Neighbour keeps littering MY back Garden

Options

Comments

• Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    *Accidentally* spill paint stripper over his car... that'll learn 'im
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • Spartacus_Mills
    Options
    Get some OXO cubes, crumble them, and litter them around his front law and his back lawn.

The neighbourhood dogs will go barmy digging up his lawn.
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2009 at 11:27PM
    Options
    Get some OXO cubes, crumble them, and litter them around his front law and his back lawn.

The neighbourhood dogs will go barmy digging up his lawn.
    I do like the idea, but our gardens at the rear are secured so not much chance of dogs getting in, we both have pretty big back gardens with lovely lawns and flowers, with his respect for his own garden you would think he would respect me for mine.

Today alone I have had 5 cigarette ends launched out from his bedroom rear window into my garden, I really cant understand why he insists on doing this, its not as if it is accidental, this is a deliberate act that is going to continue unless I can do something about it.

Upto now I have sided onto the idea of collecting the dimps in a flower pot (it will be full within a week), but what to do with them from there is anyone's guess, I will take them around and pass them onto him asking (yet again) to refrain from discarding them into my garden,,,, but I just know he isn't going to take notice.

I wish I knew what his problem was, as its really starting to stress me out.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem with all the people suggesting the oxo cubes and spilling paint stripper on his car is then he goes to the police concerning harrassment and you get in trouble. You then ask them why they are taking action agasint you when he is throwing cigarette butts in your garden every day. They then point out to you then he made a complaint while you decided to take your own action.

The best way to deal with trouble neighbours is to keep reporting them until someone takes action and not give them any excuse to make complaints about you. Otherwise you end up in trouble and not them. One thing that is true in life is if someone is causing you a nusiance (wether its intentional or not) that they will quick to complain if you cause them a nusiance.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you could try to have a frank discussion with him,is there anyone else living in the house who seems more approachable? There are warning signs there though that he is going to be a problem.You've hinted,now ask directly for him to stop,and why he is doing it.If it continues go down the official route.Is he definitely the owner or a tenant?
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    just a suggestion - personally i would buy a nice big ashtray in a charity shop wrap it nicely and call round with his present and explain that you thought as he doesnt seem to have one in rear bedroom you have bought him one!!! would be hard for him to take offence as you are being so nice! if he doesnt take the hint - then i would contact council.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Options
    Keep them for a week, wrap them in an old towel set light then chuck them back
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • steveo3002
    Options
    shove em in a huge jiffy bag until its full ...2nd class stamp , he will then have to go collect it from the posty and pay for the undepaid postage

or if it was me ...id keep em in a bucket and knock on his door and hoof em down the hall way

prob gona have to turn nasty really isnt it ...shame theres such scum about
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2009 at 12:30PM
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    wish I knew what his problem was, as its really starting to stress me out.

I suspect that's why he's continuing to do it - you've shown him that he;s able to wind you up.

I think the ASBO & littering routes mentioned earlier are the best ideas.

Does your council have a Neighbour Dispute resolution service (part of the ASBO co-ordinator job)? http://www.asb.homeoffice.gov.uk/article.aspx?id=9132&terms=neighbour+dispute+mediation&searchtype=1&fragment=False

Other ideas:-

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to raise your dividing fence to a height that he couldn't throw them over (even in perspex)?

Have you got video of him actually doing it? (Maplin do some cameras you can hook up to a TV/ video recorder or PC). EDIT - you need to be careful about setting up a camera to spy only on your neighbours, but if it was set up to watch the back of your house and at the side you could see this guy throwing his rubbish onto you property, I suspect that would be justifiable)

If the council won't take it any further you could threaten to sue him for the costs of cleaning your back garden - get a quote from a professional cleaner to use and then if he continues and you have the video, you could issue a claim in the small claims court. If he doesn't pay, you can go back to court and get baliffs to seize his goods. The downside is that whatever is motivating him to do it now will turn into a massive grudge. Mediation is a much better option.
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
  • angle
    angle Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Report him to the council. Its a criminal offence to litter which he is doing (unless he has your permission to place his rubbish on your property).

I thought that it wasn't actually illegal to throw your litter in someone else's garden. Bizarrely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport