MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. What's the price of romance?

Options

Comments

• ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    There's a difference between having the money and being able to afford it.

He should have checked the fares beforehand. If he didn't promise Eurostar, he could look into cheaper plane fares.

I think he should come clean, and see if she'd be ok with waiting til the fares are more affordable; it shouldn't really matter when they go as long as they do go, and it frees up money to have more fun over there.
  • tompaul
    Options
    Of course he must take her. As another poster says, you always keep your promises, whoever you've made them to.

But the lesson is never make a promise unless you can deliver. He should have kept his big mouth shut until he was sure he could get a deal he could afford.

We live by our expectations. If we think we should be on £30k p.a. and actually earn £25 we'll be miserable. If we feel that for what we do 20k would be OK but are actually paid £25k we'll be delighted and happy. The £25k is what we get in both cases but in one we're happy, in the other, not.

Edward needs to understand this and plan accordingly. Under-promise, over-deliver. It works in all the parts of our lives, including in business.
  • morg_monster
    Options
    I agree if he's a mere mortal he should go with his word and take her anyway.

But if he is REALLY Edward Cullen, then no he should forget about Bella and take me instead! I'll even pay for both of us! Mmmmm...
  • npw32jnw
    Options
    That is not romance!!!
    Romance is booking the trip without telling the other half and then surprising her on the day you go. So, that way, you pay the price you want to, and go when it fits in best with schedules.

Anyway, Edward clearly has no sense if he has told her what she is getting for her birthday before it happens.....that will only lead to more problems the next year and the year after etc etc.

Given he has already promised, he must do it, otherwise it will take him until the next birthday to get back all the brownie points he will have lost!!!
  • purplegaily
    purplegaily Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2009 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents P*** Poor performance

If he knows she wants to go so much - why didn't he get the tickets first and suprise her with these? He assumed(*) about cheap deals being available(which if you've read Silence of the Lambs is not a good thing to do!!)

Secondly, Why not talk to her, if their relationship is good enough to take her to Paris for her Birthday, she may be happy to go on another date, and have a nice meal out on her birthday as well (looking at the difference in the ticket price he could do both, for less than the full price)

As good money savers, although he may be able to afford to go at full price, he will get far better value, and may be able to spoil her far more in the shops or a fancy restuarant (as long as it's 2-4-1!) by going at a different time.

I'd be happy to go at another time, knowing he had more cash in his pocket - hopefully to be spent on me!!

* - to assume - makes an 'A**' out of 'U' & 'Me'
    Always on the look out for a bargain. :smileyhea Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
  • RuthnJasper
    Options
    Morally - yes, he should still take her. He made the promise without checking his facts first, which was daft of him. It's stated in the MMD that he can afford it as well.

However, if he didn't have the cash, perhaps they could cross the channel by ferry (pretty cheap, and lots of time to wander around the boat together and chat) and then get a train to Paris from the French port? Alternatively, he could come clean (no pun intended ;-)...) and confess to Bella. If she's halfway decent, she would offer to contribute to the cost or suggest an alternative weekend away.

Either way - Edward has to live with the consequences of his lack of research here; either pay the higher fare (with or without Bella's help), find an alternative channel crossing, or have Bella remind him about the missed birthday weekend in Paris for the rest of his natural life...!

Wish someone would take ME for a nice weekend in Paris!
  • TheFlyingGerbil
    Options
    He should say he can't get away for her birthday because of work, and book it for when the fares are cheaper, using the money he saved to buy her a nice meal on her birthday. I certainly wouldn't tell her it was more expensive than I was expecting as you are basically saying she isn't worth it!
  • BigMikeyG
    Options
    depends on the relationship, but I'm sure that they can wait a couple of weeks, better to save the money getting there and spend it on a nice meal or something when they are there???
    Date I decided to clear my debt: 03/12/08
    Debt started with: Loan - 2195, Credit Card - 1738, Interest free overdraft -500 = TOTAL - 4433
    Current Debt: Loan - 0, Credit Card 1 - 1346, Credit Card 2 - 906 Interest free overdraft -0 = TOTAL - 2252
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Er no brainer he has the money he said he'd take her he didn't say 'well I'll take you as long as it's cheap' he should've investigated the prices before saying he'd take her if he was that worried. So don't be a tight git and take the girl lol.
    :p
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    He should say he can't get away for her birthday because of work, and book it for when the fares are cheaper, using the money he saved to buy her a nice meal on her birthday. I certainly wouldn't tell her it was more expensive than I was expecting as you are basically saying she isn't worth it!
    so you'd prefer someone who's obviously a liar to make up work stories if he's going to wiggle out of it then he should tell the truth nothing worse than dating a liar or a skint flint:rotfl:
    :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport