PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2011 at 10:56PM
    Options
    Kittikins, this is a luscious recette for carottes rap!es, which I love:
    http://www.750g.com/recettes_carottes_rapees.htm
    [I love celeriac too]

CCP-you are majorly entitled to a grump re: peeling lump from nail. I do this too and it annoys me much.

Posting twice in a day? - and not a glorious one again[solidarity with the sorority]BUT:
    1. Drenched - but did dump run and horrible unload of messy, laden trailer. Man helped eventually, because they wanted to close the yard and I was taking a long time. It's done! It's done!
    2. Printed a few pix to enclose with cards and somethings to Uncle and cousin in NZ. Had to change 2 ink cartridges, fiddly faddly, but we are all having these hiccupy progresses atm, it seems. The thing is to persist. POSTED THEM!
    3. Dropped goody-ish bag off to L. in next village en route back and stopped at their Co-op on a whim, to check price of dessicated coconut. I've finished mine this week and gaped in disbelief at Mr T's 150gm Whitworth's[only one there], now £1.59, when last pkt was 95p. In Co-op , I found 200gm packs at 90p - bought 4.
    4. Down thundered the rain again and the wind went crazy - about 17h. From kitchen, I watched many birds, grateful for extra seeds and nuts which I'd just cast around in a lull.
    5. Also wedged guttering back up to fill rain butt using a champagne cork, which pleases me. It has a certain style........
    6. Hearing Geoffrey Boycott waxing eloquent with pork pie memories. Not my truc, but he and Aggers were in decent form on this one. By their a/c, it will be worth looking out for a Youtube of the toss today, during which a vicious downpour, 'horizontal' said Aggers, drove in under their umbrella, at which everyone walked/ran off and play proceeded to not start for hours.
    7. French Open tennis. Rafa is through. A.Murray is...just...again. It's coming up to one of my Busy Times Of Sporting Year. Wimbledon next.
    8. Decided, post-mucky job done, trailer unhitched etc, to cook a lamb roast.
    Have enjoyed it, with garlicky beans and onions, roasted beetroot. Rather lush. But such meals do miss a.n.other, mutual chat and the tink of glass....mustn't go there.

Bonne nuit . . .hwb, tea, books, radio, maybe tv on putah. Feels like comfort zone time.
    Wishing the same, own version, to everyone.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yum to both recipes :) Thank you both x
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all,

Hope you are all well. Had a relativey good day... though had several potential suppliers meetings which were rather annoying... two were particularly annoying... the first was a nice chap who brought a consulant with him who he obviously was paying to help win nw business. Pity the consultant was a right twerp who added nothing to the guy's presentation and the other being another supplier who kept refering to us as "gents". I had a particularly tight jumper on today so there was no mistaking me for a man, even though I do have short hair! GRRRR!!!!

Ampersand - I realised that I have aready read Secret Life of Bees!

Anyway...

1) Lunch on expenses at the V&A Museum

2) Went back to the library to return Secret Life of Bees... I then picked up another 8 books!

3) Booked train tickets for my mum and me to go to Cornwall next month. They were a lot cheaper than I expected... even though I spent about an hour trying to get the 90% saving from Southern Railway which wasn't even applicable to the route I wanted!

4) Soup for supper from the freezer

5) Lovely soaking rain for the garden.

6) I'M ON HOLIDAY!!!!! Woohoo! I am off to the Czech Republic tomorrow morning for 5 days.

Night night all... sleep well and have a great bank holiday

L
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • Tealady_2
    Tealady_2 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Evening

Pleasures for today:
    1. Extra 10 minutes in bed this morning but still managed to get everyone out of the door with packed lunch and breakfast
    2. Cheats dinner tonight of takeaway but used some luncheon vouchers earned from surveys so really a free dinner :money:
    3. Booked tickets to see Lord of the Flies with DD at the Regents Park Open Air Theatre in a couple of weeks. She is studying this at school at the moment so seemed like a good idea and the tickets were not too expensive. We are in the very back row but the theatre is very small so doesn't really matter where you sit.
    4. Lovely soak in the bath tonight. OH was having a strop so seemed the perfect place to be. Read some of my book and left him to it ;)
    5. Another £5 of Tesco clubcard vouchers which I wasn't expecting. They are from the purchasing of my new washing machine that was paid for using clubcard vouchers. Plus my account has been credited with another 500 as there was a problem with the machine they delivered and it was replaced with another one:money:

Hugs to all who need them and glad to hear everyone seems to have had a better day today. Ladyhawk - have a great holiday
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,168 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2011 at 11:07PM
    Options
    I'm in bed! I haven't been to bed before midnight since before I left my parents' (1993)! :-D

Anyway, today could have been a terribly tiring, stressful day. Well, I suppose it was, but somehow it didn't seem *too* bad and it all turned out OK in the end...

So here's my 5 pleasures:

1) OH's 4th son went into hospital overnight in case he had appendicitis. A pleasure that he did not and came home this afternoon.

2) Stress point could have been sorting out 3 of OH's boys and my 2 this morning. (OH was in hospital with son 4). I don't do early starts so was a little startled to find myself in OH's kitchen at 7 something making bacon sandwiches! Got his on the bus for 8 then drove mine to school - before the gate was unlocked at 8.30!!!! We have NEVER got there before 8.40 in 6 years!

3) Went to mum and dad's for lunch and got their house insurance down from the £460 quote from their existing provider to £158 with a different company.

4) Smaller son had Star of the Morning and Star of the Afternoon stickers. :-)

5) Had tea at OH's.

6) Went swimming with my sons and OH's sons 3 and 5. And my brother.

7) Had a lovely chat with OH but he won't be coming round at his usual late hour because we will both be asleep after the hospital episode last night.

Sounds like everyone has had a better day. :-)

8) Just remembered all the bits I need to repair the wood burning stove came through the post! It has been on pretty much continually since October so will be treated to new firebricks and a new baffle (the heat shield thing that stops the flames and heat going straight up the chimney).
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had a rubbish day, felt very low. Not sure why, i am off on holiday on Saturday but i don't want to go. We are going to France which i love and know i should be grateful for but going with MIL and SIL who have been not getting along well lately (lost BIL last year and so both are suffering but in different ways) SIL's 2 kids who used to be nightmares but are much better now (since their father's death, unfortunately. He was severly mentally ill and caused a lot of stress and worry in the house, not that it's good he's gone) OH and i feel like we are taking 6 children on holiday aged from 7 to 79! And the best behaved are our own! Added to that I am still up to my neck in marking and will probably have to take it with me (still might get me away from MIL for a bit "Sorry can't come shopping HAVE to get on with this marking" :rotfl:)

Sorry, i know this thread isn't for that, just had to let it out!
    So to drag 5 up for today

1. Venting about MIL on MSE forum :rotfl:
    2. Bought a new top from White Stuff, not really very MSE but i did pay for most of it with a voucher i got for Christmas. Could have spent A LOT more.
    3. Some bargains from Primark, things we needed (new sheets etc) that were a song
    4. Some stuff i bought from ebay arrived - again new clothes for a bargain.
    and finally one that doesn't involve spending
    5. ermmmm ermmmm hmmm "think, think, think" (feel like Winnie the Pooh - a bear of little brain) ooh I know, watched a programme about the carpenters, not at all trendy but i love Karen Carpenter's voice. So sad.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 May 2011 at 1:48AM
    Options
    I can't be posting 3 times in a day, but I am because I just arose from mon lit to turn this THAIINNNGGGGG off,.....and, like VJsmum[added to fact that it seems I spy another francophile-always a pleasure:D]
    1.... after watching The Carpenters' Story, vaguely thinking it would be about carpenters and unintrusive as I read. It was good and yes, I still have the records. As for 'OH and i feel like we are taking 6 children on holiday aged from 7 to 79! ' and 'Sorry, i know this thread isn't for that, just had to let it out!' - that's exactly what this Thread IS for....absolutely qualifies as an OS pleasure.
    And unfinished marking IS the perfect excuse.
    2. So pleased to note your no.7 Frith. AND another insurance triumph with your no. 3. You DEFINITELY have to do all of ours now.
    3. Tealady's no. 4.
    4. Ladyhawk - have a wonderful holiday. We'd better just say it was prob.moi who foisted a copy of TSLOB onto you ages ago.... Try Louise Penny if you can find her.
    5. 'The Gournet', Muriel Barbery...I return to this because I cannot do otherwise. I am now trying to slow down with it, because it is a glorious, sublime, almost gustatory read, a total celebratory feast of language and thought. I need to own this one, if a book can ever be owned. But my Grayson Perry and The House both arrived today also.
    6. Anticipating these, as I waited for kettle to boil earlier, unbidden thoughts popped up. 'I am warm because I have my cardigan fresh, clean, smelling sweet from the airing cupboard; I have eaten well; I am looking outside at cold and wet, gloom and grey, while I am indoors; I am about to turn on the tap and hot water will come out.' It was sudden, simple, ordinary. I loathe enounced piety, maudln/false sentiment, but this didn't feel that way.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good to hear that today was better for most :)
    VJsmum hoping you can find a silver lining on your holiday, even if it's only finding some peace and quiet to do your marking - or piece of quiet as DD used to say :D
    Ladyhawk have a super time :)
    ampersand the rain certainly took me by surprise, had to think what it was for a moment!

1. nsd
    2. Friend had to cancel lunch as she's unwell but sent her son with the casserole she'd made. There's enough for dinner tomorrow also :)
    3. Tidied both chests of drawers, found I have 8 pairs of jimmies (3 silk pairs my dear friend had made for me in HK) and 5 nightshirts. I won't have to buy any more for years!
    4. Lost 1lb this week :D. Been trying so hard for months to get to 11st before I go away but I only have another 8 days so not looking too hopeful, but at least it's going in the right direction :)
    5. The rain. At last! 8 weeks without any, so good to see the butt fill up but I'm still saving grey water in case the downpour was just a hiccup!
    6. Postie brought me a sample of moisturiser, a brand I like but can't afford
    7. A survey site notified me my Paypal a/c has been credited with £8. More in the Christmas pressie fund :D

Night night, sweet dreams
    S x
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VJsmum - hope you don't have to stretch the marking out all week just too get a small amount of peace.

1. I received £3 for survey site.

2. Went to pilates and worked hard but makes me feel better after.

3. Had a swim outside managed to miss the rain.

4. Had LO salad for tea while DH and DS2 had YS steak which DS2 cooked.

5. Sorted out my earrings and realised I had more pairs than I thought! I can now start wearing different ones.

6. Also walked my dog in the dry and was really warm in the afternoon.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hello! Friday evening here! woohoo!

1.Hurrah for the end of the working week! My first full weeks work since last September! The week has improved as it has went on and I feel more confident in what I'm doing! A really nice team of work colleagues...all early 20's! Young things.....at 42 that just seems so long ago! And I don't think I'm old! I'm just used to working with people of a similar age.

2.Was a nice mummy & picked up all kids en route home! We had a mad dash for Dr's appointments & then DD2 had a party to go to.

3. GP was very nice and funny, so the girls liked him. My DD2 was shocked that it was a man, as our GP back home was a lady .Such a different system to UK!

4.Did my Aldi shop & was less than usual.....could that be because I didn't have a husband putting extra things in trolley?

5. Pizza Hut takeaway special offer for tea, 4 pizzas for $18 which is about 11.50 GBP, which was less than 3GBP each. Nice just to sit & eat without making it! I'm sure I could have made them much cheaper, however.......it's Friday!

DD2 is at a party from 5-9.30pm........was hoping to have been in PJ's by then! I'm looking forward to the weekend, nothing planned but will be nice not to have to get up to early..though will probably wake up early anyway. Enjoy your day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure