Northern Ireland Wedding Info

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
55 replies 27.7K views
The_RodgeThe_Rodge Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
I am getting married in July 2010 near Belfast and have really just started organising!
I would appreciate any info and recommendations you NI money savers have on the following:

Bridesmaid dresses
Photographer
Entertainment
Reception decoration - chair covers etc
Cars
Hairdresser
Makeup Artist

I've booked my venue and bought my dress (from a shop that was closing down in Limavady but thats as far as I've got!)

Replies

• rjh090384rjh090384 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    bridesmaid dress of you only have one sample sales are a great idea - mine was £35.
    if ur money sainv gyou dont need chair covers
    cars - we skipped mine but hired a subaru from subaru donnelly for £100 for husband
    make up artist - visit the girls at urban decay in debenhams - they did mine for £20 at my hotel and were wonderful - i didnt even have to buy anything
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • mypiemypie Forumite
    291 Posts
    Hi

I too am getting married in northern ireland in 2010. I have shopped about for everything and think we have got the best possible for the prices we can afford.

Our Dj is George Welsh City: Belfast Tel: 028 9048 4323 he has done many family parties for us and I would highly recommend him. You could ring him for prices as I think it depends on the times and distance he has to travel but I think he is very resonable and worth it.

our photographer is Alpha-omega photography
    I am not sure again on prices but I can confirm that the guy who owns it is a pleasure to deal with and I am sure he would help you out if he could.

Cars we are using a company called daimler hire or somthing they are in castledawson. it is costing us £360 for 2 cars for the afternoon. I think this was the cheapest we found but also the guy was reliable and very helpful so I am confident that on the day he will provide a good service.

I am still hunting for cheap chair covers but can't seem to find any yet. If you do let me know. It seems that £3 a chair is the going rate.

Wedding cake we are prob just going for M & S as I can't justify paying 100s for a cake.

I bought my Bridesmaid dresses from ebay as a girl had bought them all and decided to change her colours so i managed to get all 3 new dresses including delivery for £80.

The girl that is doing my make up isn't cheap to be honest but she is worth every penny but if you are looking for a budget option I would consider the make stands. You might even get a part timer looking to make a few £££.

If I can help with anything else give me a shout.
    “A house is made of walls and beams;
    a home is built with love and dreams.”
    2012 Challenge to buy most gifts and non essentials from money made online.:money:
  • TorbyTorby Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• ChocoChoco Forumite
    271 Posts
    We attended a wedding recently and on this occasion the Bride & Groom decided since neither of them wanted a wedding cake they had our Chocoalte Fountain instead. When the time came to "Cut the cake" they instead came over to the fountain & had chocolate dips of strawberries, profiteroles etc and it went down a treat with both Bride & Groom and all the guests!
  • Jaime-VJaime-V Forumite
    466 Posts
    I can recommend these suppliers that we used for our wedding...

www.4everphotos.net Annette is fab and so down to earth

www.5stardisco.co.uk Paul is very professional and been to other events where he has been dj'ing and very very good

Cars - if you contact some funeral directors they are much cheaper than 'wedding' companies! We used Fleming & Cuthbert in Ballyclare, had an immaculate daimler and stretch limo for half the price of other places. My sister used Melvilles on the York Rd.

Reception decor - does the hotel provide table centres? chair covers, we didn't bother and never missed them!

Cake - jennys cakes in Bangor, it was our one extravagance! as I wanted a quirky cake. My sister had M&S cakes and they were scrummy.

I got my dresses from ebay, I think they have a website now www.jewlz.co.uk I think.

HTH
    Norn Iron club member - 265
  • mofopantsmofopants Forumite
    274 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    i'm another 2010 bride

entertainment - we are having haste to the wedding http://www.hastetothewedding.com/ - we saw them at another wedding and it was the best entertainment i've seen at a wedding

cars - we got a price off david andrews, but we are having our own classic minis as wedding cars

Chair covers - not having them as OH hates them, but i think that there is a place in antrim called fairytales.
  • Hi, i got married in august and would also recommend 5stardisco. they were great and had everyone off their seat. For photography, we used Truscott photography. Cant recommend them highly enough. The album is amazing and was very comepetive in terms of price. Have a look at their website.
  • For a brilliant photographer that doesn't take the hand I would recommend Bill Smyth (google him for his website). Honestly we got great photos and the leather album in the suitcase all for 3 figures. He also gave us a cd with all the photos on.
    Another photogrpaher had quoted over £2000 for the same album, plus if we wanted extra photos to give to relatives we would have to pay for them!!

Our cake was done by a woman in Comber, can't remember her name, but she was great, no hassle, really straightforward.

Cars were from David Andrews.

We had friends do the band and the venue recommended a DJ who was fine, but cant remember his name.

Good luck!
    Norn Iron Member 383
  • snowmensnowmen Forumite
    542 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    our venue was the dunadry (just past templepatrick on the way to the international airport) and we couldn't fault them.

cars - I would echo going to a funeral directors. Much cheaper - and when they put the ribbon on no-one recognises the cars anyway. We went to James Brown on the newtownards road and had no problems.

cake - jennys cakes in bangor were excellent and no problems whatsoever. We have a top table cake done which I could pm you the pictures of. We sent a photo of everyone who was to be at the top table and the layout of it - the resulting cake was amazing.

balloons - we got from luce balloons in lisburn. No problems.

bridesmaid dresses - we got them from direct dresses which is on kennedy way, just off stockmans lane roundabout in belfast. Again brilliant to deal with (make sure to book a prior appointment as with most wedding dress shops) and a lot cheaper than some shops.

transport from the church to reception - belfast bus company who were prompt and courteous.

hope this helps!
  • We got our car from valuecabs, £130 for a lovely mercedes E-class, driver was very pleasant and didn't mind stopping at mcdonalds on the way from the church to the reception :D

Paul from 5 star disco as mentioned previously does a great job.

Cake came from M&S on one of their buy 2 get the 3rd free deals

Flowers were from DKNI and were very nice and not pricey, plus he already had the contract to supply the flowers for the reception venue so tied them in nicely.

Wedding rings were bought from Gardiners wholesale jewellers place in belfast, i'm not sure if we saved a few pound on her ring or allowed her to get more sparkley bits for the same money :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides