Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Options

Comments

• Jakes_3
    Options
    It looks like if you don't have the highest prescriptions with the 1.7 business, then the offer is still better at Specsavers with some glasses complete for £25 (as I've said before, I have some and they're fine - my first pair ever) and two pairs for £75 = £37.50 each. There are other offers on the high st for less (£69?) but you don't always get the same quality for the second pair.

What's the right word for high 1.7 whatevers?
    shown73 wrote: »
    ... Oh dear! So, as long as the prescription is pretty simple, you should be ok, I suppose, otherwise it's back to the high street and exhorbitant prices.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jakes wrote: »

The thickness of the lens is referred to as an index as in 1.7 index
  • kennyjosiah
    Options
    Jakes wrote: »
    It looks like if you don't have the highest prescriptions with the 1.7 business, then the offer is still better at Specsavers with some glasses complete for £25 (as I've said before, I have some and they're fine - my first pair ever) and two pairs for £75 = £37.50 each. There are other offers on the high st for less (£69?) but you don't always get the same quality for the second pair.

Yes I agree if you only need the normal lenses Asda is comparable with everyone else. What makes the Asda deal so great is that the thinnest lenses are included in the price, which if you are very shortsighted is a godsend, and usually if you want/need the thin lenses then glasses end up over £200 for one pair, so a massive saving for me :)
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Asda offer is great for us blindeys. For people with better eyesight, they are comparable with elsewhere.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • craigmsimpson
    Options
    Just contacted my nearest store that has an opticians (over half an hour drive but well worth it) and was told that as long as I only require Single Vision lenses, then I can have two designer pairs for £90. The only condition is that you have to pay in full up front.
    £90 would only get me one lens at Dolland & Aitchison and I'm not sophisticated enough for a monocle.

Many Thanks to kennyjosiah for the original post, you've saved me a small fortune.
  • Ginger_J
    Options
    :D
    Just contacted my nearest store that has an opticians (over half an hour drive but well worth it) and was told that as long as I only require Single Vision lenses, then I can have two designer pairs for £90. The only condition is that you have to pay in full up front.
    £90 would only get me one lens at Dolland & Aitchison and I'm not sophisticated enough for a monocle.

Many Thanks to kennyjosiah for the original post, you've saved me a small fortune.

Just to let you know, I travelled over an hour to get to my nearest Asda, and although they may say you have to pay up front, I only paid half my bill as they hadn't got the optician there to sign for my "blind as a bat voucher"!!!! So I'm paying the rest when I pick up my glasses. So, there is a way round it!
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Ginger_J wrote: »
    :D
    "blind as a bat voucher"
    What are these vouchers? I saw them mentionned earlier but thought nothing of it.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • mapcr77
    mapcr77 Posts: 667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »
    What are these vouchers? I saw them mentionned earlier but thought nothing of it.
    I too am intrigued about the vouchers... and i'm also blind as a bat! :rolleyes:
  • Ginger_J
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »

Ha ha! Sorry! I get a voucher towards my glasses because I've got a high (or complex) prexcription. It's not much, but it helps! It was about £13. My prescription is -10.50 and -11.50. I get free sight tests because of it too!

You should ask about it!

Good luck! :rotfl:
  • lawsofnature
    lawsofnature Posts: 365 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2009 at 10:15PM
    Options
    I took one pair of my specs back as they fitted very badly. ASDA's optician manager was great, and tried to the solve problem with adjustments, but then decided to just go for a different pair.

While there, I noticed on their computer system that the lens brand they had fitted was Hoya. If I'm not mistaken, these are pretty decent lens??

Just one of my frames, with the 1.67 lenses, costs £110-125 from the cheapest online stores. Great bargain to get two pair for £90!

Ironically, these new budget glasses are also a million times more comfortable than my £500 designer ones.

Is Specsavers planning to match ASDA's deal?? Because otherwise, they're are surely going to suffer significantly from this offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure