New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

HM Lollies

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
143 replies 13K views

Replies

• edited 25 May 2010 at 7:26AM
    thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 May 2010 at 7:26AM
    Felicity wrote: »
    I just bought some of those reusable lolly contraptions to make some lollies for my toddler.

My first thoughts were to make some milk lollies and I have bought some mangoes (for sweetness) and bananas (for creaminess).

I thought of just whizzing the fruits up with some full fat milk and wondered if I could get some advice from you ladies on this forum to save me wasting my ingredients.

Would my plan work do you think? I was thinking of just blending it all and putting it in the freezer ... then waiting for the warm weather!
    Felicity, I make fruit lollies by whizzing up fruits and yogurt or milk. I usually add some sugar because freezing dulls the sweetness of the fruit a bit. I have a recipe for chocolate lollies made with cocoa and milk. Another favourite is a tin of pineapple plus its juice blended with some yogurt and a handful of coconut. Mixed summer fruits blended with orange juice and sieved to get rid of the seeds makes great lollies. I'm making blackberry and apple lollies today using blackberries that I've had in my freezer for months and some apple juice.
  • angukanguk Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where I can get lolly moulds that you put wooden sticks in? Lakeland sell the sticks but not the moulds for them.

All the moulds I've seen have the reusable sticks and they always seem to go missing. :mad: I know I could just use wooden sticks in my existing moulds but I'd like moulds that hold the sticks in the right place.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • ceridwenceridwen
    11.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wondering whether I could just put the wooden lolly sticks I have anyway (for garden markers) into tubs with something suitable in them for lolly purposes (like some fruit juice - or I've noted the idea re cocoa powder with milk and thought "Ah - I bet I could use carob powder/milk/agave nectar:D").

I've "rescued" a couple of small size yogurt containers and thought "Maybe I could put my lolly mix and wooden lolly stick in one of them and shove in the freezer and - bingo - icelollies"?
  • DustykittenDustykitten Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ceridwen - how did they turn out? Can I ask why you use agave nectar? Where to you get your carob from?
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a flickr set called Ice Lollies. You'll be able to find the recipe for the chocolate lollies plus some other ideas :)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • angukanguk Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thriftlady wrote: »
    I have a flickr set called Ice Lollies. You'll be able to find the recipe for the chocolate lollies plus some other ideas :)
    Your lolly mould is exactly what I've been looking for! Can I ask where you got it from please?
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got it from Lakeland a few years ago, but typicallly they don't stock them anymore. I tracked them down here. You can buy sticks from Lakeland.
  • ceridwenceridwen
    11.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ceridwen - how did they turn out? Can I ask why you use agave nectar? Where to you get your carob from?

Decided in the end to get some lollypop moulds and now planning to try them out. Agave nectar - as its one of the substitutes I use for sugar (healthier!).

Carob - from health food stores.

HTH
  • katholicoskatholicos Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Thriftlady wrote: »
    I got it from Lakeland a few years ago, but typicallly they don't stock them anymore. I tracked them down here. You can buy sticks from Lakeland.

They seem to have the same thing, or something rather similar available on Amazon.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • DustykittenDustykitten Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Decided in the end to get some lollypop moulds and now planning to try them out. Agave nectar - as its one of the substitutes I use for sugar (healthier!).

Have you read about it?

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair