Is it time to ban Christmas presents? Blog and poll discussion

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just re-read the original article, and decided its time to get this thread going again for Christmas 2013.

I was leafing through the Boots Health & Beauty magazine this evening and was entirely unimpressed by the focus on gift-giving. Give material items when there is a need or a particular want, otherwise something thoughtful is a much better idea.

I thought the De-ho,ho-motivator was hilarious though :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I completely ignore Christmas, I just couldn't care less. The grief and hassle that people put themselves through, no wonder more murders are committed on Christmas day than any other.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 November 2013 at 6:58AM
    Options
    My little family has done the majority of its Christmas shopping.
    From us - son has new waterproof trousers for when he rides his bike. We went halves with his girlfriend's new winter coat.

From them - we are having an English Heritage membership for our Christmas and Birthdays, which are both in January.

Just got my birth mother to do and we are doing her some photos in a silver frame that we already have (although never used). Some of us and some of her now deceased husband, whom she adored. She and I only met for the first time less than two years ago, so try to make up a bit for all the Christmases she never had She is in her eighties. I have a birth aunt too (in her nineties) and I shall buy her a small gift of chocs or biscuits.

I have an elderly sister, but I'll send her a card, we haven't bought presents for each other for over thirty years.

That's it. :) Easy Peasy. Don't know what all the fuss is about.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I completely ignore Christmas, I just couldn't care less. The grief and hassle that people put themselves through, no wonder more murders are committed on Christmas day than any other.
    :eek::eek::eek:

Funerals are expensive, nothing MSE about that!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    .... The grief and hassle that people put themselves through, no wonder more murders are committed on Christmas day than any other.

Really? Do you have a source for that data?

The Home Office once did a report on the seasonality of crime. As far as I can remember it showed that there was more crime against the person in summer than winter.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Well there is a way around this ever spend Xmas habit of buying unwanted gifts for relatives. Have some Xmas cards specially printed saying that basically 'we are not doing Xmas but giving a charitable donation instead to the 'abc' organisation on your behalf instead.' Problem solved:j

You might think so. I've just had a big birthday and my party invitations specifically asked for no gifts, and gave suggestions of 2 charities to give to instead. My in-laws completely ignored this and bought me a fleece gilet costing £120 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's from an "outdoors boutique" that only exists in a town near them, so I can't return it. Doesn't fit me, either :o
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My family don't do Christmas presents. It's a blessing as saves me time, money and stress.

Plus there is nothing worse than buying presents for people when they just put them back of a cupboard to be forgotten about until the first car boot of the year arrives.

Go to any charity shop mid Jan onwards for seeing unwanted presents on the shelves.

Plus shops are full of rip off gift sets. I have seen boxes of 2x Dove shower gel and a body puff thing for £7. Go to a supermarket that has Dove for £1 or £1.20, get a puff from Wilkinsons for 70p. You are paying more than double for a bloody box!

I don't mind receiving gift cards, but not for shops I don't shop at or the nearest one is 55 miles away!
  • dstr
    Options
    I totally agree with this article. I recently wrote this poem to text/email to friends to try and push the point home with an element of laughter. Feel free to use it yourself!!

Well here's wishing you all seasons greetings,
    And joyful drunken gatherings and meetings.
    For that is what gives me a real lift,
    Rather than panicking about a card and a gift.

So this year all I request of you,
    is fun and frolics on an evening or two.
    I wish you all good luck and prosperity
    In these times of cutbacks and austerity!

This Christmas I will donate to a good cause,
    and at my own fortunate position think and pause...
    Good food and company is what's important to me,
    But I still ain't putting up a sparkly christmas tree![/QUOTE]
  • DU51Two
    DU51Two Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I told some of my family this year that I wasn't buying presents so I have been excluded from their Christmas celebrations. Just goes to show that they are only prepared to buy a present if they get one back! It reinforces the sanity of my decision! They obviously don't understand the spirit of Christmas.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We decided to implement the no present rule this year, and we let extended family know in the summer, and reminded them a couple of times since.

We are both working extreamly long hours so not much time for shopping, we are saving, and don't really believe in Christmas anyway, and to be honest, guilt ridden trips to charity shops in January. Most of the time, gifts received are never stuff we would choose ourselves

Me and hubby 100% stuck to it, didn't buy anything for anyone, but to our horror, a few family members still insisted on giving gifts to us, which was highly embarrassing.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure