Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips

Options

Comments

• kam4888
    Options
    I had a consultation at the optimax clinic in Birmingham. I have been given a price for the basic treatment and the Wavefront technology. There is a about a £600 differenece between the two prices. I am unsure which treatment is better. Is the wavefront a much better treatment. What are peoples views and experiences in this matter?
  • neilski_2
    Options
    Hey,

Had a consultation with both Optimax and Optical Express, felt more reassured with Optical Express and preferred them as they offer the aftercare which wasnt an option with Optimax, also Optimax was more expensive for the same treatment.....

Just something to keep in mind :j
  • WATTY1978
    WATTY1978 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i'm after a bit of advice.

i recently had a consultation with Optical express, their service was fantastic on the day but after i went home i noticed an error. the optician wrote down and quoted me 695(surgeon cut) or 1295(machine cut) per eye for LASIK wavefront but the paperwork said 995 and 1295.

i queried it the very next day but they said the optician must have misquoted and the chap who answered the phone was very rude to me.

my sign is only -1.50 and -2.00 so it isn't bad, i have no issues with my eyes and they said surgery would be straight forward because of this, i'm just not sure whether this is expensive, its certainly not the 'from 395 per eye' they always advertise but i was quite realistic and didn't expect this.

would be happy to pay around £700 per eye but want an honest opinion - am i dreaming??

honest advice welcomed

ps would also be curious as to who does get the 395 per eye price? a girl i work with said her partner did and he had really bad eyes - there doesnt seem to be any logic to how they charge if thisis the case.
    :)
  • busymum1
    busymum1 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

I am 32 year old and have SPH -1.25 R and L -1.00 with CYL -.25 in both eyes and axis R15 and 12.5 in L. Thinking of going for Laser eye treatment. can anyone suggest if they had similar prescription and what treatment that have gobe for and how much it has costed them.

Many Thanks in advance.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    busymum1 wrote: »
    Hi All

I am 32 year old and have SPH -1.25 R and L -1.00 with CYL -.25 in both eyes and axis R15 and 12.5 in L. Thinking of going for Laser eye treatment. can anyone suggest if they had similar prescription and what treatment that have gobe for and how much it has costed them.

Many Thanks in advance.

Price of LAS depends on type of surgery you seek i.e. LASIK or LASEK.
    With optical express surgery price will vary with your prescription (good news for you meaning a lower cost) whereas other places such as Ultralase have fixed costs. Optimax run special promos. To be honest be happy with the Surgeon and Clinic, not cost driven as primary factor.
  • christhedon
    Options
    busymum1 wrote: »
    Hi All

Many Thanks in advance.

Hi busymum,

I'm in pretty much the same circumstance with a slightly higher prescription -1.5 each eye and sometimes my tear ducts get blocked causing dryness, but I hardly get symptoms from that (excessive stinging say twice a month if that)... Anyway I've had consultations and been quoted (I guess top end without discounts) around 2600 from optical express, Ultralase and London eye clinic 4600. And Moorfields just a bit less than that. Out of those three I think Optimax was the only one that varied the price against the prescription.

I'm interested to hear what happened with others with our prescription...

Cheers,

Chris
  • james87
    james87 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi I am thinking of having a consultation at Optical Express. What would you normally need to take with you on the day?

Would they need to see your previous eye sight test history as my sight hasn’t been stable for a year but I told optical express about this and they still seem to want to give me a consultation as they could still do the surgery with a 6 month stable prescription.

I am 22 and have -5 in both eyes.

Any thoughts?
  • james87
    james87 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    Hi James,
    if you have previous prescriptions take them with you, as they need to determine if your eyesight is stable i.e. not deterioting at fast rate before they can recommend your suitability for treatment. If i was you get some more opinions from different clinics, as advice can vary.

(If you do decide on Optical express i am offering £175 off by my referral offer).

Thanks for your help, I have booked a consultation for next tuesday with optical express so I will let you know how I get on.
  • diamond
    diamond Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there anyone who has had surgery with a really high prescription? I have had a consultation with Optical Express and Ultralase and they have both said I am fine to go ahead but I am really scared. I am so desperate to have this done I keep dreaming about waking up and being able to see!!

I want to have it done but don't know anyone who has had it done with a prescription anywhere near mine.

L-10 and R-9.75

Optimax don't treat over or near -10 so they are out of the question. I am thinking about going abroad as some places have more experienced consultants and newer machinery such as femtosecond (very fast basically).

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Dreaming about 20/20 vision :rotfl:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My DH keeps nagging me to look into this.

I have -2.5 for short sight & +1.0 for reading.

Does it work on both types?

I'm 42, is it worth it? Will I still need readers - which I'm just starting to need?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure