PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Scones..how can i get them to rise..

Options

Comments

• Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Nope I MEAN girdle because I am Scottish and that is the word we use therefore we make girdle scones although I have not attempted them yet this is what you would see written in the bakers or indeed on supermarket girdle scones so I honestly haven't just made it up to sound kinky. Sorry for the confusion.:p
    lol, definiltely no kinkiness up here :D I've always known it as a girdle too :)
  • poodlehorse
    Options
    I've lived in Scotland for 15 years and never noticed. :o
    Everything is getting more anglified now so maybe it isn't as widely used in all parts of Scotland now especially as less people probably have them and use them in their own homes but it certainly is here in the depths of Aberdeenshire. I would not generally use Scots words where I didn't think they would be understood but I rather forgot about girdle/griddle.:o

Where are you HJ out of interest?
  • poodlehorse
    Options
    Swan wrote: »
    lol, definiltely no kinkiness up here :D I've always known it as a girdle too :)
    Oh thank God!!!:D I was starting to feel like I was making it up!!:T
  • Swan_2
    Options
    [FONT=arial unicode MS, Everson Mono Unicode, Lucida Sans Unicode, Unicode]from Dictionary of the Scots Language ...

GIRDLE
    , n. A met. form of Eng. griddle, a circular iron plate with hooped handle, suspended or placed over the fire and used for baking scones, oat-cakes, etc. Gen.Sc. Common also in n.Eng., Som. & Dev. dial. Also girdel, †girdill (Ayr. 1744 Sc. Journal (1848) I. 334) and reduced form girl(e)Poems II., Gl. 174; ‡Cai.7 1954). Also used attrib. Hence girdleful, as much as a girdle will hold. (Rnf. 1813 E. Picken
    [/FONT]
  • anniewoo
    anniewoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    I usually add a beaten egg to my scone mixture and then use less milk to mix.I never have problems with my scones rising,they are the one thing I make that always turns out perfectly.

A lot of recipes don't include an egg,but my Mum always put one in her scones and so do I.

I also don't mess around with cutters,I just shape the mixture into a rectangle,about 1" deep and then cut it in to 6 pieces with a knife.This means you have square scones instead of round ones of course,but they still taste the same.
  • trigger2
    trigger2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    I have to confess I've never heard of girdle scones either, (I'm in Fife). However I am originally from the south, so who knows ! Anyback back to scones (or scoans !) mine never seem to rise much either, I think I roll them out too thin, mind you they always get eaten !! ;)
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    We do have griddle scones here in NI but I have to admit I have no idea what they are :)

I wonder if it's worth checking the fat you're using too. If you're using margerine with a lower fat content this can make it a bit crumbly I think??

I always use an egg/milk mix too btw and if I fancy the scones being richer I use two eggs and just reduce the amount of milk accordingly.
  • Swan_2
    Options
    trigger2 wrote: »
    I have to confess I've never heard of girdle scones either, (I'm in Fife). However I am originally from the south, so who knows !
    you might know them as drop scones? :)
  • trigger2
    trigger2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Ah drop scones now I get it ;) Yummy, I made them the other day, might do again tonight now I think of it :j
    Regards
    Trigger
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We always called drop scones girdle scones at home (in fact we talked about griddle scones, but were told that the spelling was girdle), and none of my family has any connection to Scotland at all! My Mum's Mum was Lancashire born and bred, so I don't know if it is from there, but some old cook books talk about girdle scones, even though they tell you too make them on a griddle, so I think that maybe it is a dialect word that's lasted longer in Scotland.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure