Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips

Options

Comments

• sec79
    sec79 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    diamond wrote: »

I want to have it done but don't know anyone who has had it done with a prescription anywhere near mine.

L-10 and R-9.75

QUOTE]

Mine were -13.50 in both eyes and I was told they laser wouldn't work as they were too bad. I had intra occular lenses inserted 2 weeks ago. If you have a high prescription there are other alternatives available. To find out what these are, you'd need to speak to one of the eye clinics
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    sec79 wrote: »
    diamond wrote: »

I want to have it done but don't know anyone who has had it done with a prescription anywhere near mine.

L-10 and R-9.75

QUOTE]

Mine were -13.50 in both eyes and I was told they laser wouldn't work as they were too bad. I had intra occular lenses inserted 2 weeks ago. If you have a high prescription there are other alternatives available. To find out what these are, you'd need to speak to one of the eye clinics

How much were the lens implant thingies?

My husband is getting his done as he has cataracts. Must admit I was quite envious when he was told he wouldn't need glasses anymore, except perhaps some simple magnifiers for reading.
  • diamond
    diamond Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2010 at 12:23AM
    Options
    sec79 wrote: »

Thanks for this, I considered the implanted lens and I've heard it's better than laser. I'm completely obsessive in my research on the subject, I check about 8 or 9 sites every day. The downside of ICL means me having to save for at least another year though :(

I have finally made up my mind to do it and the thought of going on like this is frustrating. I am just desperate to do day to day things without the stress of lenses or glasses!

Do you mind giving a ball park figure of the cost?
    Dreaming about 20/20 vision :rotfl:
  • sec79
    sec79 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the lenses put in under general anaesthetic. I paid £6000, £1000 of this was for having the the general anaesthetic. Ultralase quoted me £6,300. However they only do the operation by local and not general.
  • simoncarrington
    Options
    I have a referral code for £500 off if anyone is interested in it, Email me for details and I will speak to OPTIMAX to find out all about it. I had the treatment done nearly a year ago and they keep sending me flyers with a code on offering my friends £500 off treatment if they book using my referal but I keep throwing it away. Now I have just stumbled on this I wont throw any more away I will keep it for referance.

You have nothing to lose if you were getting it done but £500 to gain €:~)
  • jolynchie
    Options
    I went for a consultation last week at Optical Express. Getting Waverfront done on 19th Feb. The lady there asked me where I worked and I got 10% corporate discount because I work for the council....I know with some companies though you can get up to 25%-definitely worth asking for
  • james87
    james87 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    On request from some members i am now offering £200 discount if you use my special vouchers for Optical Express Eye Surgery. These are valid for use until end of Feb. Please see referral thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=474320

Hi, can these vouchers be used alongside the 10% off that OE usually give you if you have the treatment within 10 days of the consultation??
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    james87 wrote: »
    Hi, can these vouchers be used alongside the 10% off that OE usually give you if you have the treatment within 10 days of the consultation??

Best you call them to ask, but i doubt they will honour both, but you never know! If so send me a pm with your name, address, clinic and email. I will then post you a voucher first class.
  • tamsin101
    Options
    I have a referral code for £500 off if anyone is interested in it, Email me for details and I will speak to OPTIMAX to find out all about it. I had the treatment done nearly a year ago and they keep sending me flyers with a code on offering my friends £500 off treatment if they book using my referal but I keep throwing it away. Now I have just stumbled on this I wont throw any more away I will keep it for referance.

You have nothing to lose if you were getting it done but £500 to gain €:~)

I'd definately be interested in a referal voucher. I had my consultation today and have been given the go ahead.....
  • jcowling
    Options
    Hi
    I just received some money off vouchers from optical express.
    I had the surgery 10 months ago and everything has been great, I would highly recommend the surgery to anyone considering it.
    I have received the Referral rewards whereby if someone has a consultation before 27th of February and surgery before 13th of March.
    There is a condition that the voucher must be presented at the consultation.

The voucher is for a discount of £150 for the surgery and £150 to me for being a referrer, so everybody wins :j.
    Please get in touch and I can send you a voucher in the post.
    If you are thinking about getting surgery I would definitely recommend Optical Express but it is also worth having a consultation with other companies as they all vary in price depending on the type of surgery that is needed.

Thanks
    James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family