Great "How much to tip overseas?" Hunt

Options

Comments

• sinbinjack
    Options
    Ozone wrote: »
    I agree, The Brits have got a bad name in Florida for not tipping. The yanks get taxed on it regardless of whether you tip or not! They also, like some in our country, (ie waiters rely on it to make up very poor wages). If the service is good we normally leave between 15-20%, 10% in bars, but we do check in case service is included. Its mostly quite inexpensive anyway so whats the problem with leaving a tip? Of course if the service is crap they dont get a tip - but we tell them why - we dont just slink off.... If you can afford to go long haul, you can afford to tip. :A
    Yes I can afford to go long haul ,but I don't tip the pilot,the stewardess,or the person who books me the seat as they all get a wage for doing their job .Why should I have to Tip someone who drives me from the airport to the hotel or serves me a meal that is advertised at $x and then expect me to give them extra for "good"service ,I expect good service or will not use them again. Why is tipping the norm and why do you all think that any one is more entitled than another to get this "tip" .If wages are to low in an industry then the workers in that industry should make their bosses pay them a living wage ie the minimum wage ,and if that is to low then look for another job that pays a living wage ,don't look to the customers to pay more than the advertised price .
  • Benidormsuenyos
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I have lived in Spain for over 4 years and we work with UK tourists. Tipping is still expected here in Spanish resorts as the tourist industry pay is so low. Average earnings less than 5euros per hour. When you live and earn by the euro and are lucky enough to get work then a tip is greatly appreciated. Most service industries would be happy with 10% anything else a bonus! Most tourists are very kind and considerate and do tip, however, there are those that will not give a bean. I guess it is the individuals choice at the end of the day. But remember Mr or Mrs Meenie, the workers remember who you are!
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    sinbinjack wrote: »
    Why is tipping the norm and why do you all think that any one is more entitled than another to get this "tip" .If wages are to low in an industry then the workers in that industry should make their bosses pay them a living wage ie the minimum wage ,and if that is to low then look for another job that pays a living wage ,don't look to the customers to pay more than the advertised price .

That's not how it works in the service industry in America. People earn very low money in poorly paid jobs. Next time you are over look in the jobs pages of the local paper and you'll see what I mean. By way of an example, current waitressing jobs in Orlando are advertised at about $3.40 per hour. I wouldn't want to work for £1.70 per hour, and I would need a top up to get by! Big corporations shouldn't get away with it, but they do. I once checked out of an apartment in a swanky resort in Florida and found I'd forgotten something. When I went back to the room, I found that the cleaners were going through my trash and picked out all of the edible food to take home with them. Now, alongside my tip for the cleaner (at least $1-3 per day, depending on what's involved) I make sure I leave all of my leftover food items (non-perishable) out in clean carrier bags so they can take it home if they want it. It shouldn't happen, but it does.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • mistwraith_2
    Options
    In Lithuania do not tip the taxi drivers . Up to a few years ago there was no such thing as tips but the taxi drivers have been tipped by foriegners and expect it now. Th eproblem is tha tas a foriengner you will be grossly overcharged for your taxi journey anyway. Always agree a price firt and ensure teh meter is on. Inside every taxi there should be a sticker with teh name and number of teh controlling body of taxis.Always complain if you have been over charged to this number as they speak good english and will ensure this does not happen in future.
    Eating out is extremely cheap but service is often rather sullen. on the whole it is fast and teh food good but the waitress service is the bare minimum they can do for you. Tip 5 - 10 %
  • sue.b_2
    sue.b_2 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spirit wrote: »
    Jordan

about 1/2 to 1 JD at current exchange rate 1 JD = £1 ish.

hotel porters, taxi's, boat drivers (whatever they are called) coach drivers. it's not expected but is accepted gratefully as they are really not paid terribly well at all.

Do you tip in public toilets in Jordan? What about restaurants, cafes? I am going in three weeks and cannot find anything in my guidebook on this.
  • mahdlo
    mahdlo Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    What's the norm in S America??

Going to Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Peru, Bolivia.

I've been told overtipping in places like Bulgaria can be offensive/seen as showing off, eg, once ordered a beer and a diet coke in Bulgaria which cost the equivalent of 40p and left the eqivalent of a pound and was ticked off by a Brit living there!

If you think about this, the waiter would have been earning a hell of a lot more than his employer if everybody did the same!

Then again, is that a bad thing or am I onto something there?
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KK wrote: »
    Just got back from the States and was told by an Englishman living there that the general rule is to take the state tax and double it - approx 15-20%. Sometimes this seems ludicrously expensive on top of an expensive meal, at other times, cheap if you've had a good, but cheap meal. We stayed in Las Vegas for one night at a fairly smart hotel and had to tip twice to get our bags taken to our room. Once for the bellboy who unloaded the bags from our car and took them to a secure storage area, carefully labelling each bag, then another tip for the guy who brought them up to our room. There is a tips bowl/jar left at every counter serving food, even if it's a take away. I began to resent it in the end. Other than that we had a good money saving holiday on the whole. We got excellent priced flights on Virgin, then spent most of the flight out at the Upper Class bar drinking free drinks (just good luck I think, the staff were bored and really friendly), we really shopped around for accommodation in San Francisco and Yosemite, and Las Vegas and got competitive prices for good accommodation. We got our cash commission free and delivered to our door by First Direct. We bought a tent and sleeping bags in Target and camped for a few nights (tents and equipment much cheaper in USA), bought loads of cheap clothes (most are $ for £s e.g. $20 in Gap = £20 in UK!!), got a fabulous fully loaded SUV and free tank of gas (inc. in car DVD player!) for £300 for 2 weeks unlimited mileage (great as we did 2,200 miles), we had a wonderful holiday and made use of the many wi-fi access points in places like Starbucks to send our emails home! It was still an expensive trip, but we penny pinched in as many painfree ways as possible.
    So, you got all that cheap stuff (as well as drinking at the upper class bar, which you were not entitled to do) and resented adding a few dollars onto a tip for the bellboys. Suggest you skip Vegas in future, because they expect you to tip for everything there.:confused:
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • deegee999
    deegee999 Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Sri Lanka
    Yes & they expect it 100-200 rupees

Sardina
    No
  • Lizalu
    Lizalu Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    mahdlo wrote: »
    What's the norm in S America??

Going to Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Peru, Bolivia.

I've been told overtipping in places like Bulgaria can be offensive/seen as showing off, eg, once ordered a beer and a diet coke in Bulgaria which cost the equivalent of 40p and left the eqivalent of a pound and was ticked off by a Brit living there!

If you think about this, the waiter would have been earning a hell of a lot more than his employer if everybody did the same!

Then again, is that a bad thing or am I onto something there?

Depends where you are, I know that sound really obvious but (and my experience is mostly from Chil, Brazil and Argentina) if you're in a place designed for tourists, they'd expect 20%. But if,as is much nicer, you're in a locals' bar/restaurant they don't expect anything, and I wouldn't tip more than 10% for fear of offence.
    odi et amo
  • misscomickat
    Options
    Anyone know about tipping in Poland? I'm only going to be on a low wage there so can't afford to tip left right and centre.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure