Forum Home» Money Saving Polls

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Karl let the neighbours use his garden? - Page 12

New Post Advanced Search

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Karl let the neighbours use his garden?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
145 replies 43.3K views

Replies

• Tricky one, I'd say they can but they do the gardening or make a payment and its an agreement in writing renewed annually and he can withdraw if it doesn't work out.

I have a parking space and the cheeky neighbours use it, no one has asked. One day my friend parked there and she got a rude note saying "this is private parking and I am a GP", I wrote one back saying "its my space and so what if you're a GP which I doubt". I don't mind as I currently don't have a car, but legally if I sell will they be able to say anything - thinking of putting up a sign and writing to them saying something - can I legally charge them?
  • no, no, no
    Debt @ LBM 29/12/08 - £49044! Now £44684.
    Fat loss 29/85lbs // £100 into £10k £243.07/£10k
    HSBC Loan 9658 // HSBC CC 3484 // HSBC CC 1464 // DP's 779 // Car 0% 4851 // Halifax OD 1348 // HSBC OD 1.5k // HSBC OD 1k // Barclays OD 400 // IOMOM 4400 // S Loan 15k // Cap1 £800
  • Having lived next door to the neighbours from hell [in the past] I would say a definate no, otherwise his privacy is gone. Like all the others...what if they were there when he wanted to use it, plus what if they were out late in the summer nights with friends and he wanted peace, and what if they didnt clear up after themselves......plus why should they use his land,
  • stampede wrote: »
    There is an old expression that good fences make good neighbours ..I'm at a bit of a loss as to why the neighbours would need to use someone elses garden as there are always allocated garden areas and parking places in such situations. Maybe they just prefer and found Karl's area more convenient.

I have to disagree - there aren't always 'allocated garden areas' etc - it varies with each 'block'. Having worked at the Land Registry for over 20 years I know this far too well!:eek:
    ;)wend
  • saveralot wrote: »
    Tricky one, I'd say they can but they do the gardening or make a payment and its an agreement in writing renewed annually and he can withdraw if it doesn't work out.

I have a parking space and the cheeky neighbours use it, no one has asked. One day my friend parked there and she got a rude note saying "this is private parking and I am a GP", I wrote one back saying "its my space and so what if you're a GP which I doubt". I don't mind as I currently don't have a car, but legally if I sell will they be able to say anything - thinking of putting up a sign and writing to them saying something - can I legally charge them?

I'm sure there's a website where you can rent out your parking space, tell them you're planning to rent it to a random stranger unless they agree to rent it from you ;)
  • hmm... in this situation I think I would probably say no initially, but maybe when I'm on holiday...

on the other hand.... where I live now neighbours have been here over 20 years (I rent they own), have their own garden & an allotment etc so not after my space but they continue to keep an eye on my place as they have always done, I feel more secure knowing they would come to my aid if something happened, he had said to me that he'd come up with an idea to stop shed door banging & I was happy to agree that he could just jump over fence & sort it for me when he'd got hold of the appropriate bit he needed. He's also done some DIY bits for me, & I leave spare keys with them when I go on hols for emergencies - if I'd been rude when first moved in & they said they'd kept an eye on property while empty & would continue to keep eye for me then would prob have been v detrimental!
  • He has to say no, at least at the beginning. He can say no now, and change his mind later, but once he has yes he is stuck with it forever.
    I would suggest he says no for now, but if he doesn't mind a bit of sharing he can say he will look into the legal position and see what he can do about setting up some sort of agreement that does not transfer any rights. If they are keen, and amenable, they can help with the research and creating an agreement.
  • I like my privacy in my garden, so I would say no.

Even if I did not think I would mind, I would say no to start with then, once I have got to know them and if I feel they are ok, I would probably say I've had a re-think and dont mind them putting washing out when I am at work. So - Mon to Fri up to 3.00 p.m. Definitely wouldn't want them there in any way at the weekends, unless I was on holiday.
  • plimsoll wrote: »
    hmm... in this situation I think I would probably say no initially, but maybe when I'm on holiday...

on the other hand.... where I live now neighbours have been here over 20 years (I rent they own), have their own garden & an allotment etc so not after my space but they continue to keep an eye on my place as they have always done, I feel more secure knowing they would come to my aid if something happened, he had said to me that he'd come up with an idea to stop shed door banging & I was happy to agree that he could just jump over fence & sort it for me when he'd got hold of the appropriate bit he needed. He's also done some DIY bits for me, & I leave spare keys with them when I go on hols for emergencies - if I'd been rude when first moved in & they said they'd kept an eye on property while empty & would continue to keep eye for me then would prob have been v detrimental!

But the point is that he CAN say no without being rude - the neighbours are the ones being rude for not having the courtesy to ask first!
  • A.JonesA.Jones Forumite
    508 posts
    For me, it would be a no. This should have been declared by the previous owners as well. If they allowed other people to have regular access to the property, then it should have been in the information supplied to their solicitor who passes it to the buyer through their solicitor.