please recommend a broadband?

I moved house the 4th of sept, and had to have a new line put in, I chose to go with talktalk as me and bt, well we dont get on you could say. Big mistake, it took them till 6th october to put a line in...and I am still waiting for broadband. I finally had a letter saying the 12th of november! Whilst i cant get out of my contract with them now, for the phone and line, I can for the broadband. Call me impatient if you want, but i work from home, and upload/download a lot, this dial up is driving me demented. I am looking for a broadband that wont take a millenium to set up and doesnt cost more than £15 a month, what I would have been paying talk talk.
:starmod:Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1189:starmod:

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What exchange and tariff are you on? TT broadband on the Essentials package is £6.49 incl. basic call package on an LLU exchange, plus £11.25 line rental. Broadband alone should not be £14 even if it's not LLU.
    Unfortunately if your phone line rental is now LLU with TalkTalk you may not be able to get broadband from another ISP, you would have to return to BT first for line rental, which in turn would involve a large early termination bill from TT
    If you have already ordered broadband from TT, how can you get out of the contract?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mumslave
    mumslave Posts: 7,531 Forumite
    I am with mytalktalk package with them in which it tells me I have £15 broadband and £11.25 monthly line rental along with the £4.00 booster for half price mobile calls. Because i didnt take out the package they offer that is £6.49 for all, it wasnt available in my area, I am able to keep the line and the calls package, but cancel the broadband as it comes with a 30 day free trial from the date it goes live, which is the 12th of november.

My total for my monthly plan is: £32.74. Had i been with the £6.49 offer i wouldnt have been able to cancel broadband. as for the exchange i dont know, we are right near it anyways and she said we would get 11megs from it, which she seemed quite surprised by.

Either way 2 months for broad band is shocking, I wont be staying with them for it.
  • mumslave
    ah i see what you are saying, are you trying to tell me that even if i can cancel my broad band, i wont be able to go with another provider, because the line is with talk talk...the way it is set up at the exchange. Is that right?
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Mumslave,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the set up of your broadband services. Do you have your TalkTalk account number as yet? If so could you please register and post at https://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums then I can take a look into your broadband order and what has caused the delays for you.

Cheers
    Emma x
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • macman
    mumslave wrote: »
    ah i see what you are saying, are you trying to tell me that even if i can cancel my broad band, i wont be able to go with another provider, because the line is with talk talk...the way it is set up at the exchange. Is that right?

Depends if TT are LLU on that exchange, by the sound of it they are not, or you would be able to get Essentials at £6.49. Really need to know the exchange, either post your postcode so someone can check for you, or check for yourself on samknows.com, then exchange search. 'LLU Operator Presence' column will show you if TT are LLU.
    Since you already have your TT number, try putting that into another ISP's availability checker and see if it is still recognised as a BT number. For example:
    https://www.o2broadband.o2.co.uk/getBroadband.do
  • mumslave
    I phoned talktalk this morning emma and was simply told talktalk was very busy with lots of broadband requests, thats why it was taking so long. I will pop along anyways, though I dont expect anything will change, thanks for the reply :)
  • mumslave
    okay its not LLU and the o2 said i could get broadband with them, so thats a good thing right? It just had ASDL ticked for the exchange.
  • macman
    That would indicate that you can probably get broadband through another ISP.
    What are your other LLU options, these will be the best deals? Might be easier if you just post the link to your exchange search results.
    O2 is excellent but only if available LU, do not go for the O2 Access package under any circumstances.
  • mumslave
    there is no LLU provider in the area, they are all x's :( so it will be costly for me any provider wont it. I will find the link for you though. http://samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSIGD
  • macman
    Unlikely that your exchange will ever be unbundled with less than 2,000 subscribers I'm afraid. So you are looking at a resold BT Wholesale service for now
    You might look at Plusnet Value, which is 5.99 for 3 month, then 11.99. 18m contract, 10GB monthly limit. They do practice traffic shaping, which may or may not be a factor for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport