Large Plus Size Clothing

Options

Comments

• Giddy_kipper
    Options
    Just found this thread and loving it ladies - thanks for all the links... I'm settling down with a cup of tea and my laptop for a browse :D

A comment about Sainsbury's Grace range - despite the lack of larger clothes on the high street, I wouldn't mourn the loss of this. It's been in the Taunton branch for a couple of years - one rack of clothing (naturally) and everything I ever saw was waaaaaaay too long and frankly tent like. As usual, the designers have no idea about what suits a curvy lady and so produce marquees, plus lots of the same style, just different colours - all very disappointing and totally unwearable, so no great loss. Could explain their lack of sales... if only they'd ASK what we want!

I have to admit I haven't read through the entire thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but M & Co do some lovely Plus sizes. Full price can be a little pricey, but they have good sales and are available online. Also I find them pretty true to size. :)
  • amyb_2
    amyb_2 Posts: 3,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A comment about Sainsbury's Grace range - despite the lack of larger clothes on the high street, I wouldn't mourn the loss of this. It's been in the Taunton branch for a couple of years - one rack of clothing (naturally) and everything I ever saw was waaaaaaay too long and frankly tent like. As usual, the designers have no idea about what suits a curvy lady and so produce marquees, plus lots of the same style, just different colours - all very disappointing and totally unwearable, so no great loss. Could explain their lack of sales... if only they'd ASK what we want!

I've got a few Grace tops - but for me they are too short and i have to wear a longline vest underneath as i like my waistband to be covered.

They were also really good quality; unlike some of the other supermarket ranges.

My local Sainsbury Homestore never got them but a big one nearby had a limited range. Its a shame its going.
    I'm so boring, my clothes wanna keep someone else warm, someone cooler
  • GoToGal
    GoToGal Posts: 743 Forumite
    Options
    Morning ladies

Still on my quest for goodly shaping underwear, this time for the dreaded "back fat" issue. Has anyone tried a shaper cami? I was looking at the gallery here http://www.unbelievabra.com/styles.html and they have lots of interesting pictures though none of the girls are actually that big.

Cheers
  • GoToGal
    GoToGal Posts: 743 Forumite
    Options
    UPDATE:

Good communication from the store. Bra turned up within 12 days of ordering.

Bra:
    Disappointing - The straps were quite thin unlike my Elomi's so they cut in deeply (bearing in mind I'm a 42H!) and exaggerate the "back fat" or "back cleavage" :D. Also, there was separating but no lifting :o so I'm not sure it really is a balcony bra.

My cleavage looks no different from my standard Elomi's, possible even smaller according to the man. The central bit is also too high up for my Ann Harvey wrap shirt, so the bow peeks out when it's on.

On the plus side, the material is lovely and silky feeling, the fit (aside from straps) is superb and the control is exceptionally firm.

I'm not sure what to look for to get both the cleavage effect and the lower central bit with a comfortable fit. Any suggestions? Maybe a padded balcony bra?
    GoToGal wrote: »
    I ended up ordering the same bra from http://www.envie4u.co.uk, prices are similar but they will deliver to work, offer cashback and free returns.
  • bananachip
    Options
    I'm wondering if there is anywhere online where you can buy plus sized fancy dress clothing at a reasonable price. I am about size 26-28 so it is hard enough to find real clothes let alone dress up outfits.

I'm going to a 60s and 70s themed party in a few weeks and got no idea what I want to wear. I thought about huge flares but would not know what to pair them with. Obviously got to be something flattering for a bigger figure so no skintight Abba suits! I had thought about trying to adapt some normal jeans to make them flares.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How about a long shirt, perhaps a waistcoat and a headband? Or something like a floaty tunic/kaftan? That would be fairly flattering and quite easy to find?
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    A comment about Sainsbury's Grace range - despite the lack of larger clothes on the high street, I wouldn't mourn the loss of this.[ ] and everything I ever saw was waaaaaaay too long and frankly tent like. As usual, the designers have no idea about what suits a curvy lady and so produce marquees :)

Same here - a complete over-reliance on things that fall off the shoulder and especially those waterfall hems and asymetric style which do nothing for a curvy person - my clothes shift around way more than those of a "clotheshorse" so the last thing I need is material that I can't work out where it belongs

My best too pieces are well-structured tunics, one from Bon Marche and one from Evans, both are silky and flattering but have their own shape and look really nice

PS I got rid of my stomach and fat arms recently by cutting down on carbs and sweets - wasn't difficult and was quite enlitening to have no worries about how the cut of certain clothes would show up my tum - and great to have slimmer arms but hated the bingo wings. I am back on the carbs etc now... cos I like them.:rotfl:
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    amyb wrote: »
    I'm 5'11 and size 24 - so i fell your pain.

My thing i can't find is vests that are long enough - ive got some wide strap ribbed ones but want a delicate thin strap vest for wearing under low cut tops.

I found the Mamas and Papas are nce and long - maternity but close fitting, silky and stretchy, worked well for me - or have you tried modesty panels that clip onto your bra and give you a bit of cleavage cover?
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bananachip wrote: »
    Obviously got to be something flattering for a bigger figure so no skintight Abba suits!

Oh dear - just snorted coffee all over me keyboard :rotfl::rotfl:

Not getting at you - I have just come down from your size to a 20/22 and the mental image of me in white Lycra 6 months ago :eek: I would have looked like a polar bear in a condom :rotfl::rotfl:

There is a very cute abba costume on this site:-

http://www.largeandlovelyfancydress.co.uk/plus-sizes-18-40-29-c.asp

I dare you :D

abba-costume-118-p[ekm]153x300[ekm].jpg
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • bananachip
    Options
    oh dear, think I'd look like a polar bear in a bathing cap in that Abba outfit!

I've found someone on Ebay who makes fancy dress clothing and it would not be ridicuously expensive to have a flower power mini dress made which is so short I could wear it with flares. Then I could go to town with the accessories and make up to complete the look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure