Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: UK economy still in recession

Options

Comments

• mewbie_2
    mewbie_2 Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    julieq wrote: »
    So I wouldn't be looking at UK figures at all, look elsewhere for the moment.
    Good suggestion. It just makes me f'ckign depressed looking at our figures. Much rather look at China.
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2009 at 12:35PM
    Options
    I like bing called my love. :)

Itb jut seems before these figures come out, whatever they are people get very excited about what it will or won't prove.

It's really important, because before the figures came put it looked like my forecast last winter of the first growth in Q4 was going to be wrong, and now I still have a chance of boasting on the forum.

Ya don't get no more important than that...
    Its reflecting the little pictures we all see, right? not changing them...?

I think that these statistics do change the little pictures... these numbers get fed into the Bank Of Englands crazy mathematical models, and produce predicted future inflation in 6 months time. These predictions are used to decide how many bazillions of pounds will be printed next month. Currently, I think the answer will be many.

p.s. My new computer is working again! I finally used the bank of england approach, and just spent loadsa money to fix the thing! Yay! I can interwub again!
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tomterm8 wrote: »

I think that these statistics do change the little pictures... these numbers get fed into the Bank Of Englands crazy mathematical models, and produce predicted future inflation in 6 months time. These predictions are used to decide how many bazillions of pounds will be printed next month.

yes, this I can understand, but its the future: they don't change what lead todays figures or where we are, individually: if things are worse than you thought but you are emloyed and had a pay rise...things are just worse thanYOU thought, and inversely in the same respect. Now, we know howit was for everyone else the last quater: now we gird our los for the next, which yes, I agree this feeds. I was more talking about th build up on the board, in the press, to this figure.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kennyboy66 wrote: »
    The 3 greatest PM's of the last 80 years are formed as much by circumstance as by the indivdual.

Churchills political career would have looked a disaster without WW2
    Atlee was the right man for post war
    Thatcher had a conviction lacking in other politicians to force changes through. Right person, right time.

Why does MacMillan(sp?) never get a mention? He was a very long serving PM so must have been pretty popular (nicknamed SuperMac) yet you never hear anything about him really. I know just about nothing about him apart from he was in Black and White and he had a really great quote about Africa.
  • kennyboy66_2
    kennyboy66_2 Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Generali wrote: »
    Why does MacMillan(sp?) never get a mention? He was a very long serving PM so must have been pretty popular (nicknamed SuperMac) yet you never hear anything about him really. I know just about nothing about him apart from he was in Black and White and he had a really great quote about Africa.

He was an old school toff and resigned after being diagnosed with inoperable prostate cancer in 1963.

He died in 1986!
    US housing: it's not a bubble

Moneyweek, December 2005
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options

I remember when John Major took over from Thatcher and the Daily Mail quoted that he was going to be "A quiet man of steel".

:o

Still he seemed a decent enough sort - Brown and Blair make me queasy.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kennyboy66 wrote: »
    He was an old school toff and resigned after being diagnosed with inoperable prostate cancer in 1963.

He died in 1986!

Why did he keep getting re-elected do you think?
  • bumpoowee
    bumpoowee Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    Haha green shoots my !!!!. But at least house prices are going up so that will keep the idiots happy for now.
  • kennyboy66_2
    Options

I think the thing lots of people miss about Mrs Thatcher is that she attacked lots of entrenched interests.

A great example of Doctors self regulation is John Bodkin Adams.
    A convicted fraudster and suspected serial killer. He was alledged to have killed 160 patients (132 of whom left him money in their will).

He was struck off in 1957.

Back working as a GP in 1961.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bodkin_Adams

Moneyweek, December 2005
  • kennyboy66_2
    Options
    Why did he keep getting re-elected do you think?

He only won 1 general election. He suceeded Eden after Suez in 1957, then subsequently won the election in 1959.

Moneyweek, December 2005
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills