Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: UK economy still in recession

Options

Comments

• kennyboy66_2
    Options
    Generali wrote: »
    Does this now mean that Mrs Thatcher is no longer the evilist Prime Minister since records began now someone else has resided over a bigger recession?

No she will always be the evilist PM.

But, she also brought plenty of good long lasting reforms in.

It will be difficult even for Labour supporters like myself to argue that changes in the last 12 years will prove to be particularly long lasting.

PS Interesting story in last week's Economist about Japan's experience with QE:

CFN310.gif

I would think the biggest difference will be that the Yen actually got slightly stronger against the USD during the period of Japanese QE by about 10%.

On the other hand, we will let Sterling slide as much as possible against the Euro and USD our main trading partners.
    US housing: it's not a bubble

Moneyweek, December 2005
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is the labour goverment keeping us in recession as a ploy to get us spending more

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    At least even with this data we're still better off than the French and Germans. Well aside from the obvious differences, like them having more money than us, lower crime and a better standard of living.

At least we're still better than them.

but they smell funny ;):eek:
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its reflecting the little pictures we all see, right? not changing them...?

Correct, these GDP figures are a record of what happened during the quarter July-Sept 2009.

Put simply, UK GDP is a measure of:

Personal Consumption + Investment* + Government Spending + Exports - Imports

Growth figures (as a being discussed) show the change in that sum over time, adjusted for changes in inflation.

* Investment = business investment in things that will add to productive capacity + net change in stock levels + new house building

This post was brought to you by Generali's LIR Translation Services(TM).
  • kennyboy66_2
    Options
    Wookster wrote: »

No big surprise here.

Ah, the benefit of hindsight.

If you had let me know yesterday, I would have sold sterling.
    US housing: it's not a bubble

Moneyweek, December 2005
  • chucky
    chucky Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    julieq wrote: »
    Ah !!!!!!, we're all doomed again :(

it's some more doom !!!!!! for the doomsters :D
    But Graham, slow and steady corrcetion, giving people time to adust to a potential shift in spending could be better than unsustainable growth. Both are better than a greater contraction.

this is the thing LIR - we have negative numbers and some are expecting numbers to be positive the next time they are announced.

things don't work like that unfortunately - as you say it's a gradual correction that will happen. it's a lack of understanding that those that expected it to be a guaranteed positive.
  • The_White_Horse
    Options
    and still brown won't do the decent thing and go. he has zero chance of winning an election. ZERO. just go now with a tiny shred of decency. he wants to destroy the whole country so the tories have to increase tax massively. they are borrowing billions more every day!

whenever the lefties get in, they get voted out with the country in financial ruin. amazing how daft the public are that they don't seem to understand this.

I mean is brown really savouring his last 7 months. is he enjoying being the most despised ridiculed useless dithering buffoon of a PM ever???? what is his problem?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,033 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But isn't there some cunning argument that their QE wasn't proper QE the way the BoE are doing it...?!
    Does this now mean that Mrs Thatcher is no longer the evilist Prime Minister since records began now someone else has resided over a bigger recession?

PS Interesting story in last week's Economist about Japan's experience with QE:

CFN310.gif
    I think....
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    But isn't there some cunnng argument that their QE wasn't proper QE the way the BoE are doing it...?!

no need to swear ...:eek::eek::eek:
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • worldtraveller
    Options
    just think how bad it really [strike]would[/strike] will be [strike]if[/strike] as a result of the government [strike]had not started[/strike] printing money!
    ;)
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure