PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways?

Comments

• In a word, NO! I have always shopped in cs, jumble sales, bought 2nd hand stuff, swapped and made do, where possible. When my dd were younger it was out of necessity, because we were poor. I have much more money now, but still begrudge waste. My 2 dd used to cross the road when I went into cs, but they are quite happy to shop there themselves now.

I am quite happy asking for a discount when buying something, the seller can only say no. My dh used to feel a bit uncomfortable (and couldn't really see the point) with my ms ways, until a couple of years ago, when he wanted an expensive boys toy (Large Motor Bike) He was very impressed when I got him a good deal & paid cash. He will never be as ms as me, but he is a lot more respectful of my ms ethos now!!

katiex
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi

I take the view that my money saving ways allow me to buy better quality things when it matters and still pay my credit card bill off.

I love shopping at farmers markets. I know I can buy sausages alot cheaper in the supermarket but I do worry what goes in some of them.... I also prefer to try and buy locally and support local retailers / farmers.

I love looking in charity shops as its amazing what you can find. But the look on some of my friends faces when you admit that you visit charity shops....

I'm slowly teaching my son my MSE ways He now likes a look around a car boot or charity shop as he can get alot of toys / pokemon cards for £2.

The one memory that still makes me laugh is a story from my Granny. She went into a carvery with my grandfather (both dead now) and my uncle and aunt. The had beef from a rib of beef that had nearly been all carved. My granny commented to the staff how much meat there was still on the bone. Shortly after they presented my granny with a tinfoil parcel, much to my uncle's embarassment. She took it and thoroughly enjoyed the leftovers. The restaurant would have binned it !
    To me MSE is about maximizing how much use I get from my money whether I spend it or save it !!

Don't feel guilty or embarassed about being careful with your money !!
  • ceridwen wrote: »
    My own mother comments unfavourably about some of my MSE ways as being things "that poor people do" or they're "too much hassle".

I hate it when you suggest something money saving to someone and they say 'it's too much hassle or 'I can't be bothered'! Annoys me so much! Then the next minute they are moaing that things are too expensive!!! :mad:
  • Mudbath
    Mudbath Posts: 5,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Fantastic thread! I totally embarrassed a friend when we went shopping today. I wanted to buy some tops and was offered a store card which would mean I'd get a further 30% off the clothes that were already in the sale. I agreed and told my friend I'd just pay it off and cut the card up when it arrived. She was horrified that I'd go to all that bother - bless her, she bought one top for £145:eek: and put it on her already near the limit credit card!!

We then went for lunch and I suggested her favourite restaurant that just happened to be doing 2 for 1. She didn't want to be seen sitting in the restaurant when that deal was on as she'd feel cheap! Me, I'm happy to be cheap!! And she wonders why she's in debt. I have told her about this site but as of yet she's not interested.

By the way - I remember the Grapes from when I used to work in Manchester....great little pub!
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always been MSE (I love the reduced sections and sales etc) I can remember my dad looking through umpteen shopping bags after me and my mum had been to Tesco and actually asked if we had bought anything full price!

Since having my own house and DS I've definetley become more MSE. Currently on maternity leave so I have been swotting up on all the lovely tips on here and checking online for the best bargains.

I normally buy clothes from Ebay (haven't had the pleasure of charity shops because its too much hassle trying to humf the pram around town - but then again cos I don't go up the town with the pram I don't buy so much!)

I'm registered with Freecycle, and most of my furniture in my house was "cast off's' from family & friends; its all in great conditon!!

I was always brought up to learn the value of the pound and i'll make my money go as far as it can.

(I have spent a fair bit on Xmas - mainly on my mum and dad as a thank you for all the help they gave me with the munchkin - but what ive spent is way less than what the RRP should be)

The way I see it, they people who scoff have more money than sense (or are just too silly to see that their money can be better spent!!)
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 November 2009 at 11:01PM
    The one memory that still makes me laugh is a story from my Granny. She went into a carvery with my grandfather (both dead now) and my uncle and aunt. The had beef from a rib of beef that had nearly been all carved. My granny commented to the staff how much meat there was still on the bone. Shortly after they presented my granny with a tinfoil parcel, much to my uncle's embarassment. She took it and thoroughly enjoyed the leftovers. The restaurant would have binned it !

When we recently went for a Toby carvery I enquired about the turkey they were carving (nearly finished and the legs ignored and put to one side) - there was still loads of meat on it. I was told it was against Health and Safety rules for them to supply me with food to eat off premises :confused:. I even offered to sign a disclaimer, but they were adamant, so presumably it was binned :mad:.

Such a waste (in my mind I had already made a big pan of soup and a few portions of curry out of it :o) - my family, on the other hand were mortified that I'd asked - especially when I gave the manager a lecture on food waste!! :D

Last Christmas I brought home all the left-over veg out of the serving dishes - made a huge pan of Cauliflower & Stilton soup and a cheesy vegetable crumble. My sister would have just chucked the lot :eek:!!

OMG!! I think I am just being thrifty and realistic - but reading this back it makes me sound like I am cheap:o:o:o!! Somebody reassure me that it's OK!!
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • Mudbath
    Mudbath Posts: 5,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lol, we're not cheap....we just hate seeing waste when there's a bargain to be had!
  • Has anyone else ever felt embarassed by their MSE ways?

In a word, no.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • IlonaRN wrote: »
    I would imagine that the eggs have been pasteurised, and so would be suitable for anything that required raw or not-quite-cooked egg, without the risk of salmonella poisoning, which can be fatal.

So I wouldn't buy eggs in cartons for anything that I knew would be cooked through, but for things like chocolate mousse or other non-cooked foods, I would look to buy them rather than use normal eggs.

As pasteurisation involves heating for 30 mins and then rapidly cooling - which would cook the eggs, its only really suitable for liquids like milk, apple juice etc.

Ordinary free range eggs tend to be better in all respects and safe to use. Not all chickens have salmonella - any outbreaks do tend to occur mainly in caged hen units.

I think you haved been seduced by the marketing con of this type of con-venience food by imagining that ready prepared eggs are some how 'better' , 'more hygiene' or 'cleaner' than normal eggs.

The egg is a superb piece biological design , it is perfectly and airtightly packaged so the contents of a normal egg are safe from contamination & bacteria until the moment the egg is cracked. Locally sourced, they are fresh, from happy hens and cheap

Consider on the other hand, how the ready prepared egg arrives on the shelf, not only from a salmonella point of view, but also from a moral and environmental standpoint..... the eggs will be bulk bought from the cheapest supplier -which will invariably be a intensively farmed caged hen unit - maybe in the UK or smaybe shipped in from Europe and "processed" en masse in a factory before being put into a plastic carton and shipped to a distribution point before being distributed out to the supermarkets

Do yourself, the chickens and your local smallholders/farmers a favour and buy local free range. Think about where your food, all your food comes from!

Sorry for the rant but have strong opinions on farming caged hens - it should be banned
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    at a christmas night out a few years back few of us had the cheese board and i think there must have been about 2lb cheese on each plate-mainly stilton which i love.friends sitting beside me gave me what they didnt want and i wrapped it in a napkin and came home with a bagfull of cheese lovely.dont know if i would have taken friends cheese if they didnt offer it but would have brought home my own
    my mum used to love charity shops and i would go with her but never really bothered looking im now a fairly regular visitor.being a plus size lady not ever much choice in clothes in my size for my age group but have had a few things
    did an online shop few months back-dont often do shopping this way as i cant get to scout about for the bargains but health determined i couldnt go out to shops-and i had bags and bags of smart price items-didnt bother me a bit but as i was buying for the month laughed with kids as i had 2 carrier bags full of smartprice noodles 8p each i think they were at the time-kids loved them at the time and even ran out before end of month lol
    it bothers me sometimes re me being MS , other times im ok with it and sometimes i wish i was moreso such as when i pass gardens with trees laden down with fruit that goes unpicked-few orchard type gardens near me i always say wish i had the nerve to knock on door and ask if i could pick the fruit

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family