Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways? - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways?

edited 17 November 2009 at 8:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
297 replies 58.6K views

Replies

• zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi No More Usernames! Welcome.! Poor you, everyone knowing about your bin hoking antics. Would have been much worse if you were hoking for food! At least you were helping save the planet!

Frozen omelette? Beaten eggs? Jeez. I didn't know such things existed. My neighbour buys pre peeled potatoes and chopped veg - if she had a health issue I would understand but it's pure laziness and convenience . The potatoes "taste" different though. They really do. Eugh.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• JevversJevvers Forumite
    648 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Oh I was once embarrassed when I was about 22 and on the dole and I went to a cafe with an earning friend. I just ordered a cup of tea and she had a drink and a sandwich. I tried to eat my 99p shop bought sandwich under the table but a member of staff spotted it and came over and told me off. :o
    Mortgage 1: £243,034 0.99%, i/o, ends May 2026 MFW date 20 Aug 2020
    Mortgage 2: [STRIKE]£166,966[/STRIKE] £159,066 0.99%, repaymt, ends Oct 2033
    Total: £402,100
  • Personally, I think the more open everyone becomes, the less embarrassing it will become. It will become the 'norm'.

Nobody will think twice about asking the waiter to bag up the food you can't eat, so you can take it home (no need for wrapping it in a napkin under the table)

Charity shops will become a valuable resource where people can search out a bargin.

And the world will be a happier, less wasteful place.

Be glad people, for you are ahead of the game, you are the trend setters!
  • FrugalistaFrugalista Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm certainly not embarassed - and I would have taken the cheese too :D.

My one sister is not short of money and, when we went shopping together, would often leave the extra BOGOF's on the shelf saying "Well, I only need the one". I think she was a bit gobsmacked when I asked her to put them through the till anyway - and I would take the one she didn't want. Saved me a few quid that way :T.
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • valk_scot wrote: »
    WHAT???? You can buy such things?????? How on earth can anyone be so *insert word of choice here* that they can't break an egg?

How about this then....2 hard boiled, de-shelled eggs, Asda, something like 79p!! :eek:

OMG how hard is it to boil an egg?? And you could get a box of 6 eggs for nearly that price.

Convenience - the first syllable is C O N!
    "Put the kettle on Turkish, lets have a nice cup of tea.....no sugars for me.....I'm sweet enough"
  • Icey77Icey77 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    My ex was grossly red in the face in the local curry house when I asked for doggybag for the leftovers from our dinner. The waiter very nicely took it all away and returned with a paperbag of boxed up food.

My dinner the next evening was scrummy as anything and when the ex came wandering in asking where his share was I told him I was eating it all as I had brought it home with me, he would have seen it thrown away without complaint.
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford

Got Married ~ 19th March 2011 :D

DD Born 16th March 2012 :D:D:D DS Born 3rd May 2014 :D:D:D
  • edited 12 November 2009 at 5:54PM
    KatieKinsKatieKins Forumite
    443 posts
    edited 12 November 2009 at 5:54PM
    Last year I was up early to go to work and I stopped to get some stuff from the shops. In the car park was loads of recycling bins like humana etc. Someone has dumped loads of empty paint pots and metal scraps, rags and some random bits and bobs outside the humana bin and there was a mirror there. It was really nice so I took it (and cleaned all the paint and dirt off it) and my boyfriend was appalled when I told him!! I said well it's just going to be binned now by the cleaners when they sweep the car park - and someone has dumped all this rubbish including the mirror, because they want rid but can't be bothered to go to the dump!!!

I have to admit I did have a check around to see nobody noticed me looking at it!

Also when I was younger I HATED going in charity shops as I just thought it was embarassing. Now I love it and I am always finding some fab things in them!
  • zippychick wrote: »

Frozen omelette? Beaten eggs? Jeez. I didn't know such things existed. My neighbour buys pre peeled potatoes and chopped veg - if she had a health issue I would understand but it's pure laziness and convenience . The potatoes "taste" different though. They really do. Eugh.

I thought it was just me who thought that ready prepared veg tasted 'funny'. I can't quite put my finger on why, or what it is but there is something not quite right isn't there.
  • zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was just me who thought that ready prepared veg tasted 'funny'. I can't quite put my finger on why, or what it is but there is something not quite right isn't there.
    I dunno, i think you can just taste the chemicals! Must have a look round next time I am shopping, see what else CONvenience can buy me! :rotfl: (and for how much!)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• I thought it was just me who thought that ready prepared veg tasted 'funny'. I can't quite put my finger on why, or what it is but there is something not quite right isn't there.

I should imagine its the chlorine that they also rinse the pre-packed salad in!

I am no paragon of virtue when it comes to OS, for me, the odd saving means I can spend/do elsewhere. So I am quite happy to buy my daughter charity shop books, or buy reduced items from the supermarket - just common sense.

But I think I took the cheese one step further... I was in Claridges at Gordon Ramsey a few years ago and didn't finish the truffles they served with the coffee. So I asked to take them home. Suprisingly the waiters didn't bat an eyelid and found a little gold box for me to take them in. They also turned a blind eye when I snaffled the menu as a souvenir!

I wouldn't think twice about asking for my leftovers to be packaged - I think particularly pizza etc. Most restaurants have tinfoil boxes for leftovers, no matter what type of place you are in.

BTW, I don't get to go to great restaurants anymore - I am now a stay at home mother to my 20 month old and am expecting number 2. Gordon Ramsey was in the days when I had a city salary and a lot of disposable income!! These days I am thrilled by the idea of a meal in Frankie and Bennies with my husband on our wedding anniversary!!!

But I am not embarrassed, nor would I be. Most of my friends are in the same position - whether through necessity or because they are saving for houses/just being careful during the recession. I can't imagine how awful it would feel to be judged because of sensible, frugal behaviour.

AG.