Great "How much to tip overseas?" Hunt

Options

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    foresterf wrote: »
    That is quite ludicrous. You should have the courage of your convictions and leave nothing if it spoilt your whole evening. Liberalism gone mad
    I disagree, the waiter/waitress may have provided excellent service and therefore earned their tip even if the food was not as expected .. so I too would maybe leave a tip for the waiter/waitress and refuse to pay for the food.

I don't let trivia like this spoil my whole evening .. life is too short ... if the food is not up to par I simply get a chip on the way home (which I buy out of the money I have NOT paid for the meal) .. no big deal.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • mallu
    Options
    Tips amount: you tip for everything really,
    currency; egyptian pound
    currency rate: 1 GBP/11 EL

I have just returned from a holiday in egypt (cairo and sharm el sheikh resort)

Public conveniences: you tip 1 EL (whether they are clean or disgusting)
    for taxis: (we had one all day an honest and reliable guy - we used to tip 50 EL
    restaurants have it added to their bill 10% government tax and 12% service charge! and you can tip on top if you are feeling generous which we used to do in our hotel restaurant- they will look after you the next time you visit.

if hotel staff help with luggage and room service it is polite to tip. They will be extremely helpful and rush to your assistance the next time - it helps a great deal. Feels quite weird since we are not used to tipping here for same services we expect for free (like using the public toilets). it is rude and inpolite not to tip in egypt. Or may be i am just not used to travelling and staying in hotels - it must be the norm everywhere.
  • Ytaya
    Ytaya Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    A hint for bad service in the USA. Leave a one cent tip. If you leave no tip, the wait staff may assume you forgot. Leaving a one cent tip is considered exceptionally offensive and makes your message very clear :)
  • jim_woodley
    Options
    If you are in New York, a quick guide to tipping is to pay the same as the State tax.
  • jonthedog
    jonthedog Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems to be the custom in the US (or at least in NYC) to leave at least $1 per drink. This can work out quite expensive if your drinks are relatively cheap; way more than 15%. Although the barman may (or very easily may not) buy you a drink every 4th round or so, as previous correspondents have mentioned, this does you no good at all if you only want a couple of drinks!
    A tip I got of an American friend is to always start up a bar tab with a credit card instead, even (or especially) if you only intend to have a couple of drinks. You can then add the 15% on to the bill when you come to settle without causing any offence, or waiting in vain for the barman to buy your 'free' round.:beer:

In reference to some other contributors who seem to think the very idea of tipping is somehow immoral; this is just performance related pay - if everyone got paid this way you could expect people to work a lot harder. What is wrong is the erroneous belief that you can change the basic/performance pay structure in other countries by simply not leaving a tip yourself. I personally would prefer to see everything included in the bill and not be pressurized into making a judgement of a waiter's 'worth' at the end of a meal, but if the assumption that I will do this has been factored into the food prices and staff wages already, then so be it.

In the UK, if the service was good, but the food bad, you aren't restricted to just not leaving a tip. You are legally entitled to pay what you feel the meal was worth. You cannot simply walk out and pay nothing (without prior agreement from the restaurant!), but if you leave a nominal fee, say £1 and your name and address there is nothing the restaurant can do about it. More people should do this instead of penalizing the waiting staff for bad food.
  • ajax69
    ajax69 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Going through these forums I can see that the discussions revolve around tipping from the perspective of relatively richer tourists from the west tipping in proportion to the value of the service as they see it in their country. Especially the discussion around tipping service industry workers in poorer countries in dollars/pounds per tourist which adds up to quite a lot as compared to the average salary for those countries. ($5 per person per day in a tour trip for driver/cook in Africa for example etc adds to quite a lot when compared to the average wage for those countries). It may be fine in US or UK where such high tips really is required for the person to attain the required minimum wage of that economy. But I feel paying this level of tip in poor countries sets the expectation of tipping high and makes it difficult for tourists from other parts of the world and the same country itself from visiting points of interest.

The point I am trying to make is that, should not the tip be in proportion to the value of the service locally. eg:- Just because the rich American/European can afford to tip lavishly in dollars does not mean that people from other countries need to spend their hard earned money in a similar way to go on holidays abroad. (ie:- People from other countries in the world should not be forced to budget at the level of the affluent westerner in order to travel the world due to the artificial inflation caused by indiscriminate tipping practices of westerners. The travel bug is after all universal)

The act of visiting a country and using its services in itself allows the tourist to contribute to the local economy. There is no point in making a few front line staff disproportionately rich via tipping. It does not do the country or economy any good in the long run.

Having mentioned all that :p what would you consider a fair tip for safaris in Africa?
  • coffeekid
    coffeekid Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hello All

Can anyone give me any idea of tipping in Kenya.

many thanks
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ajax69 wrote: »
    Going through these forums I can see that the discussions revolve around tipping from the perspective of relatively richer tourists from the west tipping in proportion to the value of the service as they see it in their country. Especially the discussion around tipping service industry workers in poorer countries in dollars/pounds per tourist which adds up to quite a lot as compared to the average salary for those countries. ($5 per person per day in a tour trip for driver/cook in Africa for example etc adds to quite a lot when compared to the average wage for those countries). It may be fine in US or UK where such high tips really is required for the person to attain the required minimum wage of that economy. But I feel paying this level of tip in poor countries sets the expectation of tipping high and makes it difficult for tourists from other parts of the world and the same country itself from visiting points of interest.

The point I am trying to make is that, should not the tip be in proportion to the value of the service locally. eg:- Just because the rich American/European can afford to tip lavishly in dollars does not mean that people from other countries need to spend their hard earned money in a similar way to go on holidays abroad. (ie:- People from other countries in the world should not be forced to budget at the level of the affluent westerner in order to travel the world due to the artificial inflation caused by indiscriminate tipping practices of westerners. The travel bug is after all universal)

The act of visiting a country and using its services in itself allows the tourist to contribute to the local economy. There is no point in making a few front line staff disproportionately rich via tipping. It does not do the country or economy any good in the long run.

Having mentioned all that :p what would you consider a fair tip for safaris in Africa?

A thoughtful point.

The way in which western tourists give tips that are excessive (in relation to the general cost of living and level of wages in the 'host' country) has a number of negative effects. Indians are often ignored when they eat or drink in restaurants that attract foreigners: the staff know that they will earn far more by paying attention to the tourists. Of course, this kind of experience does nothing to make the country more welcoming for visitors.

More seriously, when a waiter or tour guide can earn many times what a teacher gets paid, teachers leave their jobs to work in tourism. This can really damage a 'host' society.
  • Norma_Scott
    Options
    We go to Spain quite a bit, I always like to leave 10%, unles we've had bad service, my husband on the other hand always tries to get away with not leaving anything. Are any other husbands like this? He's not tight with his money his comments are 'I've never been tipped for doing my job', he's been in the print all his life but now a security guard.
  • RDEEJAY
    Options

Got talking to the waiters in Ponderosa restaurants and found out that they earned on average around $800 per day in tips during the high season. As these restaraunts are almost self service and the waiters just deliver the main meal and drinks it's not a bad job if you can get it.

Tried talking to waiters in most restaurants and found they were agrieved at the lack of tips from Brits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure