Georgeson shareholder

Options
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but hopefully it is!

Yesterday I received a letter from Georgeson shareholder about an apparent unclaimed investment listed in my full name at an address in London. The letter went on to say they were attempting to find this person to have the funds allocated and so on. I have never lived in London, so in short I'm not the person they are looking for so they must be spamming every person they can find with my name.

My worry is....

Having googled the company in question their address and contact details do not match the details on the letter I received. Having rang the correct telephone number listed on the company’s page they say they have no office matching the letter I received. When I rang the 0800 listed on the letter yesterday is didn’t connect as if it wasn't a real number however it works today!

Is someone trying to do something funny with my identity?

The company details on the letter are as follows;

Georgeson shareholder
po1286
Bristol
bs99 2ff
0800 4080093

Contact Claire Caddick

Regards

Martin.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This one has been popping up a lot recently and appears to be a spam.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AceCobra
    AceCobra Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks for the reply.

I'm not so worried if its a scam rather than my details being used for something they shouldn't.

Martin.
  • beadycas
    beadycas Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Today a relative passed a letter on to me from Georgeson, The Pavilions, Bridgewater Road, Bristol, BS99 6AB. Georgeson's are trying to find me regarding the conversion of a building society to a Public Limited Company. The last known address was when I lived with my parents 27 years ago. The letter asks my relative to provide any information to where I am living. Should they pass this on to them, or is it a scam.

I am interested to know if anyone has received a cheque from Georgeson and whether they are not cowboys after something.

Thanks
    Brenda
  • wolves2625
    Options
    I have also heard from this company - they contacted me about some money owing from Bradford and Bingley so it all appears above board - i note their address seems to be where a lot of company registrars are
  • wolves2625
    Options
    just noticed they appear to be part of computershare - they are referred to on this website
    http://www-uk.computershare.com/CorporateProfile/RegionalDescriptions/UnitedKingdom.asp?bhjs=1&fla=1
  • catz1ct
    catz1ct Posts: 828 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's probably Bradford & Bingley because you wont be able to claim them after next year.
    :rotfl:
  • baby_boomer
    baby_boomer Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually I think the "lost" B&B shares have been sold and the money waiting is worth rather more than if they had been retained in the open market.
  • HI-ACE
    HI-ACE Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    beadycas wrote: »
    Today a relative passed a letter on to me from Georgeson, The Pavilions, Bridgewater Road, Bristol, BS99 6AB. Georgeson's are trying to find me regarding the conversion of a building society to a Public Limited Company. The last known address was when I lived with my parents 27 years ago. The letter asks my relative to provide any information to where I am living. Should they pass this on to them, or is it a scam.

I am interested to know if anyone has received a cheque from Georgeson and whether they are not cowboys after something.

Thanks
    Brenda
    ive checked this out and its all above board. Its to give back money from bradford and bingley shares.
  • HI-ACE
    HI-ACE Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Ive checked this out and its all above board its to give out money for shares sold for bradford and bingley. Sadley I wasnt who they were looking for but if youve had a bb account you should be in for some money.
  • mkellerman
    Options
    Here is Georgeson's web site:
    http://www.georgeson.com/unclaimed/georgeson-letter.html

They are locating people with unclaimed shares from

Standard Life
    Bradford and Bingley
    Scottish Power

If claim the shares via Georgeson they will make a 10% charge.

You are better off claiming directly from these companies. That way, you'll avoid Georgeson's charge. Just ignore Georgeson's letter and phone up the company involved to inquire.

For Standard Life, you can call 0131 270 9060
    Standard demutualized in 2006 and you must claim any shares you are entitled to within 10 years of that date (so there's still plenty of time).

For the others I don't have exact info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport