🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

BT complaints

Options

Comments

• miltonskeen
    Options
    I also have an ongoing problem with BT related to both phone and broadband, and am receiving poor service from their call center.

Since June, my internet connection has been getting progressively slower, to the point that although I am paying for broadband, the service I am getting is more like dial up. Watching a youtube video for example has been impossible.

I had engineers out and they told me that a cap had been placed on my connection, but had now been removed. No reason was provided for the cap. The engineers did not seem to have any clue prior to turning up what the problem was... always asking me for a 'case update'

Over the past 2 weeks, I have again experienced problems with both the broadband and home phone. Whenever I recieve a call on the home line, the internet stops working for approx 2-3 minutes.

The net is again slow :(

I have an engineer coming today between 8am-1pm but dont hold much hope of them knowing anything about the case at all, as seems the usual.

The impression I am being left of BT customer services is that the call center in India in no way talks to their colleagues in the UK (engineers) and so although they assure you problems are being dealt with, I suspect they are not. I am dealing with a pleasant enough gent called Santosh at the minute who calls when he says he will etc, so no fault of his.

Their is obviously a fault on my line, so please BT, repair and speed me up!
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi jvol

I have just seen you post and would like to help with this. I can check to see why the cap has been added to your line and also can check to see if it has been removed. If you check out my profile section you will find my contact information, if you send me your account information and a link to this thread I will gladly look into this for you.

Regards David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • BloomingWellFedUp
    Options
    jvol wrote: »
    The second part of my issue (once I hopefully get the cap lifted), is gaining recompense for what's gone on on my service since October 2008. As far as I can see, BT have been in breach of contract with me for all the time I've been a broadband customer, as their broadband options all clearly state that BT will provide the maximum speed the line can deliver. BT have only been supplying me with 1Mb maximum, when the line will in fact support considerably more. It is my intention to pursue this matter in the commonly-advised way, by sending a letter by registered post to their Durham correspondence centre, stating what I believe would be reasonable compensation, and giving them 28 days to respond before I escalate to Ofcom.

Does anyone have any other advice?

Report matters to Kathy Dean - BT Retail, Head of Fair Trading - her email is [EMAIL="kathy.dean@bt.com"]kathy.dean@bt.com[/EMAIL] as provided from Ofcom publicly accessible records published by BT.

Activate the BT Complaints procedure "OFCOM GENERAL CONDITIONS 14 CODES OF PRACTICE AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION" which starts the 8 week clock ticking for the whole matter to be sent to OTELO the ombudsman if BT fail to resolve matters. Send a written complaint via email and head it as "FORMAL COMPLAINT - OFCOM GENERAL CONDITIONS 14 CODES OF PRACTICE AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION" - that leaves BT with no doubt of what they have to do.

Tell Ms Dean what you want - such as refund of charges for not being provided with the service you have under contract.

Don't take no for an answer - and require everything in writing!

The complaint will end up with the CEO team (Chief Executives Office - Highest Level Complaints) - and I suspect that the BT Company Rep is a member of that very team. By dealing with complaints in this way it keeps complaints away from official OFCOM channels and it can delay the official 8 week resolution period from being activated.

The correct way for BT to deal with complaints can be found by googling "BT Code of practice on handling complaints"

It says
    "Kevin Lendor, Compliance Operations Manager of BT Group, is responsible for making sure that we keep to this code. If you would like to comment on the code, or our complaints procedure, please email Kevin at [EMAIL="compliance@bt.com"]compliance@bt.com[/EMAIL]. Or you can write to Kevin at:

PO Box 10777,
    Colchester TE,
    West Stockwell Street,
    COLCHESTER
    CO1 9JU

Only issues regarding compliance with the BT Code of Practice for Residential Customers and Small Businesses should be sent to [EMAIL="compliance@bt.com"]compliance@bt.com[/EMAIL]."
    You can also find a full copy of the BT complaints procedures and how to access them.

It also says:
    ‘Quality of service’ statement
    We are proud of how reliable our network is and how professional the people who run it are. We carry out checks on our network every night and put right many faults before they cause a problem for our customers. However, despite our best efforts, things do go wrong. When they do, we want to know as quickly as possible so that we can put them right.
    Odd how a cap on a service that should not have been there has not been picked up automatically on the nightly checks? Looks like a Quality Of Service Issue to me!

Under complaints it says the following:
    How to make a complaint
    We are committed to providing the best communications service in the world. Despite our best efforts, things can go wrong. When they do, we want to know so we can put them right as quickly as possible. Telling us about your complaint through (BT Web Address) will save you the inconvenience of having to print and post your letter to us, and it is likely that your complaint will also be dealt with sooner.

If you would like to make a complaint about a BT payphone, please phone 0800 661 610.

If you prefer to complain in writing, please send it to the appropriate address below, making sure you include the account number and telephone number of the service you are complaining about.

For residential customers send to:
    Customer Service Manager
    BT Customer Correspondence Centre
    Providence Row
    Durham
    DH98 1BT.
    It is noted that BT fail to state the time limits imposed by OFCOM on complaint handling (8 weeks) - which of they fail to comply with give you automatic access to the Ombudsman, OTELO.

From experience -

1) Complain In writing -
    2) Tell BT you do not want to be phoned about the complaint and all communication is to be in writing
    3) If they phone tell them they are being naughty and then tell them in writing that they are being naughty and the conduct is unacceptable. This generally stops them and makes them focus.
    4) tell BT what you want
    5) be very blunt and direct
    6) set an explicit deadlines for tem to follow and if they miss them write again and tell them
    7) all emails send with a request for return receipt
    8) copy all emails to a second email address you control so that you can prove it was sent ( it's the same as recorded delivery).
    9) Tell them bluntly that should they fail to resolve matters and provide compensation for breach of contract you will take matters to OTELO the Ombudsman
    10) Should BT still be messing about after 6 weeks start writing and requiring them to provide a Deadlock Letter and inform OTELO right away. OTELO can make sure you have all the right papers to bring a complaint to them ASAP.
    11) If at 8 weeks BT are still messing about, Report the Whole Lot to OTELO and ask OTELO to investigate. Oddly OTELO can get it all turned around in as little as 2 weeks!

Oh and it's always worth stating that any complaint should be made known to Mr Ian Livingston (Chief Executive) and Sir Mike Rake (Chairman) as they do like to know what is going on - In particular Sir Mike who has a great interest in Rural Broadband issues and low speeds!

Google "Sir Mike Hambleden" to find out more. :rotfl:

Good Luck - You may well need it!
  • Claire71uk
    Options
    I found the best way to get a resolution was to log everything...I mean everything....names and coountries where the supposed 'Customer Service' agents are located. After 57 calls and still no resolution I sent a strongly worded email to the Chairman/CEO of BT directly...within minutes I had his assistant calling, apologising and hey presto...things started to happen.

Each time BT broadband have screwed things up...I have sent an email direct to her and things get sorted.

Unfortunately, my relationship with BT has come to an end as my confidence has been undermined by the offshore call centres with 48hr response times, missing call logs, credit card fraud (payment information supplied to the BT representative - within days finding my card had been used in several countries including India), broken English not to mention slow or poor speeds and the hundreds of excuses.

Now with O2 I am saving over £500 per year as I now have my mobile, homeline & broadband services with them. They now offer independent unbundled services in parts of the UK, which means I don't pay a bean to BT anymore.

Before my services including BT Vision, Home Phone and Broadband were costing me almost £1000 per year...for intermitant service and lousey customer service.

The BT Chairman's email: [EMAIL="ian.livingston@bt.com"]ian.livingston@bt.com[/EMAIL]

Chairman's Assistant: Alison Bauress [EMAIL="alison.bauress@bt.com"]alison.bauress@bt.com[/EMAIL]

I also have an ongoing problem with BT related to both phone and broadband, and am receiving poor service from their call center.

Since June, my internet connection has been getting progressively slower, to the point that although I am paying for broadband, the service I am getting is more like dial up. Watching a youtube video for example has been impossible.

I had engineers out and they told me that a cap had been placed on my connection, but had now been removed. No reason was provided for the cap. The engineers did not seem to have any clue prior to turning up what the problem was... always asking me for a 'case update'

Over the past 2 weeks, I have again experienced problems with both the broadband and home phone. Whenever I recieve a call on the home line, the internet stops working for approx 2-3 minutes.

The net is again slow :(

I have an engineer coming today between 8am-1pm but dont hold much hope of them knowing anything about the case at all, as seems the usual.

The impression I am being left of BT customer services is that the call center in India in no way talks to their colleagues in the UK (engineers) and so although they assure you problems are being dealt with, I suspect they are not. I am dealing with a pleasant enough gent called Santosh at the minute who calls when he says he will etc, so no fault of his.

Their is obviously a fault on my line, so please BT, repair and speed me up!
  • mobile48
    mobile48 Posts: 745 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2010 at 7:12PM
    Options
    Claire71uk wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my relationship with BT has come to an end as my confidence has been undermined by the offshore call centres with 48hr response times, missing call logs, credit card fraud (payment information supplied to the BT representative - within days finding my card had been used in several countries including India), broken English not to mention slow or poor speeds and the hundreds of excuses.

Your comment may explain why I now have the opposite problem - call centre promising to put a simple credit on my account to remove a charge but I am yet to see it and it looks like it is going to take a month or more. I keep phoning and they keep telling me it will be done. Perhaps security is now tight making any monetary changes to accounts difficult. I do not recall having the same problem previously.
  • BloomingWellFedUp
    Options
    Claire71uk wrote: »
    I found the best way to get a resolution was to log everything...I mean everything....names and coountries where the supposed 'Customer Service' agents are located. After 57 calls and still no resolution I sent a strongly worded email to the Chairman/CEO of BT directly...within minutes I had his assistant calling, apologising and hey presto...things started to happen.

How odd!

When I did that I found all communications routed to Sam Ireland, Media Executive, BT Group News Room Tel: +44 (0)20 7356 2830 Tel: +44 (0)7739 925055 e-mail: [EMAIL="sam.ireland@bt.com"]sam.ireland@bt.com[/EMAIL]

Maybe BT feared a bit of media attention? :rotfl:

Maybe BT saw something very different in my communications addressed to Mr Livingstone and Sir Mike "I'm the only person in the village with Broadband" Rake?

Some are lucky to get Mr Livingstone to take notice- well his PA - but that is after all voluntary on his part.

On the other hand, it is a matter of law that BT comply with OFCOM General Condition 14 - CODES OF PRACTICE AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION.

That allows any customer to avoid the grace and favour of Mr Livingston and ensure that any complaint is fully and even lawfully investigated, and should the customer still be unhappy to take it to an independent party called OTELO - Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman

Some are lucky and others not! Mr Livingston knows that - so why should BT customers put up with Pot Luck?:rotfl:
  • 10yrsoldersaver
    Options
    Ive Just received a nice letter from BT :rotfl:Informing me that unfortunately :(they are having to once again increase their line rental charges by 0.50p a month..= £13.29.Its so sad that they are so short of money!They have had enough of mine over the past 25 years!
    Also call set up is to rise to 10.09p & uk land line daytime calls up to 6.4p a minute !
    As I am against being forced into direct debits ( I am a huge advocate of standing orders...remember those) i still pay quarterly which incurs me a further charge (ie; i dont receive any discount) I am also charged a ridiculous fee for my paper bill (another fairly recent unfair charge).
    This is a company making millions yet never reducing their charges!
    They are now offering a line rental ..of wait for it...£9.49 a month(subject to terms) ...but here is the catch ..you have to pay a year up front! pay by DD and have bills on line. My question is ; Is there a good, cheaper alternative to BT, who i could move to without it affecting my 02 broadband?
  • Save_Money_4
    Options
    Check out this complaint.

I've been a BT Business customer for more than 15 years. In July 2008 I hired a private contractor to organise a 6 channel ISDN line at my new premises which was set to open in November 2008. I was planning on running both sites and therefore did not take the move my business option.

My contractor faxed the order to BT Local business with all the details of the new premises, spoke with BT Local business to confirm receipt of the order etc. BT phoned me to check the contractor was acting on my behalf and confirmed installation dates.

2 Weeks later, I spotted a BT engineer scaling the pole outside my current premises, when I asked what he was doing he reluctantly informed me that he was installing a new broadband line!!! I immediately asked him to stop as we had not ordered a broadband line. I put 2 and 2 together and came out with 13 that BT was in fact installing my order that was intended for my new premises.

I called BT local business who confirmed they had scr3wed up!! Cancelled the order and re-planned for 3 weeks later.

When the order was cancelled, they also included on there big RED button for termination all my other business lines deleting the lot. I was left with no business lines in or out.

To make this story a little shorter it took 3 weeks to sort out and get my lines back after approximately 50 calls 3 times daily with endless lies about the re-instatement date of my phone line by both BT Local business & staff in management positions. Call forwarding was not even available as the numbers simply were not in BT's system. After our lines were back, I was offered compensation of £11.73 !!!!!!.................

We moved to our new premises in Nov 2008 as planned, in May 2009 after the dust hand settled from moving we decided to shut our old premises cancelling all the lines.

We immediately received an invoice for £1000.00, early termination charges. When queried this was in fact an error. When BT deleted our lines, it was classed as a new contract when they put them back again. A refund was agreed........

I have chased and chased, phoned BT Local business 10 times, Emailed a specific contact with scanned copies of the bills, several times. Phoned the BT billing line who promise to come back by a specific date, heard absolutely DIDDLE SQUAT from them.

Feb 2010 I received another 1000.00 early termination charge, while BT local business was tidying our account they swopped our phone lines from one account to another yet again triggering a new contract set-up.

STILL !!!!!!!G WAITING for my £2000.00 back PLEASE, which of course was taken via DD. I might have another hour to waste today, so will probably call BT again.

Just thought I would share this with you.

PS. As daft as this may sound I still remain loyal to BT despite 2 calls a day from competitors.

Mark
  • sianos
    Options
    I have been trying to find a BT High Level complaints phone number online when i came accross this tread, my terrible service from BT started Aug 2009 when i decided to give BT my broadband bussiness, that was my first mistake. Once my broadband became active i had real problems getting logged in to my emails for the first time, i am not a novice when it comes to accessing emails but after a long frustrating phone call to BT and passwords being reset i managed to get logged in, success!! Only to find that all of the original info i needed had been sent to the new email address - how am i supposed to log into an account when the passwords i needed had be sent to the new account?
    The package a ordered included the anytime calling feature, June 2010 is when this became active after more phone calls to BT. My new bill has just arrived and i still have the calling plan but i am also being charged for £70's worth of calls (these should be free) - as if paying for line rental/broadband upfront was not bad enough!
    I am now at the end of my teather and wondered where i stand considering i took out this 'package' for 18 months, as far as i am concerned i feel that BT have not given me what i signed up for and wondered who i can take this to (apart from OfCom) Am i within my rights to leave BT without having to pay a fee since they have not provided the service they advertised?

Thankyou
  • BonBon_3
    Options
    Two suggestions:

Check out http://www.connectotel.com/marcus/ceoemail.html

and write to the Chairman threatening legal action - subject heading

'Notice of intended legal proceedings'.

With a fair wind it will be resolved within a week.

Good Luck.

B.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills