Great "How much to tip overseas?" Hunt

Options

Comments

• pmarsden
    Options
    Car Hire
    We are shortly going to Florida and usually use Alamo for car hire,
    but wondered if anyone knows a less expensive dealer to hire from.
    Thanks
  • ericthelobster
    Options
    Does anyone know how much to tip a pizza delivery man in USA?
  • TeaKandy
    Options
    THAILAND

At the restaurants and street vendors, general practice by Thais is tell the waiter/waitress to keep the change. So if your food came to 380 Baht, you can pay with 4 x 100 Baht notes i.e. 20 Baht tips, or if the service was extremely good, you can pay with 500 Baht note i.e. 120 Baht though Thais would not tip that much. If you gave them the exact money and no change expected and you want to tip, then leave some changes (coins + small notes 10-20 Baht) on the table before you leave.

It is the same for Taxi, i.e. meter shown 145 Baht, you can pay 150 - 160 (= 5-15 Baht tips). Someone said earlier that Taxi in Thailand already marked up the price for foreigner, but if you use metered one (and insist the taxi to use the meter) the price was not marked up.

But you do not "have to" tip in Thailand. Although someone also said earlier that some places expected to get more tip from foreigner, but I think you don't need to go back to that place, there are lots more restaurant etc. to choose from, so just tip them (or not) as you see fit.
  • rabtaylor
    Options
    Me and the wife have been going to the Philippines for some years now and would not think of not tipping especially when you find out that the waitresses etc are working for approx £1 per day
    At the resort we are staying at we usually don't tip through- out the stay but leave approx £20-£30 between all the bar staff and waitresses and we always give it to the staff and don't put it in a jar
    Should we go out to a bar etc then generally we round the bill up to the nearest 100 peso or more depending on if it was just a drink or a full meal
    Also when we were in PNG a tip was not expected but again the people are very poor and work for very little so we left approx £40-£50 between everyone in the resort as we stayed approx 3 weeks
    I've also got to say there have been very few times the service has been bad and when it has it's always been in the big bad citires like Manila
  • jasoneboyd wrote:
    New Zealand
    You get looked at a bit strange by most people in NZ if you want to tip, but most think if you want to give away your money, it may as well be to them. Tipping should only be reserved for excellent and friendly service and is seen as a reward, not an expectation. Tipping is generally more accepted in Auckland and Wellington (due to foreign influences), urban rather than rural and in the North Island rather than the South.

In the South Island, and even some of the more 'touristy' places, you night get more than looked at funny anywhere other than hotels. Tipping may be taken as a bit of an insult (in that you think the staff are dependant on your goodwill for their income). Kiwis don't like to be treated as servants - they're doing a job which they're paid for, are usually very friendly but will try and make you feel like a local and the locals don't tip.
  • rfburke
    rfburke Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    USA - New York the buy back works in bars, $1 tip per bottle you order you then get the third drink free. If you don't get the buy back then don't leave a tip. If you sit at the bar leave your money out and the bar man will take as he needs for each round. Set your tip (a few $1 notes) to one side so he can see you intend to tip. The buy back doesn't operate everywhere, i don't think they do it in Boston and Houston.
    Restaurants include a service charge for a table of 6 - 8 guests or more and after midnight (usually). When i worked in a restaurant in new york if service was included we would turn the bill over write thank you have a good night plus the total due. Customers usually only checked that the 2 totals matched and would then tip twice.
    Not sure if the buy works in every city not in Boston and Houston.

Japan - No tips. Don't even try and haggle as its considered extremely rude (you are effectively accusing him of dishonesty ). Adding "Domo" to a thank you (Arigato) is the equivalent of "very much", works better.

Cuba - They expect a tip everywhere, they think you're loaded and can be quite rude if you don't leave a tip after every meal, even in an all inclusive resort.
  • Disillusioned-
    Options
    Hungary/Budapest – tip 15-20% in restaurants. It’s rude to leave change on the table, tell the waitress/waiter how much you are tipping and they will give you back the right change. If you go to a public bath tip the changing room attendant 200 or 300 Forints (about 75p). Hairdressers, taxi drivers also expect tips...Hungary has a big tipping culture.

My thoughts on tipping abroad are basically ‘when in Rome…’ And if Brits don’t like US tipping culture they should kindly not visit the US.

Germany - a small tip in restaurants is normal, 5-15%. Same as in Hungary, don't leave it on the table, give it to your waiter.
  • lloydbarclay
    Options
    pmarsden wrote: »
    Car Hire
    We are shortly going to Florida and usually use Alamo for car hire,
    but wondered if anyone knows a less expensive dealer to hire from.
    Thanks

Try getting quotes re car hire over here,they always quote for car hire including insurance,which in USA usually doubles the hire charge.
  • jeenie40
    Options
    Try getting quotes re car hire over here,they always quote for car hire including insurance,which in USA usually doubles the hire charge.

hi everyone my 1st post,any info about tipping in Malta please :o
  • foresterf
    Options
    jenniferpa wrote: »
    Re tipping in the USA.

My DH (an american) is a proponent of tipping a ludicrously small amount when you want to make a point about poor service. His rationale is that then they know you haven't forgotten. It makes me crazy, but I sometimes let him get away with it (it's good to let him feel he has some control LOL). I personally prefer to point out why they're not geting a tip.

I would also put in a plea here for waitstaff (is that a word?). If the service has been good, but the food bad, I ALWAYS take it up with whoever is in charge. I have been known to refuse to pay a bill for bad food, but still left an appropriately sized tip.

That is quite ludicrous. You should have the courage of your convictions and leave nothing if it spoilt your whole evening. Liberalism gone mad
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure