NatWest's 'Rapport' software - should I install it?

Options

Comments

• aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    As an aside, I use it , as most do for Banking.As a backup, since my debacle with A&L, just before I log on to bank, I take a screen shot, and save it.Delete them monthly.It shows the log on page/time/and Rapport enabled.They insist on this if you are hacked anyway.Or A&L did.before I was given new pin.

Respect to that!

So A&L wouldnt have done anything had you not proven that you were using RAPPORT when you were hacked?

Are you also stating that rapport failed to stop you from getting hacked?
    :idea:
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2010 at 7:22PM
    Options
    aliEnRIK wrote: »
    Respect to that!

So A&L wouldnt have done anything had you not proven that you were using RAPPORT when you were hacked?

Are you also stating that rapport failed to stop you from getting hacked?
    Hi EnRIK, Rapport didn,t stop the ,alleged hack.I don't believe I was.I posted all correspondence between myself and A&L on here, and most aggreed with me,no hack.Just a way to get Rapport on, at a very great deal of running round to branch, passport.Rapport screenshots. rapport reports etc, Hence ,no A&L anymore.THeir advice was scrutinsed on here,by the likes of yourself, and proved, incorrect.It was a Saga, hence my screenshots now, for my benefit,only 1 second using Gadwin .A&L would not proceed with new pin till I produced screenshot to A&L, AND Rapport.They claimed, 2 steps of login was successfully breached.IE.customer number.and password, but failed third, cherished data.That's not A&L.s login procedure, they only ask for cherished Data IF Either of first two fail.Rapport "cannot "stop you getting hacked, it,s not designed for that, it,s just a keylog preventer, according to them, and a password monitor
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My apologies Joe. I hold my hand up that I cant remember this (Ive posted in that many threads ive probably forgotten 95% of it all)
    :idea:
  • joe134
    Options
    aliEnRIK wrote: »
    My apologies Joe. I hold my hand up that I cant remember this (Ive posted in that many threads ive probably forgotten 95% of it all)
    Hi, EnRIK< I know, you,ve helped me no end.Hear is just oneof A&L replies about it. There is a complete thread on it going back about 6 months ago, it may help other A&L /RAPPORT users, but it,s more for the savings thread, not the Techie********
    Thank you for your e-mail confirming installation of the Rapport software. I can confirm that your Internet Banking access has been reset and a new PIN has been sent, which you will receive within five working days. Once this has been received you will need to change it to a number of your own choice.
    If you need to contact us whilst waiting for the PIN, please only key your 8 digit Customer ID into the telephone. Do not enter anything when asked to enter a PIN and do not attempt to access your account via internet banking until your new PIN arrives.
    Kind regards,
    Internet Banking Helpdesk

This is just one of many, over three weeks to get my A/c unblocked.:beer:

Please open your internet browser and go to "internet options". You will find this via "tools" and delete your internet "cookies, files and history." Also go to your favourites and delete the link to Alliance & Leicester. Then go to your web address box (not a search engine) and type in "[URL="file://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/"]www.alliance-leicester.co.uk[/URL]", if it pre populates (highlights blue) or a drop down box appears, ignore and carry on typing address (go back and delete history again as possibly not done correctly). Once into alliance-leicester.co.uk, navigate to internet banking. You should delete your history etc on a regular basis. Then download Rapport. If you have any problems downloading Rapport, please call Trusteer on0203 239 2926.
    Once downloaded, go into internet banking and you will need to create a screen print showing the Green Rapport logo on the address bar. The screen print should then be forwarded to; Rapport@alliance-leicester.co.uk To do the screen print, make sure you have the web page showing the Green Rapport logo, press "Ctrl+Print Scrn" and then go to "Word" and do right click and paste. You can also use "Paint" which is usually located via "All programs then accessories" and just press "Print Scrn". This should deposit a screen shot of the logo screen on to "Word". You then need to save this and send
    to Rapport@alliance-leicester.co.uk as an attachment, please enclose your 8 digit id's. You should then all receive a new five digit pin via the post.
    When you have received your new pin, log on to internet banking via your web address box. When in internet banking, ensure the web address looks ok, it should be secure ie https and have alliance-leicester/mybank in the address box. While navigating internet banking you should always have a secure site ie https until you log out. If you find the site is unsecure although still in Internet Banking or there are any unusual names in the title, come out straight away and speak to our Customer Services.
    Any emails you receive and are not expecting, from any bank or a private source, please delete. If it is from Alliance Leicester and genuine, we will contact you via another route. If you still have the fraudulent email, please forward it to; suspiciousemails@alliance-leicester.co.uk
    If you have problems doing the screen print, please action the following:
    If a customer is having a problem obtaining a screenshot of the Rapport download, advise them to visit the Trusteer site;
    http://www.trusteer.com/confirm
    They will be asked to complete the following form
  • TwistedPsycho
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    That's not A&L.s login procedure, they only ask for cherished Data IF Either of first two fail.

That was, and continues to be, rubbish.

I have been asked for cherished data a number of times on both A&L and the "Santander-branded" A&L banking logins when I have accessed the site from work.

On both occasions it was after my (successful) input of a valid customer ID and before the first request for a PIN.

and I can not believe that anyone at my office would go looking for my banking details, especially with nothing ever stored by way of customer ID on there and the fact that I work in a single-manned office so no-one can even watch me type it in.
    Signaller, author, father, carer.
  • joe134
    edited 3 December 2010 at 1:52PM
    Options
    That was, and continues to be, rubbish.

I have been asked for cherished data a number of times on both A&L and the "Santander-branded" A&L banking logins when I have accessed the site from work.

On both occasions it was after my (successful) input of a valid customer ID and before the first request for a PIN.

and I can not believe that anyone at my office would go looking for my banking details, especially with nothing ever stored by way of customer ID on there and the fact that I work in a single-manned office so no-one can even watch me type it in.

There's always one, READ THIS FROM A&L.JUST ANOTHER of many,
    Thank you for your email.
    As I have not confirmed any security, the following response is not specific to your account, it will cover internet banking as a whole.
    When an account holder logs on to Internet Banking (I/B), the system first needs to identify the account and to do this you must enter your 8 digit ID and then 5 digit pin. The system will then look at the computer ID and if this is different to the computer previously used, the system will then challenge it. It is at that point that the specific cherished data is required.
    It is not possible for the system to challenge a computer without the necessary ID and pin, because without that information, the system would not be able to identify the actual account holder and check the computer.
    With regard your further query, additional information could possibly be requested to be presented at a branch, even though security has been passed via the telephone, if Customer Services were concerned with the overall security of the account. This is to safeguard the account holder and the bank.
    Hope this is satisfactory, any queries please call or drop me an email.
    Regards

FRM
    Alliance & Leicester
    7 East Admin
    Bootle, Merseyside
    GIR 0AA
    Tel: 0151 966 2117

It,s because you logged in from work, perhaps that you needed cherished data.I have another e-mail if you want confirming they ID your computer , so cherished data is not required.WHY do you think I and a host of others left.If I can locate the thread for you, I will.
    Hi

My understanding is that our system will identify your pc each time you log in and you won't need to submit further details. That being said, if we do ask for further details, we will not ask for everything, you will only be asked for part of your cherished data.

If you have not received your pin in the next few days, please drop me your postcode and I will chase this up for you.

Regards

FRM
    Very apt username.someones obviously pressed your button.I can see why you work in a single manned office.There,s more to internet banking that You and I will ever know.
  • Andrew1472
    Options
    I think I'd better own up.
    It seems I may have been mistaken in post 58 where I said Rapport was crashing Google Chrome:o
    The fact that nobody agreed got me thinking, and I disabled 2 extensions (ultimate chrome flag and hotmail checker). Chrome hasn't crashed since, where it used to crash 2 or 3 times a day. I really should have thought of doing this before now.
    I haven't got as far as identifying which one of the extensions was causing the problem, but to be fair to Rapport they do say that not all extensions have been tested in their support pages.
    So now Rapport is running happily with both Firefox and Chrome, with no noticeable performance issues.
    I still prefer Firefox for what it's worth.
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Options
    I've recently had some trouble with A/L and rapport. They tried to force it on my as they have with others saying my account had been compromised etc. Problem being I'm running linux and rapport doesn't work which they didn't really understand. At one point I was convinced they were going to tell me to buy windows.

I use a password manager for finance stuff all set to change the passwords every six months, so even on windows why would I need rapport?
  • Londomer
    Options
    Just read all 4 pages.

Then realised Rapport doesn't work on PPC Macs.

Fail².
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    23n1th wrote: »
    I've recently had some trouble with A/L and rapport. They tried to force it on my as they have with others saying my account had been compromised etc. Problem being I'm running linux and rapport doesn't work which they didn't really understand. At one point I was convinced they were going to tell me to buy windows.

I use a password manager for finance stuff all set to change the passwords every six months, so even on windows why would I need rapport?

Crapport .. .. .. is / was so good HSBC are now giving the equally carp McAfee away instead .. at least its fire~to~frying~pan and not the other way round :eek:
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure