Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways?

edited 17 November 2009 at 7:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
297 replies 58.7K views

Replies

• I absolutley look forward to the day when my money saving is good enough that people could be embarresed by my habbits. I have been a silly girl and got myself in debt. I am embarresed to admit to my family my situation and never want to feel this way again.

So when I'm dragging my lovely son around charity shops and taking home cheese and other leftovers I will know that is the day I reached my goal.

To spend more time enjoying the little things in life whilst I spend less money on absolutle rubbish and wastefully throwing things away.

I'm looking to make 2010 the start of my thriftyness with a total clothes shopping ban and continuing my menu planning, batch cooking and chicken streeeetching.

Never be embarresed for who you are and let them feel embarresed for you because you're too busy snacking on your free cheese and enjoying your charity shop bargain.
    Baby Boy B 30/08/2008 Baby Girl B 16/12/2010

Determined to become debt free ready for my wedding 2012!
  • edited 14 November 2009 at 12:57AM
    BronnieBronnie Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 November 2009 at 12:57AM
    As pasteurisation involves heating for 30 mins and then rapidly cooling - which would cook the eggs, its only really suitable for liquids like milk, apple juice etc.

QUOTE]

Not quite right! In milk, pasteurisation involves heating to 71.7 degrees C for 15 secs.

In fact, a process has been developed whereby whole eggs in shells can be pasteurised and remain as a raw shell egg.

http://safeeggs.com/consumers/retail-eggs.html

Do agree with most of the rest of your post though!!
  • My neighbour text last night to ask whether I wanted some left-over Indian takeaway. I said only if it was going to be binned. She duly arrived with an almost full carton of lamb bhuna and a full carton of rice, all of which would have been binned. Guess what my husband's having for lunch today?;)
  • ceridwenceridwen
    11.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    janeym8 wrote: »
    it bothers me sometimes re me being MS , other times im ok with it and sometimes i wish i was moreso such as when i pass gardens with trees laden down with fruit that goes unpicked-few orchard type gardens near me i always say wish i had the nerve to knock on door and ask if i could pick the fruit

janey xxx

So do I - I've now established that the "going rate" in barter payment for being allowed to pick a fruit tree seems to be a bit of the resultant goodies - eg a couple of jars of jam or 2 "family-size" fruit pies or similar. So I now know what to "pay" for the privilege of stripping someone's tree - and I'm still gathering up my nerve to ask...:cool:
  • I'm new to MS and am enjoying surprising people with my thrifty ways .... I'm not sure if they were actually embaressed but my mum and sister were certainly shocked when I picked up and took home a fantastic jacket sized potato I spotted in the supermarket carpark. It had obviously fallen out of someones bag.
    There was nothing wrong with it and was a free lunch as far as I was concerned but they just couldn't believe it.
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
  • Never be embarresed for who you are and let them feel embarresed for you because you're too busy snacking on your free cheese and enjoying your charity shop bargain.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that, Kellylea - you are quite right! Am going to make my New Year's resolution not to lie about where I have bought any bargains from - instead of saying I got it from Marks & Spencer, I'm going to be honest and say "Help the Aged"! x
  • I'm new to MS and am enjoying surprising people with my thrifty ways .... I'm not sure if they were actually embaressed but my mum and sister were certainly shocked when I picked up and took home a fantastic jacket sized potato I spotted in the supermarket carpark. It had obviously fallen out of someones bag.
    There was nothing wrong with it and was a free lunch as far as I was concerned but they just couldn't believe it.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hope you enjoyed it!
  • jamespirjamespir Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was embarresed in tescos last week cause i was using my clubcard vouchers and i was 5 p under and they wouldnt let me have it
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • A colleague made me feel a bit embarrased when I suggested to only use half a dish washer tablet in the work dish washer - she couldn't believe that I had being doing this at home for years -all the dishes always come out clean so why use a whole tablet when you can get away with just a half?
  • OlliebeakOlliebeak Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frugalista wrote: »
    When we recently went for a Toby carvery I enquired about the turkey they were carving (nearly finished and the legs ignored and put to one side) - there was still loads of meat on it. I was told it was against Health and Safety rules for them to supply me with food to eat off premises :confused:. I even offered to sign a disclaimer, but they were adamant, so presumably it was binned :mad:.

Such a waste (in my mind I had already made a big pan of soup and a few portions of curry out of it :o) - my family, on the other hand were mortified that I'd asked - especially when I gave the manager a lecture on food waste!! :D

Any proper chef worth his salary, would have had at least stock made from that carcasse and possible the foundations of a Turkey and Ham Pie to be served on a buffet table. But I think those Toby Carvery places, are not allowed to 'vary the menu' due to being part of a chain of restaurants.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides