Handset:
    nec e616

Most commonly used location:
    Ayrshire, South West Scotland

Ease and reliability and connection:
    in town, great. on the train, loses about 15 mins or so on a 45 min journey

Any other problems:
    phone reboots itself from time to time

Overall service and rating (out of 10):probably about 7 out of 10, they are incredibly cheap, and though I lose some connectivity in the train, it's generally quite good.
    Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol
  • Drummerboy_3
    Options
    Handset: Motorola A920, now an LG 8120

Most commonly used location: Norfolk

Ease and reliability and connection:

I joined 3 last September when my Orange contract ran out. Blinded by the prospect of free x-network mins, and video calling etc. Had the A920 at first - utter pile of crap. I don't think there's anough space here to say how many things went wrong with that handset, AND how badly treated I was by 3 "customer services" AND the 3 store where I live. Here's a few "highlights" though:

I speak to the 3 store in my home town, and they tell me that I can get my A920 "flashed" for free with new software, to enable it to do infrared, bluetooth etc. "Cool" I think. They also say it might stop the rarely advertised "turning on and off without me asking it to" function. They even give me a loan phone whilst mine is being sorted. 4 days passes. A920 comes back. It's just the same as it was when I took it in. Next they offer to collect it from my house via a courier, and take it away to be sorted properly. I wait in all day. They never came. I phoned up the 3 "customer services" and asked them what was going on. They said they never do that kind of thing and don't offer a "collection by courier" service. Bizarre.

My 3 store in my home city then tell me that I can have a brand new A925 instead (FOC!) - they've cleared it with the manager and it's all ok - they will call me when it's in. I wait. And wait. I call and am told "they're due in next week". I call again 2 weeks later and am told by the manager that they cannot offer me an A925, and whoever said I could have one was mistaken.

General coverage with A920 was terrible. Phone was awful (always crashing and freezing up) and customer services in India were very nice but useless. And having any kind of slightly technical conversation with them is impossible.

BUT.....

Having spoken to a happy friend with an LG8120, I renewed my contract and now have the LG phone. 10x better coverage, better handset, (small, doesn't crash). I still have some dropped calls and even a number of what seem to be crossed lines, where I phone numbers via my phonebook and get through to a total stranger who can hardly hear what I say. Weird. Still, it is cheap, and I have almost endless free mins and texts.

Overall service and rating (out of 10): 5/10

Maybe I should have gone back to Orange - especially if they could match the 3 prices. And Orange customer services were always very nice (and always spoke English as a first language...!) Well, only about 10 months to go........!
  • optique
    optique Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    LG 8110 on £25/month. Started in June. Took ages to transfer my old number -- eventually turned out they had taken down a wrong digit from the PAC code.

At first, calls were cutting out often, especially after 10 or 20 minutes, even when I was just sat at home in the same place. This happens more rarely now.

Also, it will sometimes just refuse to dial, and I either have to keep trying or power down and switch on again. This is annoying, but it now only happens rarely (say once in ten calls dialled).

Reception is fair across whole of London, and also when I have travelled. No worse than housemates on Orange etc.

It's very very cheap!

Overall -- 7 out of 10 -- but patience needed.
  • helena257
    Options
    I seem to be having to turn my phone off and then on to get better reception. If it wasnt so cheap i wouldnt bother. But it is.
  • gonzo10
    gonzo10 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Handset: Motorola A835

Most commonly used location: North Devon

Ease and reliability and connection: Very easy phone to use (atleast I think it is!). Never had any problems with it, doesnt drop calls or anything. Connection is supprisingly good since I'm more or less in the middle of know where.

Any other problems: Just started to get 3G in the area and only seems to work occasionaly - but I dont use it so it doesnt really bother me!

Overall service and rating (out of 10): A whopping 9 out of 10 because I have never... touch wood... had a problem.
  • Jeff121
    Jeff121 Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Handset NEC e616
    Location Glasgow & West of Scotland

Having already voiced my opinion about 3 on earlier pages "c - - p" cuts a long story short I thought I would add this to my list of complaints having suffered 3 since May 04. I have contacted 3 and given them the post codes of areas where I find 3 worst for dropped calls and to my disappointment but not to my surprise "they have no plans to upgrade their service in those areas in the near future" Anyone looking for lots of cheap mobile minutes, shop around before you commit yourself to 3. I know that they are cheap but a full year of a 2nd rate service is a long time to suffer dropped calls and a lot of time wasted trying to connect a call when there's other networks out there that offer reliability at much the same price. Price might seem like everything when you are looking for a good mobile deal but what good is a mobile phone when it doesn't work when and where you need it to work 3 is Not Reliable, you will likely suffer 12 months of misery with 3 and like me have to carry a 2nd phone to stay connected. If a reliable mobile connection is important to you, don't touch 3.

Rating out of 10
    overall I'd give 3 the 3 they deserve and that's being generous, I wish I had never heard of them!
  • cheersthanksbye
    Options
    i have a motorola A920. by manually setting the network to O2 there is no additional charge and the network is more reliable. it does mean that you cant use the video call facility but i didnt really get the phone for that reason, more for the cheap calls.

I too have this phone and TRIED to do this. However, I cannot add any network to my favourite list - the button is there to do it but it is greyed out. How did you do it? Cheers!
  • Smartasss
    Smartasss Posts: 873 Forumite
    Options
    This definitely works with the Nokia 7600 once it has had the factory reset.
  • Up_to_date
    Options
    I went shopping today, 06/12/04.

Phone is an NEC c616 (Flip) Video/still's.
    With spare battery, hands free(cable, but can take blue.)
    House charger, usb cable and a 16mb memory card(upgradable)

Operator - 3. (PAYG)

Price, and this is the best bit.. £45.00p, with £15 credit. (£30 for the phone?The sting is the downloads!!)

Place, was Carphone Warehouse, but I got the last one in stock from them in central London. (enquired in the Vauxhall Bridge rd SW1 shop, had to go to Theobolds road WC1, for it.)

If you want one, the offer is on until the new year, I think. (That's if 3 get more of them shipped in)

I've wanted a camera phone for ages, now I have one  ;D

Very limited in what can be done with the phone initially (no games on it, apart from the camera..But for a small fee, you may increase the fun to be had, or use a PC to upload to a duostick memorycard whatever you may find on the web that is suitable, and a lot cheaper)
  • Russ66
    Russ66 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went shopping today, 06/12/04.

Phone is an NEC c616 (Flip) Video/still's.
    With spare battery, hands free(cable, but can take blue.)
    House charger, usb cable and a 16mb memory card(upgradable)

Operator - 3. (PAYG)

Price, and this is the best bit.. £45.00p, with £15 credit. (£30 for the phone?The sting is the downloads!!)

Place, was Carphone Warehouse, but I got the last one in stock from them in central London. (enquired in the Vauxhall Bridge rd SW1 shop, had to go to Theobolds road WC1, for it.)

If you want one, the offer is on until the new year, I think. (That's if 3 get more of them shipped in)

I've wanted a camera phone for ages, now I have one  ;D

Very limited in what can be done with the phone initially (no games on it, apart from the camera..But for a small fee, you may increase the fun to be had, or use a PC to upload to a duostick memorycard whatever you may find on the web that is suitable, and a lot cheaper)

??? ??? Where have you been, On The Moon? ??? ???

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
    You're Damned If You Do & You're Damned If You Don't :doh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family