PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all.

sparrer - you have my sympathy over the burger - is there anything more tempting when you're hungry than the smell of frying onions? There's a burger van in Portsmouth city centre and it always lures me as I walk past, but I've never quite given in as I know it'll taste exactly as bad as you describe. _pale_

My pleasures for the past couple of days (as I decided to take an evening off from the pooter last night):

Yesterday:
    1) Friday. :j
    2) More of my spicy carrot salad for lunch and it was even nicer after a night in the fridge.
    3) Found a couple of interesting-looking books in a local charity shop.
    4) Sausage sarnie for dinner - naughty, but so nice. :drool:
    5) Lazy evening with a couple of glasses of wine and one of my new books.

Today:
    1) Popped in to the stall I volunteer at and came away with a couple of aubergines that were too squishy to sell but will be fine for cooking with (as long as I do so quickly, anyway ;)).
    2) Made a variation on baba ganoush with the squishier aubergine, which will be nice for lunches this week. (The other one will now be dinner on Monday - aubergine parmigiana. :drool:)
    3) More cuddles with Somersault, the cute calico cat. I now know here real name as I got a look at her collar - I won't put it on here for obvious reasons, but my first, second and third thoughts were "poor cat!".
    4) Picked up a couple of interesting plants RTC - I really should steer clear of B&Q as I almost always find something interesting and cheap to bring home. :o
    5) Lamb stew for dinner with another glass or two of wine. :)
    6) Footie on the television later. :footie:

I'm not sure if I'll be around at all tomorrow as I've been talked into running the stall I usually help at as a volunteer, as one of the stall holders is ill and can't make it. I confess I'm very nervous about it - I'm not completely sure what I'm doing as I've only been there once, and now I'm being left in charge. :eek: Wish me luck!

Have a lovely evening, all.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CCP - good luck being the "boss" at the stall tomorrow :)

I'm still feeling a bit bleugh, but things are sinking in and my practical head is taking over; changes in diet, possible house-move, and lots of exercise to prolong the life of the joint if I can

1. DD has been projectile vomiting since midnight but seems to have calmed down at last; certainly put my self-pitying into perspective ;) and she is a very good patient :)
    2. Even though I've had to do about 5 loads of washing, the machine has stood up to the challenge and thankfully most things were nearly dry after being on the line, I just finished them off quickly in the tumble drier!
    3. NSD
    4. NPD
    5. The prospect of getting into a nice fresh bed tonight
    6. Baked potatoes for dinner, nomnomnom
    7. Lovely PMs from MSErs, thank you cherubs xx
    8. It hasn't rained, really pleased as I had so much washing on the line earlier, don't mind if it does tonight!
    9. Nice texts, chats and FB natter with OH - shame he can't come over tonight as I don't want him to catch any bugs :( Really glad we saw each other for a bit yesterday, like to make the most of the opportunities :)
    10. Had a quick chat with a very spiritual friend on FB, and she's going to be thinking of me and has made some suggestions for foods that might help my bones
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Here's some pleasures for today:

1. Made a "rally meal" (one pot that can easily be reheated in one saucepan while camping) of lamb braised in red wine and garlic with potatoes and other veg. DH has complained that the house smells of "slow cooker" so I probably won't use it again, but at least the lamb dish is nice.
    2. Getting out into the garden to weed the borders.
    3. Noticing the carrots I'm growing look to be forming nicely and the feathery leaves are beginning to form.
    4. Planted some broccoli seeds in a tub, so hopefully they'll grow.
    5. Another workout. I'm using My Fitness Coach on the Wii (not strictly OS, I know ;) ) and have been tracking my progress. Have lost at least an inch off of most places, so am chuffed. :)

Hope everyone has a nice evening.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hello lovely people.

1. Walked the longest distance that I have tackled in some years yesterday - I used to walk 30 miles a week, now, post-arthritis, my total distance yesterday was about a mile. I felt fine today, and my arthritic hip/leg (which is also affected by cerebral palsy) felt stronger. I'm hopeful I will feel able to tackle the hill up to Durham Cathedral again. There's a bus up there, but nothing beats walking up onto the Green and having the Cathedral suddenly there before you.

2. Mr T. sent me a '£1 off' voucher for a product I wanted - which was on offer at £1! Free product!

3. Got some Borax yesterday to have a go at laundry gloop - will do this as soon as I've saved up enough milk containers to pour the gloop into.

4. Free toiletries in the post x 2 and free body lotion on the way from a survey product trial. I always wondered how people got to try things out for free and now I'm one of them.

5. Saw colleagues that I haven't seen in a long time yesterday - all lovely people.

6. Sending my sister a play on CD from Amazon that I knew she would enjoy.

7. Steak and new potatoes for tea. Yum.

8. Realising this week that I am not developing IBS, as I feared - but that I was simply stressing my tummy by giving it too much food and it couldn't cope, it 'dumped' the contents rapidly! (Sorry if that was TMI).
    I've switched to much smaller meals and my tummy is happy. It's perfectly obvious that having switched to a more sedentary life that I need less food - well, it's obvious now!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hiya,

My five for Saturday:

1. Got the DSs to keep going with trying to get on top of their backlogs of washing and, in between showers, I managed to get most of it line dried and quite a bit ironed and aired.

2. Heavily veg-packed (even hid cabbage in it :D) vegetarian tikka, hardboiled eggs and rice, then apple pie and custard for supper. I'm really struggling to get enough calories into my DSs at the moment - I have the opposite problem so didn't have pud - but they both ate everything tonight and said they were full. DS2 will be down shortly for cereal, I know it!

3. Nice trip to Lakeland to return two 'store and save' clip shut boxes that wouldn't. They kept unclipping themselves when nobody was touching them and it looked very silly, as if they were haunted.:D True to form, LL sorted the replacements for free, I had a good look around but didn't buy anything.

4. Oh I forgot, DS1 and I also had the asparagus (that I meant to have the other day for lunch) as a starter this evening. I never buy it but it was in the vegbox this week so was a real treat.

5. Starting to see the space growing around us again as the decluttering and tidying is slowly taking hold. I must, must, must keep going with it. It's working and it makes me feel so much better.

Sweet dreams
    B x
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2011 at 6:43AM
    Options
    HELLO!

It's half term, hooray!

Friday

1. Half term!
    2. DD didn't want to go to swimming, so got a lie in.
    3. Daughter and son on study leave, so they are happy too!
    4. A quiet evening.
    5. Planning an OS week off.

Saturday

1. Took DD to early morning training. Nice to see the swimming mums.
    2. Managed to half the total of my shopping in Mr T with BOGOF and coupons. Always satisfying.
    3. Wandered around town this afternoon with DH. Used the last of our BHS restaurant vouchers for BOGOF lunch and free bakery, and bought BOGOF Panini to take home for lunch on Sunday. :money:Took some stuff back to H&M for a refund, and mooched in the market. (Got a Paul Young singles CD :o, a necklace and a BNWT cardigan from the secondhand stall, all for £3.50). So, I think it was actually a money neutral afternoon!
    4. Watching Dr Who with DH and DS2. It's nice that he likes to sit with us. His brother and sister always prefer to be in their own rooms if they are actually at home! :rotfl:
    5. DD's DVD of the British Championships has arrived. I am a very proud mummy.

Missed you all!

HE X

PS McCulloch I find the gloop I make is better in a bucket as it it more like blancmange than laundry liquid! You may have difficulty getting it back out of a milk carton.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My five are

1. Meeting with a friend and having a catch up.

2. Seeing another friend who I hadn't seen for ages and had a catch up.

3. Spoke to a collegue who sounded slightly happier as I was really worried about her.

4. HM lasagna for tea.

5. Did some baking - twinks hobnobs and choc chip muffins.

6. Spent £30 book vouchers wisely on some really good deals.
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Always read so thought I should try and post x

1. Picked my first three sweet pea blooms of the season and they smell divine. I have them by my chair.
    2. Having no problems returning faulty towels. I always have to psych myself up and expect trouble, even when it's obvious!
    3. Inspecting my vegetables and anticipating a partly home-grown salad for my lunch today.
    4. Putting the finishing touches to my garden retreat (a garden summerhouse type thing). It looks lovely in there now. There is a family rule and that is no arguments are allowed in there.
    5. Going back to bed for a much needed snooze and not feeling rushed or guilty as there is another day (Bank holiday) to sort out the washing and ironing:T:T:T
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Tealady_2
    Tealady_2 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Pleasures for yesterday:
    1. Went to a food festival at Hampton Court with MIL & SIL. We had a great day and tried lots of different food and drink.
    2. Got the bus there and back without any problems and gave us more time to chat
    3. Bought FIL fathers day present there, he is very hard to find something for so very pleased that I managed and it was reasonably priced
    4. Easy dinner of cheesy beans on toast
    5. Little snooze when I got home

Hugs to all who need them
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    house_elf wrote: »

PS McCulloch I find the gloop I make is better in a bucket as it it more like blancmange than laundry liquid! You may have difficulty getting it back out of a milk carton.

Thanks House Elf! Will post my joys later.... and look for a spare bucket with lid....
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure