Shortest day of the year has 7hours a day. (worse case for whole year avg.)

£1.239 x 7 = £8.673 / day

£8.673 x 365days = householder gets paid £3,165.645 / year.

This is not including the 3p "deemed usage" either.
    What have I calculated wrong? pls help.

(of course, this money goes to ISIS if I take the free install option, and to me if I pay up front)
  • Mcfi5dhcMcfi5dhc Forumite
    323 Posts
    Psyon wrote: »
    Sorry, new to the forums.

Not sure if someone has mentioned this already. Sorry if they have.

So it's estimated that the govt. will give £800 per year (est. on a 3kw system).

so.. here's my math:

£0.413p / kwh (less than 4kw retro fit).
    ISIS installs 3kw system.

£0.413p x 3 = £1.239 (earning per hour from Govt. FIT scheme).
    Shortest day of the year has 7hours a day. (worse case for whole year avg.)

£1.239 x 7 = £8.673

£8.673 x 365days = £3,165.645 / year.

What have I calculated wrong? pls help.

(of course, this money goes to ISIS if I take the free install option, and to me if I pay up front)

Your calculations are flawed for 2 reasons.
    1) You are assuming that all daylight is strong sunlight (e.g. your worst case scenario of 7 hours a day)
    2) you are assuming that the numbers of hours of sunlight per day is linear

A better way of looking at the calculations would be the following:

A PV system will generate a number of units directly proportional to how far North or South you are in the county. Southern counties will have a higher percentage, Scottish will be lower. I live near Chester, and over the last two years, I have got roughly 850 watts per Kwp installed

So, my system is 1.44 kwp, and 1.44*850 equals about 1200 units per year.

1200 * 41.3p, would be £495, plus your export bonus of maybe £20 (1200 * half exported* 3p)

So if you are further south than Chester, maybe do 900 units per kwp, and if you are further North, maybe do 800 units per kwp

Hope this helps

PS you have a final flaw, the government doesn't give you a penny. They tell the energy companies that they must do this, so the money comes from them, not government.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides