PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Scones..how can i get them to rise..

Options

Comments

• HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    Everything is getting more anglified now so maybe it isn't as widely used in all parts of Scotland now especially as less people probably have them and use them in their own homes but it certainly is here in the depths of Aberdeenshire. I would not generally use Scots words where I didn't think they would be understood but I rather forgot about girdle/griddle.:o

Where are you HJ out of interest?

West coast Argyll. ;)
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Always thought that the spelling was girdle, which we pronounce 'griddle'....thought that it was just an 'Hibernicism' or whatever is the correct term for the English words we change here to suit us....think it has more to do with accent than anything else. There again, I always thought that drop scones were a kind of thick pancake batter with raisins in, so I have learnt at least one thing to-day.

IMHO, the oven temperature is very important when baking scones...around 200c or a little less in a fan oven is what I use and I have never had a problem with lightness of my scones....have made them with plain flour and baking soda, self raising flour, with and without margarine/butter, with and without egg. Think that yogurt is probably a good idea to help lightness.

Good baking
    Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • saving-grace
    Options
    'Girdle ' scones didn't sound odd to me. I thought at first it was because I've lived in Scotland for so long - then I had an idea that I'd seen them in the Bero book. Went to check and yes the Bero book talks about "Baking With A Girdle" "Girdle Scones" and"Welsh Girdle Cakes"

BTW poodlehorse Delia says the dough for a perfect scone should not be rolled less than 2cm and that this is often what people do wrong, they roll them too thinly.
    (and Delia has a recipe for wholewheat girdle cakes!)
  • Bobbykins
    Bobbykins Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahhhh, yes but, Saving-grace - forgive me if I'm wrong, (I still work on imperial measurements) but isn't 2cm only about 1 inch? If so, then I think that's still a bit too thin.

I tried for YEARS to make good scones and failed until I checked in my ancient "good Housekeeping" book which said, as someone else has mentioned, about handling the dough as little as possible. It also suggested mixing very quickly, tipping out onto a floured surface, and kneading very quickly, just with the fingertips, to get a smooth-ish dough.

That's what I do now, and roll out very gently to about 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick.......amazingly, I can suddenly make good scones!
  • Old_Meanie
    Options
    Hello Poodlehorse

I was talking over this problem with my mother (I am 62 and she is 89!). We agreed the basic recipe: 8 ozs SR flour 2 oz butter 2 oz sugar 1 egg beaten into enough milk to make a quarter of a pint of liquid. I use my food processor and rub fat into flour then add sugar then add liquid. The mixture should be handled as little as possible and rolled very lightly to about 1" thick. Put on baking sheet (container must not have sides to avoid scones "steaming". Place in hot oven at least 200 degrees Cent. and cook for only about 10 minutes until golden brown. You can add baking powder but I dont as I hate the taste and sometimes I add 2 eggs to make very rich scones but liquid should always be quarter pint to 8 ozs flour. This quantity will not make many scones so avoid rolling too thin and as has been said above you can just make a "scone round". For fruit add 2 ozs fruit for cheese 1 oz cheese and I sometimes put in bits of bacon. The variations are endless.

HTH
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    meanmarie wrote: »
    There again, I always thought that drop scones were a kind of thick pancake batter with raisins in, so I have learnt at least one thing
    what I know as drop/girdle scones are a thick pancake, sometimes with raisins, sometimes without ... lovely buttered :)
  • ashlea170706
    Options
    im thinkin of makin some scones today but i want to make individual ones as i got recipe of here and it said put mix in one tin and divide i just want normal round ones! how do i do this? and how much mix do i use for each one? has smeone got any tips please?thanks ash x
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    roll your scone dough out to about three quarters of an inch thick then cut it into circles (i read on here dont twist your cutter as it stops them rising so well) i use a striaght sided glass instead of a cutter. then just put them on a baking tray and bake for about 10 mins

i used the lemonade recipie that was posted on here to make some and they were the lightest scones i have ever made, will definately use that method again its so easy.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You just roll the dough out -about 2cm thick and cut into rounds. Use a glass to cut if you don't have a cutter.
  • ashlea170706
    Options
    sorry what lemonade recipe is that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills