Forum Home» Money Saving Polls

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Karl let the neighbours use his garden? - Page 14

New Post Advanced Search

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Karl let the neighbours use his garden?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
145 replies 43.3K views

Replies

• lyndorsetlyndorset Forumite
    130 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Got to be no. Simply because it sets a precedent that eventually will give them a right to use the garden, or whever they sell to.

If he likes them he could invite them when he is there. Also explain to them why not!
  • TammerTammer Forumite
    380 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    No , he paid extra for his garden ,
    i was in this postion a few years ago , I was in a first floor flat and got a transfer to a 2 bed house with a garden ,
    the previous tenents were very good friends with the old man next doorwho had a small backyard and had a gate between the 2 gardens so he could pop in and out .
    As this very old man had guns in his house , locked up of course , i was'nt prepared for him to have access to mine ,
    i blocked it up and his carer complained to me about it , but i was within my rights to say no access .

If my neighbour has a gun and asks if he can use my garden, I'd probably be inclined to say yes.:rotfl:
  • This doesn't appear to be a moral dilemma as such. Legally, once completion has taken place, any previous occupants (including such as these neighbours) lose all rights to use the property (termed vacant possession) and Karl does not have to give a reason for not allowing them to use it. If they are still using it he should politely but firmly ask them to refrain from doing so.

As others have pointed out - did the previous owners really give such permission? Whilst it is good to give people the benefit of the doubt, there are plenty of folk who would try it on just to see what happened.

And, in response to harryhound's post (no.127) that a 'legal' owner would get notice after 10 years of someone else using their land that they were applying for adverse possession - sadly that doesn't always happen. I know this from my mum's experience over the last 4 years (she's lived in her house for 32 years and never stopped using the area in question) - she has just lost a legal battle to keep it in her ownership despite never having received just such notice. :mad: The neighbours didn't use it either, just want the right to remove the (raised) area to make a bigger parking space for themselves. :mad::mad::mad:
  • Unless he has no reservations at all, he MUST say no because allowing it to continued un-challenged sets a precedent and although neighbours may start off on good terms, this can change. It is always possible to then set new terms / conditions on the continued use possibly related to the cost & effort of maintenance.
  • icon1.gif
    6022tivo says: Its a YES as long as they fully maintain it.

I say: NO. NO. NO. If they maintain it, they will eventually take it over. When Karl wishes to hang out his clothes or entertain, he'll have to plead or pay them to use his [emphasis, HIS] garden.
    I personally like the view of my garden with nothing on it, not even clothes, let alone neighbours! No way.
    .. They need to dry clothes? Buy a clothes dryer or go to the local laundrette!!
  • This is up to Karl surely? They have been polite enough to ask, he must decide accordingly.
  • Sadly, Karl must make others aware that the garden is his. If he relents then he must clearly stipulate terms and conditions and ensure that health and safety issues are clear.
  • jonvenjonven Forumite
    598 posts
    I'd say yes if he wasn't using the garden himself that day, but ask beforehand
    Penny Pinching Pauline
  • I would say no, i wouldn't want to be in a situation where i went out to relax in my garden with some friends and they were there.

When we moved into our flat we were told that the garden is ours, our flat is above and behind a chemist (the garden, kitchen and conservetry being behind on the ground and everyone above on the first floor) They also said that the entrance to our house was private and only we had access.

I came home from work one day to a note stuck on the conservertory door from a girl in the chemist saying "The previous tenant used to let me park my bike in the allyway entrance, as when i left in on the road it got nicked. I assume this is still ok?"
    OH said no, mainly cause it was our private garden/allyway and how she just 'assumed it would be ok', and also cause when i eventually get bigger (pregnant) i wouldn't fit down the allyway past the bike (its a small allyway lol), and then we would never be able to get a pram past it in the future.
    He was also annoyed that she had went through the back door of the chemist to stick something on our door that could of gone through the letter box on the gate.

So Karl, Say no while you can! :D
    Wife, Mum, Fashion Student, Morrisons Worker
    2012: Clear CC, Clear Catalogue, Start Saving!
  • Tell them to get lost.
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.