PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 December 2009 at 10:59PM
    Options
    Hi all on Christmas Eve and just before going to bed - I could not go to sleep without popping in and giving everybody my best wishes for a lovely Christmas!

Kiwiblue, if I was not terrified of flying I would take you on now on the swap!

Ollie, the shortage of candles was definitely one of these H&S things, but it was very minor compared to the pleasure that the evening gave us. Thanks for your good wishes for our little holiday coming up!

Sparrer, I hope that you DM gets better soon!

Here are mine for the day:

1 - First thing in the morning a friend of mine popped in for a second, just to give DH a present for me, which was not wrapped so I could see what it was, a beautiful calendar that she had bought me in Ireland, with beautiful pictures of women in black and white, with a pink ornament in each picture, in aid of an Irish Breast Cancer Charity.

2 - Breakfast in bed courtesy of DH, and very transgressive too: eggy bread! - I decided I am breaking the vegan habit until after Christmas as it is too difficult to resist all the temptations. Will try to stick to dairy-free as much as possible but not going to be too strict until after the holiday.

3 - Overall a very good day, DH, DD and DS very helpful around the house and we managed to tidy up and get the place reasonably presentable for Christmas.

4 - DH went to return something in B&Q and managed to get a full refund.

5 - My friend gave me some holly and ivy from her garden and I made my usual wreath that I make every year, but because the holly has some very beautiful berries on I decided not to use any coloured ribbons and instead left it entirely natural. It looks very good hanging on our front door.

6 - Went with DH to M&S for last minute shopping and found all the stuff I needed covered with yellow stickers. I also used the £5 off a £30 spend, calculated the shopping cost very carefully and came back with a trolleyful of stuff for £25.89 - RESULT!

7 - DD helped me wrap all the presents (except for hers), we put a classical Christmas carol CD, she brought two small glasses of port upstairs in my bedroom and we did all the wrapping together. Loads of fun (and I normally don't even drink alcohol!)

8 - Yesterday I hurt my finger quite badly (a bottle fell on it when I opened a cupboard) and I thought it was broken - but this morning even if it is quite bruised there is very little pain and it is definitely not broken because I can move it quite well. Thanks goodness, as it is the middle finger of my right hand, I would have been quite incapacitated if it had been broken!

A very happy Christmas to all of you, see you tomorrow to exchange details of all the gifts we get!

xxx
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • bunny_too
    Options
    Evening to all my mse chums, no 5 for today, just popped in to wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS,:xmassign::xmassign::xmassign::xmassign:

thinking of you all:A, big and wee hugs to all who need them.

Wish we all lived in a small village, and could get together for a for a few hours,:rotfl: in my dreams ah!

Love cuddles and copious amounts of hugs and kisses xx Pop in tomorrow .
  • nic1lou2
    Options
    Just popped in to say hope you all have a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Love to all in this lovely caring community

xxx
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"
    :D Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!:D
    Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!
  • Tealady_2
    Tealady_2 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Happy Christmas everyone,

my five for yesterday/ today:
    1. Unplanned girly night with DD - we went for pizza and to the cinema to see Nativity. We had a lovely night out together and was very MSE as did on Orange Wednesday for Meal and film.
    2. Lovely lazy day today as have finished work and all the Christmas presents are wrapped. No meals to cook tomorrow as out with the in laws
    3. Doing santa watch with DD on NORAD even though she is too old for it now, we still enjoyed watching where he was.
    4. I got another present off my old boss - His wife makes beautiful jewellery and it looks like one her boxes so can't wait to open it.
    5. Getting paid yesterday and not having to spend any of it on Christmas as I usually do because this year its all done:T

Hope you all have a lovely christmas and hugs to all who need them
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bunny too, great minds about the get together. My children will have gone to bed by midnight and I will still be up. I'm going to light a candle at midnight and if anyone else would like to join me for 10 minutes welcoming in Christmas in peaceful, quiet, OS candlelight, in whatever way that means something special to you, that would be lovely.

I also wanted to post something else that I have just rediscovered. Oliver Postgate (of Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Bagpuss etc fame) died just over a year ago. He wrote a poem that was published in the New Statesman as a Christmas message in 2006. I hope I’m not infringing copyright by copying it here, but I think it is a wonderful pleasure all by itself and I love it for it’s simplicity and its rightness.
    GREETING

I will not lumber you with love,
    nor climb on you to measure you for sins,
    nor wipe you over with forgivenesses,
    nor kick your shins,

I know your eyes do not see out of mine
    nor are your tears the tears I shed
    but I don’t care.
    For I will take your hand and make a place for you
    because you’re there.

Not for some complicated ploy
    of pity, piety, or private greeds,
    but for an older, simpler joy
    that, nothing wanting, nothing needs,
    except to live.

For, as I see you feel the rain and breathe the air,
    so just to know the sun that shines on you
    shines on me too
    confirms the sunshine, makes it sure.

Tells us we live, are there,
    that now will do and asks no more.

Oliver Postgate 1979
    I will post my official 'five for Thursday' later on.

B xxx
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    1) Going out in the falling snow to the allotment and finding four enormous parsnips, some sprouts and a couple of swedes. I walked home across the school field, which was untouched, and got home before DS got up.
    2) The Christingle Service - candles, community getting together and DS and DD sang.
    3) The baking came in useful again. DD's bf and his family called in for a cuppa after church. The bf's Mum had baked me a special gluten free Lemon Drizzle cake so we had to test that too. It was lovely.
    4) Went out for a meal with DH whilst DD and DS were at a party. It was not very OS but we enjoyed some quality time.
    5) Finished the evening by simply loafing around and watching tv together. Looking forward to a peaceful day tomorrow.

A merry Christmas to you all. I've loved reading through your posts this year and it's really got us working on our finances. I wish you a peaceful and prosperous New Year. PQ
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My five for Thursday:

1. The candlelight just now. (((Hugs))) sent to all that want or need them.

2. Walking into town at lunchtime because I needed a few tiny things. I just enjoyed the outdoors and popping into our local sewing and wool shop - very OS, useful things for sale.

3. Delivered prezzies to my parents and enjoyed a cuppa with them. As usual on Christmas Eve, they sent us home with a bag of treatsy edible bits and pieces, a kind of hamper in a paper carrier :D.

4. Cancelled the plan for a more complicated supper, defrosted some HM veggie soup from the fridge and made a start on eating some of the Christmas bits and pieces - well why wait?! :rolleyes:

5. Feeling very thankful for this particular thread. It keeps me focussed on what is important.

Sweet dreams and Happy Christmas.

B xxx
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 December 2009 at 4:02AM
    Options
    :AA Very Merry Christmas Everyone :A

Went to midnight service, got back, lit a candle, thought of family, friends far away, those less well off, our servicemen abroad, broomstick and everyone here, and then opened my pressies...couldn't wait another minute!

A huge thank you to everyone who thought of my DM, she's feeling a lot better though still not up to travelling, so I'll go down to see her in a few days. Sadly with copd I daren't risk getting her flu or d & v, or I'd have gone today. Thanks also for all the kind thoughts of my being 'home alone' today, as you'll see below things have changed..

1. DD phoned to ask me to go there for Christmas Day :D. Traditionally they have this one day a year when it's just DD, DSiL and the GC, which is why I didn't mention anything, but someone did...and I think I know who!

2. The big box was the slow cooker I'd hoped for. Lucky me!:T

3. My :Aof a neighbour bought me an electric drill - I lost all my power tools in the gale which blew the roof of my shed off and everything got soaked. Lucky, lucky me!!:j

4. I got some sets of smellies which unfortunately I can't use as I'm allergic to just about everything with perfume so I have a good start to next years giving. I keep a book so I know who gave what, a mistake doesn't bear thinking about :rolleyes:

5. Looked around me this afternoon and thanked God that I have a warm, comfortable home, a freezer full of food, such thoughtful family and friends and live in a safe country where I can to do the simplest things like going shopping without the danger of being shot at or blown up.

Night night, sleep tight or Santa won't come! And have a wonderful day,
    S x
  • bunny_too
    Options
    Happy Christmas :xmassmile morning everyone, my 5 for today are.

1. Bacon butties and bucks fizz for breakfast. Bliss......:drool:

2. Great pressies from everyone, too many to list. I'll mention my fav one the beautiful hand made crochet choc covers in the shape of xmas puddings... they will just look so so good on the xmas table. I was given a box for 12. They can be refilled and use again next year. Have been on the phone, to get the pattern to share with you all. Will take a photo and try to post it.:money:

3.Reading all the posts on here, and feeling so warm and happy inside.:A

4. Planning to borrow 2 tail wagers from my friend and heading to Tardree forest for a very long walk in the snow.

5. The Queen's speech at 3 o'clock. Wouldn't be Christmas Day without her.

Oh Broomstick what a great idea with the candle, now have another xmas tradition to follow, will light a candle next year at 12. I wish i had of seen your post earlier.
    Have a great os Christmas Day everyone, will pop in later to catch up with everyone. Hope Santa has been good to you all. Love BT xx:j
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't come online at all yesterday as I was busy but wanted to come on now to say:

A Very Merry Christmas To You All :xmastree:

Have a lovely day & special thoughts rae with thiose who can't be with their loved ones today for whatever reason.

With much love to you all & thanks for all the kindness, love & support that comes across in all of your posts. Have a lovely day.

Louise xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport